Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Who got the new Tom & Jerry set? and how is it?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Who got the new Tom & Jerry set? and how is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts
Here's a very nice review from our own Randy Miller:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12842
Old 10-21-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know exactly what has been edited out?
Old 10-21-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nevermind, just read Randy's review.
Old 10-22-04, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 993 Likes on 693 Posts
BTW if anyone didn't know it is on sale until Sat at Target for $15.99 and there is a $10 off coupon for the purchase of two WB collections.
Old 10-23-04, 01:45 PM

I would like to purchase this set but I thought I would wait until the were selling the unedited versions. Does anyone know when these should be available? Or how to tell if you are getting the newer set or not?

Thanks,

Gracee
Old 10-23-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Jerry Beck's quote earlier in this very thread:
Those of you waiting for the uncut disc 1 to appear on store shelves, I cannot say when that will happen. It will not happen soon. The quickest way to get the set the way you want it is to buy it now and go through the replacement process.
Old 10-23-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gracee
I would like to purchase this set but I thought I would wait until the were selling the unedited versions. Does anyone know when these should be available? Or how to tell if you are getting the newer set or not?

Thanks,

Gracee
Have you read the rest of the thread at all? At least six to eight weeks until the remastered are even available for exchange, and before those make it to store shelves all the copies that have already been pressed will have to sell out, including copies that are sitting in warehouses.

Universal corrected the misframed "Back to the Future" box set years ago and no one has ever reported finding the corrected version on store shelves yet.

In the meantime, through tonight you can pick this up on sale for $15.99 and enjoy it until the corrected version is made available for exchange. Or you can wait god knows how long and then buy it when it isn't on sale cheap.

I say buy it now.
Old 10-23-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LorenzoL
Does anybody know if this set was delayed here in Canada?

I have yet to find them in any B&M stores.
Its not out till the 26th according to Amazon.ca
Old 10-23-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dazed
Its not out till the 26th according to Amazon.ca
Walmart here in Edmonton has it on the shelf already.
Old 10-25-04, 08:32 PM

Just a few clarifications :

- the release of this set and the Wacky Races set were delayed for a week in Canada. They should both be released on the 26th but I know for sure that Amazon.ca sent copies before changing the release date in their database.

- Don't count on a corrected set to be released for quite a while. According to the little thaat is known now, it could be months or years before a corrected version is released if ever. The replacement program will be the only way to get an uncencored disc one for quite a while and if what I belive is true, people not buying this set could prevent Warner from puting further efforts to release the remaining Tom and Jerry shorts on DVD or a Tex Avery box set in the future.

- For them to be all released on DVD, the classical Tom and Jerry cartoon directed by Hanna and Barbera would only need two more 2 discs sets. That is if they keep on producing sets with 40 cartoons on each ones.

- It is very unlikely that a 4th set could be created to include the Gene Deitch and Chuck Jones "Tom and Jerry cartoons" and I strongly doubt that there are current plans for those to be released any time soon.

- Other than that minor incident which Warner already offered to repair, the set is great and includes things we may not have seen for quite a while (if at all!) like widescreen cartoons. It is more than worth the small price they are asking for it and I do suggest that you get your copy and appreciate the other 37 cartoons until a replacement disc is ready.