Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pirates of the Wallet: The Curse of the Double Dip

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrrrrr.

Pirate Res says the current version is good enough for him.

Arrrrrr.
Old 10-08-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The prospect of some sort of offer is slim to none. It sounds like you're going to be unhappy no matter what you do. You want the 'best' version of a movie but complain about spending 5 more bucks for it, which is pretty silly.
Old 10-08-04, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by JJE-187
I have a solution to this whole problem. Trade your current 2-Disc POTC DVD for another DVD you want.
Old 10-08-04, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe the third disc will be as lame as the Spidey Deluxe was, in which case even a completist (such as myself) could probably resist. I would wait for the reviews.
Old 10-08-04, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If a release already has plenty of bonus features, just adding more bonus features isn't enough to constitute a double-dip.

Not unless a new feature had Kiera Knightly naked or something.
Old 10-08-04, 07:03 AM

If you sell the 2 disc set now then wait a couple of months AFTER the 3 disc set is out - your bound to find it $5 off somewhere.

Problem solved.
Old 10-08-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by reservoirdog
Arrrrrr.

Pirate Res says the current version is good enough for him.

Arrrrrr.
YEAH!... What he said.
Old 10-08-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Filmmaker

Then I tried it this way:

Original disc costs me $15, 3-disc version costs me $15 (actually $23, yes, but to keep the figures simple) for a total of $30; I get $10 for selling the first DVD, for a net cost of $20 (vs. the original $15 I paid).

Any sarcasm directed my way at this point is well earned...

So, your problem is that you originally paid $15 for a 2-disc set, and now you'll be paying $20 net for a 3-disc set. Your original purchase averaged $7.50 per disc, and you'll end up with a 3-disc set averaging $6.67 per disc.

You should send them a thank-you note for helping to reduce the average cost per disc in your collection.
Old 10-08-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whereas this POTC bonus disc will represent the DVD equivalent of the Dead Sea Scrolls, I gather...?
What? You're not making sesne. Is it that YOU see this new disc as the Dead Sea Scrolls, or something? I don't get it.

Just trade the present DVD you have. Buy the 3-disc set. That simple.
Old 10-08-04, 09:45 AM

A fair counter argument, but the point stands that there is a precedent.

Oh, and on the math thing, I'm an idiot, but I got it on the way home from work--still, a $5 loss is about $5.01 too much, ya know?

Seems like you aren't familiar with the concept of depreciation. If you paid $30,000 for a new car and then decided to sell it a year later, would you seriously expect to receive $30,000 for it? Unless you have never opened & viewed your POTC dvd, then it is completely unrealistic to expect someone to offer you the $15 original price for a previously viewed dvd. Another way to look at it: if you've watched your POTC dvd twice since owning it, then the $5 "loss" equates to paying $2.50 each time to view it. Much cheaper than renting it from BBV or paying to see it at the movie theater.
Old 10-08-04, 09:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think Buena Vista is forcing anybody to buy the new edition.
Old 10-08-04, 09:57 AM

I hate math. I tried refiguring and came out with this scenario:

Get the POTC 2-disc set for $15, sell it for $10 (loss of $5), purchase the same 2-disc set again for $15, using the $10 I got from selling the original (another $5 loss, and really probably more, because bestbuy.com has the title for $23), for a net loss of $10.

Then I tried it this way:

Original disc costs me $15, 3-disc version costs me $15 (actually $23, yes, but to keep the figures simple) for a total of $30; I get $10 for selling the first DVD, for a net cost of $20 (vs. the original $15 I paid).

First example, I end up $10 in the hole, second example, I end up $5 in the hole. This is why I had to cheat to pass College Algebra (on my third attempt at the course, no less)...

Any sarcasm directed my way at this point is well earned...
....just to make this as clear as mud:
It's going to cost you $20 either way.

Look at it this way: start with $30 in your pocket, all transactions will be in cash.

First example, you buy POTC-2disc for $15. You now have $15 in your pocket. You turn around and sell it later for $10, now giving you $25 in your pocket. You buy POTC-3disc for $15. You have $10 left in your pocket, and your "net loss" is $20.

Second example, you buy POTC-2disc for $15, leaving $15 in your pocket. You buy POTC-3disc for $15, leaving you with no cash. You sell POTC-2disc for $10, which is what you end up with in your pocket, the same as the first example, and your "net loss" is $20.

You freely mix and match the terms "net cost", "net loss" and "in the hole" in your examples, leading to numerous errors and inconsistencies.

Yeah, I passed algebra, and calculus IV.

Last edited by abbatazappa; 10-08-04 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Good lord, just buy the damn 3-disc set when it comes out and be happy already.

Consider the $15 you shelled out for the original disc a yearlong rental for $1.25/month, and at the end of the lease period they let you keep the movie.
Old 10-08-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
This is a clear-cut case of censorship at its worst.
Old 10-08-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Agreed. This is Disney homophobia at its most insidious.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 10-08-04 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
I could be wrong, but I don't think Buena Vista is forcing anybody to buy the new edition.
I actually watched a new Buena Vista Dvd and at the end a Ring appeared on the screen with a voiceover telling me I had to buy the new 3 disc POTC or i would die in 70 years

I think trading the 2 disc for another title would be the best solution.
Old 10-08-04, 02:10 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by D-Ball:
I'm sure that it wasn't sitting on shelf unwatched the whole time.

