DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Adversarial commentaries

Old 10-07-04, 10:18 PM

Adversarial commentaries

I just started [finally after a number of years of owning it] listening to the commentary on the Criterion version of Charade. It has the director and the screen writer and while I think most of it is in jest they are snipping and bickering at each other over the movie and each others comments Quite amusing so far. I was just curious if there were other commentaries people have come across that are like this.
Old 10-07-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I remember, Jeremy Piven had one hell of an axe to grind against someone (a company?!?) in his solo commentary in PCU...something about not enough time, or perhaps not enough improv allowed....I can't remember exactly what it was about. In general, he was not pleased about something though.

I can't remember which one it is, since they've done a few commentaries together, but usually when it involves Kevin Smith (and posse) and Ben Affleck, it ends up being a gang up on Affleck...was it Mallrats where they kept referring to him as "Phantom's Ben Affleck"? Those are always amusing anyway.

Not sure either of those is quite what you're looking for though...
Old 10-07-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Charade has one of the best commentaries I've ever listened to. While it is good natured the back and forth between them is hilarious.

I can't think of any others quite like that one.
Old 10-07-04, 11:08 PM

Steven Soderbergh and Lem Dobbs on The Limey. That Dobbs fellow is one bitter scribe. He vents on a mostly diplomatic Soderbergh throughout.
Old 10-07-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't Singer and McQuarrie bicker over the overall theme of "The Usual Suspects" during the end credits?