Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Helsing Bonus Disc from Best Buy. New Features or 3-Disc peek?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the 40 minute bonus DVD that comes with the Single Disc version of Van Helsing at BB is full of exclusive featurettes or if they are just stuff from the Ultimate Edition.
Old 10-18-04, 01:12 AM

I'm 100% sure this bonus disc will be included in the single disc version. This bonus disc is BB exclusive and it is totally different from the 2nd disc in the ultimate DVD set. I do hope this bonus disc can be included in the ultimate DVD set too, which will make it a 4-disc set. Let's wait till tomorrow to see what's like.
Old 10-18-04, 01:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
That's Good! I'll just pick it up at Blockbuster with my value card then! I was worried for a minute there
Old 10-18-04, 09:18 AM
Banned

I was wondering this as well. Hopefully someone can verify this.
Old 10-18-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by The Monkees
That's Good! I'll just pick it up at Blockbuster with my value card then! I was worried for a minute there
How much will it be at Blockbuster ?
Old 10-19-04, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did anyone find the bonus disc on the 3 disc set? at my local BB the guy said it seems like its only included on the 1 disc.
Old 10-19-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I've been to 3 Best Buys today (trying to find one that had the Hellboy Gift Set- apparently, EVERY Best Buy from Montclair to Tarzana DID NOT get the gift set in...but I digress) and the Van Helsing Bonus DVD is ONLY EXCLUSIVE to the Single Disc Edition.

The Ulitmate Edition DOES NOT come with a Bonus DVD.

That said, what exactly is on the Bonus Disc? How long is it and is it worth picking up in lew of the Ultimate Edition?

Andrew

Last edited by The Valeyard; 10-19-04 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 07:51 PM

K, now...you guys are confusen' the heck outa me...is there gonna be an ultimate disc released or is the current one it.
Old 10-19-04, 08:24 PM

I picked up the 1 disc Van Helsing today and I made sure to get one that had the sticker that says "comes w/ free bonus disc" and mine doesn't have it.
Old 10-19-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by drugme
K, now...you guys are confusen' the heck outa me...is there gonna be an ultimate disc released or is the current one it.
What's there to be confused about? The ultimate edition was released today with a single disc one.
Old 10-19-04, 09:14 PM

It's been confirmed that the bonus disc is not included the ultimate 3-disc set. This sucks!

My plan is to buy the single disc with the bonus disc at BB using the 20% off coupon ($15.99 x 80% x tax ~ $13.50), keep the bonus disk and the slipcase, then sell the single-disc DVD to my local hastings store for $12. In the meantime, buy the 3-disc set at Amazon with STL. Generally, I think it is still a good deal.

Last edited by dvdphilic; 10-19-04 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Well to answer the question, the bonus disc has some features that aren't on the one disc but on the UE, however the UE still has more, although not enough to get me to buy it (I believe just some filmmakers journal featurettes and actor interviews plus the classic films). I was lucky to get the last of three WS copies with a bonus disc and luckily mine was the only one that the slip cover wasn't banged up. From what I have seen so far, the transfer looks great and the bonus disk has at least one good featurette, the masquerade ball thingy.
Old 10-19-04, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Willh51
Well to answer the question, the bonus disc has some features that aren't on the one disc but on the UE, however the UE still has more, although not enough to get me to buy it (I believe just some filmmakers journal featurettes and actor interviews plus the classic films). I was lucky to get the last of three WS copies with a bonus disc and luckily mine was the only one that the slip cover wasn't banged up. From what I have seen so far, the transfer looks great and the bonus disk has at least one good featurette, the masquerade ball thingy.
So the bonus disc is a dvd and not a cd-rom because in the add it says "bonus disc" and not bonus dvd? I think it sucks that I bought the one disc and it didn't have the bonus disc even though it says it was included. Anyway, I'm not returning it unless I get confirmation that it's a dvd and not some crap cd-rom. Thanks.
Old 10-20-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally posted by Willh51
Well to answer the question, the bonus disc has some features that aren't on the one disc but on the UE, however the UE still has more, although not enough to get me to buy it
So...you're saying the Best Buy Bonus Disc is nothing more than a "lighter" version of what's in the Ultimate Edition (meaning all the Bonus Disc stuff is on the Ultimate Edition version in a larger form)?

Andrew
Old 10-20-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah it's a dvd - My .02 on its contents:

Masquerade Ball B.T.S. - obviously the full feaurette as featured on the UE (17 mins)

Frankenstein Foyer 360 Tour- Full feature as on UE, you can take as long as you want I suppose exploring the place

Art of Van Helsing - This may not be the full feature as there are just some clips of art from the movie, no explaining so I'm not sure if this is on the UE or not. There are several sets (i.e. 'the brides') that range from 30 secs to 1.5 mins.

