Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there be a new version of The Exorcist?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to pick this one up, but it seems like a movie that might get another realease. I would like to see the extended version with the doc. thats on the original disk. Anyone have any info?
Old 10-19-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's no duplicate information between the two special editions... I suppose they may put together an uber edition down the road, but I doubt it'll be soon.

Personally, I disliked the "Version You've Never Seen" and the commentary on that edition is terrible. I went with the original edition (with decent commentaries and a great documentary).
Old 10-19-04, 09:51 AM

is the original release still in print?
Old 10-19-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by doraemon10
is the original release still in print?
As far as I know...

It certainly seems to be in stock just about everywhere (DVD Empire, BestPrices.com, DeepDiscountDVD, etc.)
Old 10-19-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Magic 8 Ball says: Doubtful
Old 10-19-04, 12:00 PM

Geez the DVD business is lame... I mean if Gothika can get a super 2 disk version surely The Exorcist can too.
Old 10-19-04, 12:05 PM
Banned

I really wish the Original Theatrical Version would get a restoration and new sound mix like the crappy TVYNS...
Old 10-19-04, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Doraemon, Gothica was made in 2003, Exorcist in 1973. 30 years difference. Maybe some bonus material made be hard to locate from 30 years ago rather then less then a year.
Old 10-19-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Buy the 25th ann edition, buy TVYNS... You have a two-disc set. I own both, like both cuts of the film and the doc on the 25th is excellent.
Old 10-19-04, 02:09 PM

Point being on the Gothika issue, isnt really age but rather they will milk anything, and if your gonna milk why not milk a good movie.
Old 10-19-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by doraemon10
Geez the DVD business is lame... I mean if Gothika can get a super 2 disk version surely The Exorcist can too.
Again, the 25th anniversary DVD has great picture/sound, a fantastic documentary, and two really good commentaries (writer and director).

What more could they possibly add? The other version of the film? I suppose, but again (a) most people prefer the original and (b) you can get the other version for pretty cheap and create your own 2-disc set, if you so desire.

There's really no reason to 'milk' this film. They nailed it early on with the 25th anniversary DVD. I'd rather have them move on and focus on other films (like Exorcist III, for example...)
Old 10-19-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
I'd rather have them move on and focus on other films (like Exorcist III, for example...)
Latest update on that from Captain Howdy...

Magazine Film Review just slipped me this Press Release for their upcoming issue, which should make Exorcist fans soil their pants once again!

Forget this prequel garbage we have been constantly fed recently. Remember the hype surrounding the Legion DVD? A DIRECTOR'S CUT? A cut by William Peter Blatty himself? Well hold your breath...

Film Review sits down with Exorcist journalist extraordinaire Mark Kermode to discuss the possible release of 'Legion 2.0' on DVD.

"I can attest to its haunting power, and ensure Exorcist fans that there is indeed a quirky undiscovered masterpiece still waiting to see the light of day" says Kermode.

At this stage, Morgan Creek have not been available to comment. Morgan Creek would hold the rights to any Exorcist DVD release.

So, hopefully that means that it's still a go...
Old 10-19-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I for one hope that the original version is not supplanted by TVYNS or whatever they call it. If they have to keep the new version around, then preserve the original as well. The new version is the one in the box set. Although to be fair WB seems to have a pretty good track record -- I believe they keep two versions of Amadeus in print, have released both versions of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Strangers on a Train. There may be other examples.

I for one thought that the original version was just about a perfect film and the changes just prove that the filmmakers got it right the first time. Kudos to WB though for making a few tweaks and garnering $40 million in box office for the release of the new version. Just keep the original around.
Old 10-19-04, 05:21 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They have all 3 movies for sales in a 3 pack, I think I'll hold off now.
Old 10-19-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really wish the Original Theatrical Version would get a restoration and new sound mix like the crappy TVYNS...
The original version looks nearly as good as TVYNS. However, there is no comparison as far as sound mix is concerned --- TVYNS blows the original away here. However, the original track still sounds decent for a movie of its age. It just can't compete with the TVYNS.

I usually only like to own one version of any particular movie. However, in this case (and Apocalypse Now), I own both.
Old 10-20-04, 02:23 AM

Actually I prefer the original original DVD release...mainly for the "red W" Warner logo introduction, subsequently changed to the latest Warner logo on 25th Anniversary/VYNS DVD editions. There is something about that red logo introduction that actually adds to the menace of the film.....

Last edited by abbatazappa; 10-20-04 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-20-04, 09:14 AM

I ended up picking up the VYNS because it was the only one Best Buy had in stock for the 2 for 20 deal. The actual disk is very nice, however the commentary is rather poor. Guess Ill have to pick up the older version as well.
Old 10-20-04, 09:31 AM
Banned

just sell TVYNS and get the SE...
Old 10-21-04, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im not sure why we need another dip on this one....no offense intended because I love the film.....TVYNS looks great.
Old 04-18-07, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by abbatazappa
Actually I prefer the original original DVD release...mainly for the "red W" Warner logo introduction, subsequently changed to the latest Warner logo on 25th Anniversary/VYNS DVD editions. There is something about that red logo introduction that actually adds to the menace of the film.....
Does anyone know if this version has been re-released on dvd, say the most recent 5 dvd box set?
Old 04-18-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Love the Anthology set. Grab it.
Old 04-19-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Love the Anthology set. Grab it.
Yeah, I have to agree with that, granted Exorcist II and Exorcist: The Beginning blow Barbara Bush's mangy twa... you get the picture.
Old 04-19-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
I believe they keep two versions of Amadeus in print
It seems to me like they technically keep discs like 'Amadeus' or 'The Exorcist' in print, but you can't actually find them in stores, because stores will usually carry at most one version of any given movie (or, at least, any old movie, old being pre-2003). Then the newer ones sell better, and it encourages studios to double-dip and to put out extended cuts (although, in those two cases, I think both of them have some artistic merit or raison d'etre; the writer/producer's cut of 'The Exorcist' is a worthwhile alternate, as is the director's cut of 'Amadeus'; I just wish they'd have a release with both, properly restored. I mean, the theatrical cut of 'Amadeus' is in print... but it's a flipper.).
Old 04-19-07, 12:09 PM

so, nobody can still confirm which of the 2 original versions is in the recent 5 disc set?
Old 04-19-07, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by polietilen
so, nobody can still confirm which of the 2 original versions is in the recent 5 disc set?
The original theatrical release with the red-logo and non-CGi'd face transformation is ONLY available on that original DVD release from 1997.

All the later DVD's ("25th Anniversary", "TVYNS") are the modified print with the newer WB logo and CGI at end. The box-set has the "25th Anniversary" disc as the "original version".

Good luck finding that 1997 disc - it's pretty scarce at this point.

PS - that old 1997 disc also features a different trailer for the film not included on the "25th Anniversary" or "TVYNS" versions.

Last edited by man*machine; 04-19-07 at 12:35 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.