DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Episodes 1 and 2 in moratorium??

Old 10-03-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Episodes 1 and 2 in moratorium??

I stopped by Coconuts today and the manager there told me that Eps. 1 and 2 on DVD were both in "moratorium". Meaning he can't order any more.

This leads me to believe that there could be either

a). an Eps. 1-3 boxed set coming around Christmas 2005

or

b). an ultra mega boxed set with Eps. 1-6.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 10-03-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=386989

They've been OOP for a bit of time now. Nothing new really. Eveyrhing eventually stops getting produced when the market is flooded with them. I'm sure there is plenty of retail stores that still have copies floating around. I know the studio store has plenty copies of it sitting there.

But yes, it is very easy to assume that there will be both a 1-3 box set and a 1-6 box set with the 4-6 of that being different in some way or having different extras.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-03-04 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-03-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2007 is the 30th anniversary of Star Wars.

So yea, we'll see a big ass mega box set (which will include a Super Duper SE for all 6 movies).
Old 10-03-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Class316
2007 is the 30th anniversary of Star Wars.

So yea, we'll see a big ass mega box set (which will include a Super Duper SE for all 6 movies).

If there is indeed a super duper ultra mega boxed set in 2007 in the works, then I can see that this would be the only way that the original cuts of the film, if they're ever to be, are released on DVD.

Let me remind you that this is only me speculating, but I can see something like a 9 or 10 disc set with the Eps. 1-6 and the original cuts of the film. That's of course if Lucas ever changes his mind.
Old 10-03-04, 10:22 PM

Ep I is getting a re-release anyway since the non-digital shots in TPM are fairly bad by todays high standards. Plus they're going to go back and put in a CGI Yoda . The reason for doing this is that by the time AOTC came around, digital characters were becoming the normal thing to do (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter etc.) so they went with a CGI Yoda. In TPM they were still experimenting with digital actors and went with a Yoda puppet whilst experimenting with Jar Jar as the prototype for future digital characters. This is one change I would agree with since the TPM Yoda looks nothing like the Yoda from ESB, ROTJ or even AOTC.

I dunno if AOTC will get a re-release but there is the infamous missing two minutes from the Tusken raider slaughter scene which was deleted to avoid a PG-13 rating.
Old 10-03-04, 10:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
If there is indeed a super duper ultra mega boxed set in 2007 in the works, then I can see that this would be the only way that the original cuts of the film, if they're ever to be, are released on DVD.

Let me remind you that this is only me speculating, but I can see something like a 9 or 10 disc set with the Eps. 1-6 and the original cuts of the film. That's of course if Lucas ever changes his mind.
that's right...cling to a prayer!
Old 10-03-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by scott1598
that's right...cling to a prayer!
Like I said, just speculating.
Old 10-03-04, 10:50 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Already have the Ep1-2 and Trilogy. I don't think I'll double dip until they are in HD-DVD or Blue-Ray.
Old 10-03-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I doubt you will ever see the Original, unaltered versions on dvd.
Old 10-03-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see used copies of 1 and 2 all the time. Check places like EB Games and Gamestop that sell used DVDs.
Old 10-04-04, 03:43 PM

Best Buy was selling both episodes I and II the week that the Trilogy was released. I picked them both up, using the 20% off coupon in the Madden book. My Best Buy had a ton of these dvds, so if you're still looking for them I would suggest going there.

Mike
Old 10-06-04, 03:54 AM
Cool New Member

So, did Best Buy buy out LFL's remaining stock of these movies?

I ask because in their September 19th ad, it stated something along the lines of "40-42 copies per store, no rainchecks." They usually include that line when it comes to promotional/limited edition material. That, and no other stores I buy DVDs at have either title.

Well, I've seen both at Borders but their having out of print titles on the shelves is nothing unusual.

I don't like the prequels, but I was simply curious as to if Best Buy did strike a deal with LFL.
Old 10-07-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw the prequel 2 pack at Best Buy in Saugus, Ma. earlier this week. Not sure of the price, but there were quite a few of them.