Last edited by Willh51; 10-20-04 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-20-04, 08:28 AM

Unfortunately, I bought this movie yesterday with the sticker that said "free bonus disk". When I got home, I noticed that I picked up fool screen. Ugh!

I have to return it today. Hopefully, they will still have some with the disks, but who knows.
Old 10-20-04, 09:23 AM

I noticed that most of the ones that had the sticker at my best buy were full screen. I did manage to find one widescreen with the sticker, but it didn't have the bonus disc. Is it worth it to return it just for that disc? I spent so long looking for a good slip cover. I'd hate to get a crappy one now.
Old 10-20-04, 11:05 AM

Novasonic, since the slip case slips off by itself, you'd think you'd be able to exchange the DVD package underneath for another while keeping the same slipcase -- especially if you mention it to customer service.

By the way, I opened mine which had the special sticker (there were 2 sets of stickers and only a few mentioned the bonus DVD) fully expecting the bonus DVD not to be inside, but fortunately it was. Normally I wait to open a movie until I'm ready to watch it, but I figured I'd better check now before they run out. The only reason I normally hold off opening things is in case they announce a better edition shortly after (which has happened many times), then at least I have a chance of trading it in around Christmas as an unwanted gift (though that gets harder each year) if it's unopened.

There was no insert inside mine. Is Van Helsing (single DVD edition) yet another DVD where they didn't make an insert to save a few pennies?
Old 10-20-04, 12:23 PM

Mine just has the advertisement thing and the free ringtone card.
Old 10-20-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could someone who bought the ULTIMATE edition list run-times on the special features on the bonus disc, and let me know if they are worth owning? For some reason this release really has me boggled and I can't decide which version to get. I already have the 3 classic horror movies, so it seems a big waste to buy the ultimate -- unless the rest of the special features are so special that they warrant a purchase. (what might sway me is if there is a 2 hour documentary on the design & special effects, lets say).
Old 10-20-04, 03:08 PM

It looked like there was some pretty nice stuff on disc 2, but I don't think it justifies spending $24 more. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-21-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The big difference is for people who never purchased the Legacy Monster pack (myself included ) with Drac, Wolfman and Frank because you get the movies in the UE. If you have the Legacy set just go for the standard edition with BB bonus disc.

Ultimate Edition (DeepDiscount $38.38):

Title: VAN HELSING ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S E
Runtime: 132M
Rating: PG-13
Language: English
Closed Captioned: N
UPC: 02519261392
Item Number: MCA026139D
Special Features
Region 1
3-Disc Set
Disc One:
Widescreen - 1.85
Audio:
Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Dolby Digital 2.0 - Spanish
Dolby Digital 2.0 - French
Additional Release Material:
Audio Commentaries - 1. Stephen Sommers - Director, Bob Duscay - Editor
2. Richard Roxburgh - Star, Shuler Hensley - Star, Will Kemp - Star
Theatrical Trailer
Featurette - 1. Van Helsing: The Story, The Life, The Legend
2. The Music Of Van Helsing
3. Darkness Falls: Dracula's Lair Is Transformed
4. Stephen Sommer's On Universal's Classic Monster: Dracula
5. The Road To Dracula
Outtakes
Interactive Features:
Tour Of Dracula's Castle
You Are In The Movie! The Legend Of Van Helsing
Tour Of Frankenstein's Lab
Track The Adventure: Van Helsing's Map
Text/Photo Galleries:
Poster Archives

Discs 2 and 3
Contains DRACULA (1931), FRANKENSTEIN (1931), THE WOLF MAN (1941)
Widescreen - 1.85
Audio Commentary - 1. David Skal - Film Historian
New Score By Philip Glass Performed By The Kronos Quartet
--------------------------------------------------
Standard Edition (BB bonus disc $15.99)
Title: VAN HELSING (WS)
Runtime: 132M
Rating: PG-13
Language: English
Closed Captioned: N
UPC: 02519232662
Item Number: MCA023266D
Special Features

DVD Features:
Region 1
Snap Case
Widescreen - 1.85
Audio:
Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Dolby Digital 2.0 - Spanish
Dolby Digital 2.0 - French
Audio Commentaries - 1. Stephen Sommers - Director, Bob Duscay - Editor
2. Richard Roxburgh - Star, Shuler Hensley - Star, Will Kemp - Star
Outtakes
Interactive Features:
Tour Of Dracula's Castle
You Are In The Movie! The Legend Of Van Helsing

Last edited by pagansoul; 10-21-04 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
My single disc copy didn't come with a second disc either,I didnt bother to check for a sticker saying if it did because i just assumed they all would have the extra disc inside.
Old 10-23-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone order this online at Best Buy? I got my copy today in the mail with no sticker. Should the online orders have the free bonus sticker on the outside? I don't really want to open this up if there is no bonus disc.
Old 10-23-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Had to shake a few cases to be sure there was a bonus disc inside. I found one which I was sure had one, but it had a beat-up slipcover so I switched it with another.