He he, well actually it was...let's just say it's been a busy year. Hell, I haven't even had time to watch my STAR WARS Trilogy...

Those Best Buy bonus discs must really drive you nuts.

Actually, I love them (when I'm not financially hampered) because they're available right at the outset, not a year after I bought the feature DVD.

Originally posted by fumenstan:
You want the 'best' version of a movie but complain about spending 5 more bucks for it, which is pretty silly.

Yeah, complaining about studios double-dipping titles before the first release is even a year old--that's pretty unprecedented. Where do I get off?

Originally posted by DonnachaOne:
What? You're not making sense. Is it that YOU see this new disc as the Dead Sea Scrolls, or something? I don't get it.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping my attempts at performing simple math not look like the most intellectually challenged moment of this thread.

Originally posted by palooka:
then wait a couple of months AFTER the 3 disc set is out

A smart idea but...
<----doesn't wait (if he can afford it)

Originally posted by Snowmaker:
If a release already has plenty of bonus features, just adding more bonus features isn't enough to constitute a double-dip.

I respectfully disagree.

Originaly posted by marty888:
So, your problem is that you originally paid $15 for a 2-disc set, and now you'll be paying $20 net for a 3-disc set. Your original purchase averaged $7.50 per disc, and you'll end up with a 3-disc set averaging $6.67 per disc.

You should send them a thank-you note for helping to reduce the average cost per disc in your collection.

There's the one, single post to make me feel better about the whole deal. I take back all the mean things I've said before about you math people!

Originally posted by Moonraker:
if you've watched your POTC dvd twice since owning it

As mentioned above, I haven't (though I did take it out of it's plastic to make sure the discs were undamaged).

Originally posted by JJE-187:
I have a solution to this whole problem. Trade your current 2-Disc POTC DVD for another DVD you want.

Yep, that's exactly what I think I'm going to have to do to minimize my perception of loss.

originally posted by abbatazapa:
....just to make this as clear as mud:
It's going to cost you $20 either way.

Look at it this way: start with $30 in your pocket, all transactions will be in cash.

First example, you buy POTC-2disc for $15. You now have $15 in your pocket. You turn around and sell it later for $10, now giving you $25 in your pocket. You buy POTC-3disc for $15. You have $10 left in your pocket, and your "net loss" is $20.

Second example, you buy POTC-2disc for $15, leaving $15 in your pocket. You buy POTC-3disc for $15, leaving you with no cash. You sell POTC-2disc for $10, which is what you end up with in your pocket, the same as the first example, and your "net loss" is $20.

You freely mix and match the terms "net cost", "net loss" and "in the hole" in your examples, leading to numerous errors and inconsistencies.

Yeah, I passed algebra, and calculus IV.

I'm bored...can I go out and play now?
Old 10-08-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by D-Ball:
I'm sure that it wasn't sitting on shelf unwatched the whole time.

He he, well actually it was...let's just say it's been a busy year. Hell, I haven't even had time to watch my STAR WARS Trilogy.
If you don't have time to watch it the first time, then what makes you think that you have time to watch the third disc?
Old 10-08-04, 02:36 PM

re: "I'm bored...can I go out and play now?"

Only if you write "I will not get duped into double dipping for a whole bunch of junk I will probably watch only once anyway." 100 times on the board.
Old 10-08-04, 02:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Stupid Luca$!
Old 10-08-04, 03:26 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally posted by Dabaomb:
If you don't have time to watch it the first time, then what makes you think that you have time to watch the third disc?

Since I'm not a religious man, this is where I place my hope and faith...
Old 10-08-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
[B]

Originally posted by fumenstan:
You want the 'best' version of a movie but complain about spending 5 more bucks for it, which is pretty silly.

Yeah, complaining about studios double-dipping titles before the first release is even a year old--that's pretty unprecedented. Where do I get off?
Give me a break, you already said yourself you're going to be unhappy unless you somehow get this disc for free. I'm not sure what else you're looking for here, but its pretty clear no matter what anyone says you're not going to be able to convince yourself that you can get a good deal out of this.

I respectfully conclude that THIS THREAD SUCKS.

P.S. Please don't "get off" wherever you decide to "go out and play"
Old 10-08-04, 03:45 PM
Cool New Member

If I could do the latter in such a way that would completely alleviate the damage caused by the former, then I'm game, but you have yet to offer a compelling example (offering $10 for a disc I paid $15 for and, at minimum, will have to pay $15 for again to get the 3-disc version puts me at a $20 loss so, you see, the consumer raping continues unabated).
actually you are incorrect. all it really means is that in the end you pay $20 for that new version instead of $15.

not such a bad thing, as you basically rented the disc for $5 this whole time

[/thread]

Last edited by oneness; 10-08-04 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 04:46 PM
Banned

Origianlly posted by fumenstan:
Give me a break, you already said yourself you're going to be unhappy unless you somehow get this disc for free.

And this reply follows naturally from my statement regarding the inherent frustration of studios double dipping in less than a year how?
Old 10-08-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Snowmaker:

I respectfully disagree.
I meant for myself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.