Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Mummy Legacy Collection Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mummy Legacy Collection Problem

I just picked up all three of the just-released Universal Legacy Collections (Mummy, Invisible Man & The Creature) at BB. I always open the disks in my car before leaving the store to check for scratches. The second disk in the Mummy set had an abrasion on the exposed side (it's a two-sided disk) possibly from the paper insert. I returned it and got another copy. I opened that one and it had the same abrasion. I brought that one back and I opened a third package in the store. It also had an abrasion on the second disk but this time it was on the other (protected) side. They wouldn't let me open the last one that was on the shelf so I got my money back.

Is anyone else having problems with this set?
Old 10-19-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I just noticed mine had an abrasion as well, just thought maybe it was just from the paper as well. As far as trying to return it, I haven't tried yet. And the crappy part is, they haven't recieved the 'creature' monster legacy collection set yet....
Old 10-19-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You'd think they'd wrap a Mummy disc better. Go figure.
Old 10-19-04, 05:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

This reminds me of the problems I had with the first set released.

I did not pick up the new collection today because I knew in my gut I would be doing the return thing over and over again.

Not sure why they did not learn from the first collection?
Old 10-19-04, 05:22 PM

Calling Universal

I picked up mummy legacy at BB, but have not opened it yet.
I would like to hear the results from others who opened theirs no matter where you bought it..
Are they all damaged? if so I will be calling Universal this week.
Old 10-19-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
No problem here
Old 10-19-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
No abrasion here but the first Mummy disc was scratched all to hell! My Invisibal Man disc had a scratch on it too. DAMN IT! You'd think Universal would have learned from the first series. Back tot he store I go.
Old 10-19-04, 05:39 PM

I bought the Creature From the Black Lagoon Legacy collection today. Very nice set, no problems here.
Old 10-19-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well go figure! Returned it, and the minor abrasions are still there. Granted, the disc should still play just fine because they're very minor indeed. BUT, when I pay money for something, I expect the disc to be 100% clean of any kind of damage, no matter how little it may be.
Old 10-19-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Costco had unblemished first wave legacy sets. As well as Star Trek:TOS sets. (while other stores had scratched discs, broken hubs, etc.) It would not surprise me if this 2nd wave of legacy sets are also free from defects.
Old 10-19-04, 07:12 PM

Picked up all 3 sets at costco, the mummy disc 1 has some abrasions on it, looks like whoever packaged it set the disc in then moved it around the tap till it fell in place. Other 2 sets was fine
Old 10-19-04, 07:17 PM

Dunno. For me right now: No busts, no buy.
Old 10-19-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Why did I order these from Amazon? I knew better, but I still did it anyway. Its going to be a hassle getting a decent set.
Old 10-19-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by surfingelectrod
Dunno. For me right now: No busts, no buy.
Well your stubborn attitude isn't going to persuade Universal to go ahead and make sets again. I can already see they're going to have a big problem with The Mummy sets, trust me, I've had quite the adventure tonight trying to find a decent set ANYWHERE. And they'd have big problems with a box set being returned instead of just one set at a time. Universal instead of improving their products, are just making an awareness to where they might be able to save some money in packaging and returns. If you want to the movies themselves, buy them. There's no reason you shouldn't buy the films if you want to watch them. If you didn't want them that bad, then so be it.
Old 10-19-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
Why did I order these from Amazon? I knew better, but I still did it anyway. Its going to be a hassle getting a decent set.
I ordered the first set from Amazon, no problems at all. Picked these up today, slight mark on the second disk (Mummy set)--I'll most likely play it before trying to return it, since it's really small, and I got the last set at one Best Buy (and they were sold out at the other).
Old 10-20-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just opened up my Mummy set and it appeared to have scuff marks on disc 2. With my eyeglass cleaner I wiped them and they came right off.
Old 10-20-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked mine up at Costco tonight. No scuff marks. There was some (pretty heavy/thick) dust on disc 1, but I wiped that off with a soft cloth, and both discs are perfect.
Old 10-20-04, 04:55 AM

Update: I went to another BB in another state to get the remaining Mummy set. That one had a minor abrasion on it but I kept it. I watched the first film on that disk with no problem.
But there is still something curious. Only the Mummy seems to have this problem and that set is $5 cheaper than the other two at BB. Coincidence?
Old 10-20-04, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the post PJaceto.
Just how big is this abrasion?
I suspect eye glass cleaner polished the mark so it was hard to see (for the laser and you) . It seems so far that only/mostly BB discs are damaged in the exact same way.
Something tells me BB is getting rid of a bad run for Universal.
I still have not opened mine. I might return it and buy it at target or walmart. Its 5$ more but BB can be real jerks about returns/exchanges.

I would still like to hear waht others see. If Target/walmrt/circuit city/ Deepdiscount/ Amazon.. If these guys also have scuff marks on disc 2. It might be a wasted effort.
Old 10-20-04, 08:57 AM
Banned

I just picked up all three of the just-released Universal Legacy Collections (Mummy, Invisible Man & The Creature) at BB. I always open the disks in my car before leaving the store to check for scratches. The second disk in the Mummy set had an abrasion on the exposed side (it's a two-sided disk) possibly from the paper insert. I returned it and got another copy. I opened that one and it had the same abrasion. I brought that one back and I opened a third package in the store. It also had an abrasion on the second disk but this time it was on the other (protected) side. They wouldn't let me open the last one that was on the shelf so I got my money back.

Is anyone else having problems with this set?
Good job! Now no one in your area can purchase it at that store! Good goin gettin anal on something that wouldn't even had affected the playability of the DVD!
Old 10-20-04, 09:18 AM

Mrchuck999,
The mark is about a half an inch across.

QuiGonJosh,
If I'm paying my good money for something, I expect it to be perfect. All of the other disks from that set are. This type of imperfection may not affect the player I have today, but I expect to own my DVD collection for decades. A player I own in the future may have problems with an iffy disk. The way I see it, I did all the customers in my area a favor.
Old 10-20-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got mine and the Invisible Man set. Haven't checked it, though. Was it $15.99 at BB for anyone else? I was wondering why the other two cost $19.99, while that one seemed to have a first week sale.
Old 10-20-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My mummy set had a scratch on disc 2, but I'm just dealing with it. Other two sets were fine. Creature was perfect and Invisible man disc 2 just had a smudge.
Old 10-20-04, 02:35 PM

My guess –was- that “the mummy” has the modern-day re-makes backing it thus BB might expect higher sales if the dvd were priced-to-sell. But no one else and I mean no one else is doing this. I find it very interesting that BB has a way lower price on Mummy, yet none of us got a clean disc from BestBuy. BestBuy is so huge they can could indeed except an entire flawed production run and get a price break from Universal to unload them quickly. The proof will be as everyone reports in (with the store they used) so we can see if BB is selling a bad run of discs.

In contrast to my Creature disc was opened with fingerprints found on it and my invisible man is not perfect as well. They both came from Target in Minnesota. None of those defects were alarming, only a little disappointing. I will play them through and exchange at target’s quality CS counter if there is a problem.
Old 10-20-04, 02:45 PM

While we’re at it.. Take note all Invisible Man owners:

(clip from dvd-verdict review)
http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/in...ight=invisible

The only dissatisfying feature is that the film synopses are given on a thin insert that comes loose inside the package; it would have been preferable to have this information on the slip cover or disc case. Viewers should also check out The Invisible Man Returns to make sure their copy isn't flawed; mine had a hitch in playback just over an hour in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.