Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

time line ANH

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 02:47 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time line ANH

These DVDs represent a sort of homecoming to me, It's my first time seeing Star Wars ANH since about 1979 at that time I had seen it about 12 times at the theater.

I don't know that I never noticed this before but I was amazed how short a time period ANH takes place in, there is very little attention paid to the passage of time. As far as I can tell the whole movie spans one day, night and ends in the next day.

If only an hour or so passed between the droids separation and subsequent reuniting on the Jawa vehicle, the nightfall Luke waited out for fear of Sandpeople is the only actual night/sleep cycle expressed in the film.

From the Cantina to the celebration ceremony at the end, it looks like one afternoon by my internal movie chronometer. Of course the droids are looking much cleaned and the humans daper too by comparison, so it's likely a night had passed which would strech the movie accross a full 2 nights. I just thought it was interesting.
Old 10-12-04, 02:51 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, you can't really tell how much time takes place. For instance, the Falcon could have take a few days to get to the remains of alderaan. They could have been on Yavin for a few days before the Death Star approached.

You just rreally can't tell.
Old 10-12-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Gee.... it only felt like two hours to me
Old 10-12-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is what my guess is for time.

Droids land and capture by the Jawas: 8-12 hours. It is bright day when they land but almost dark when the shove R2 up the tube.

Next morning they arrive at Luke's house.
Same day, Luke looks at the suns and R2 runs away.

Next morning Luke goes out and gets his butt kicked by Tuskens. Rescued by Ben. Arrive at Ben's house mid morning.

Considering how Luke whines how far the city is from Ben's house, I'm guessing it would take hours to get there.
It does look late in the day when Luke gets home to some bar-b-q'd aunt/uncle so that day is almost over.
It looks around noon or early afternoon when they get to the city so I'm guessing they spent the night somewhere. They meet Han and jump to light speed.

Up to this point. I say the story has covered 4 days.

While the movie looks like the jump was only a few hours, it might have been days (as said above). Tatooine is said to be on the outer part of the galaxy when Alderaan is closer to the middle. (say 3 days)

The arrival at the Death Star and the escape was a several hours.

Another unkown trip in hyperspace. (another 3 days?) I'm guessing the Yavin moon is out near the edge of the galaxy since the Rebels wan't the fewest possible people passing by.

Here is where it get's questionable. The rebels had to study the plans and figure out the weak spot, Luke needed some pilot training & the Empire had to trace the tracking signal. All of this takes time. (Say 2 weeks mimimal)

So up to now, we are at 24 days, almost a month.

The space battle was a couple of hours and then a few days before the celebration.

So just watching the movie, I would guess the movie takes place in around 26 days.
Old 10-12-04, 04:06 PM
Cool New Member

wow, 26 days eh?

There is very little evidence of time passing, no visible cues intended to establish that a certain amount of time has passed. I guess that's just because it's a quickly paced film. I found it a surprize after having not seen it in so long.
Old 10-12-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=387713
Old 10-13-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally posted by resinrats

Droids land and capture by the Jawas: 8-12 hours. It is bright day when they land but almost dark when the shove R2 up the tube.

Next morning Luke goes out and gets his butt kicked by Tuskens. Rescued by Ben. Arrive at Ben's house mid morning.

Considering how Luke whines how far the city is from Ben's house, I'm guessing it would take hours to get there.
It does look late in the day when Luke gets home to some bar-b-q'd aunt/uncle so that day is almost over.
It looks around noon or early afternoon when they get to the city so I'm guessing they spent the night somewhere. They meet Han and jump to light speed.

While the movie looks like the jump was only a few hours, it might have been days (as said above). Tatooine is said to be on the outer part of the galaxy when Alderaan is closer to the middle. (say 3 days)

Another unkown trip in hyperspace. (another 3 days?) I'm guessing the Yavin moon is out near the edge of the galaxy since the Rebels wan't the fewest possible people passing by.

Here is where it get's questionable. The rebels had to study the plans and figure out the weak spot, Luke needed some pilot training & the Empire had to trace the tracking signal. All of this takes time. (Say 2 weeks mimimal)

I think you lose me here. I know it kinda gets into EU, but one of the reasons I've always heard for Luke learning the x-wing so fast is that it's made by the same company that makes his Skyhopper that he flies on Tatooine. Therefore the acclimation shouldn't be that hard. I don't think I'd give that sequence more than another day or two.

The space battle was a couple of hours and then a few days before the celebration.

So just watching the movie, I would guess the movie takes place in around 26 days.
Old 10-14-04, 03:51 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well the characters didn't age or gain/lose weight, so I'd say it was under a month.
Old 11-06-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
while it makes sense to take a few days in hyperspace, we must remember that imperial officer in ESB saying the falcon could be half way across the galaxy by now when it had been mere minutes

Originally posted by resinrats