Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fox titles that have fs and ws

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox titles that have fs and ws

Hi, I noticed that on Just Married and Thirteen that I brought from Target only had the fullscreen, so i returned them and got new ones to try. I tried checking a couple other fox titles and noticed both sides are foolscreen even through one says side a widescreen and side b fullscreen. Has anyone else noticed this problem and is there a way to fix it since its too late to return most of these titles to the store.
Old 10-13-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, make sure your DVD player is set up correctly. If you go into the settings, there should be something like "TV Shape : Standard/Pan & Scan, Standard/Letterboxed, Widescreen."

If you have a Widescreen TV, you should see the WS version when you put that side in, unless the DVD player is set to Standard/Pan & Scan. The correct setting should be Widescreen.

If you have a Standard TV, the setting should be Standard/Letterboxed. If it is set to Widescreen, then anamorphic titles will still fill your screen, but they will be stretched vertically.

The Standard/Pan & Scan setting is for people who don't want black bars, even when watching a widescreen movie, and uses settings that are included on the disc to artificially pan/zoom the image. I don't know of many discs that actually use this setting, but there may be some, and it may be that Fox is one studio that includes that information on many of their titles.

Finally, did you look at the movies themselves, or just the menu screens? Some titles may have widescreen movies, but still have full screen menus (or, the menus may change depending on how your DVD player is set.

If all this fails, please list the titles, and others can check those specific titles to see if they do have WS versions, or if there were some goof-ups in manufacturing.