Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

So, how many changed their mind?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Did you change your mind about buying the Star Wars trilogy?
Said I'd never buy the set, haven't, and never will.
20.36%
Said I'd never buy the set, but caved like a spineless jelly fish
4.19%
Said I'd buy the set, but won't because of the problems.
1.80%
Said I'd buy the set, did, and I'm loving it.
73.65%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

So, how many changed their mind?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm thrilled with the current set and would be thrilled with an original trilogy one as well if he ever felt like releasing it which is doubtful. Still the current release was everything promised and an improvement over the 97 versions. The audio errors in ANH or unfortunate and will probably remain unchanged, but overall its a great set. The audio errors in ANH or distracting at times, but did not ruin the film for me.

Really it was pretty much what was promised with an even better documentary than I could have asked for.
Old 10-06-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Neil S. Bulk
Because it's there.

And because I have been writing extensively about the audio errors made throughout the film formerly known as Star Wars.

Neil
So.... You have been LISTENING to the films but not watching. Gotcha.

How have you been "writing extensively" about the "audio errors" if "It's not a movie that I would watch"?
Old 10-06-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: So, how many changed their mind?

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw
I must admit that I'm smiling away here, as someone who vowed not to buy this set, it brings a sweet sense of smugness to see so many disappointed with the release. Hey, a few of us tried to tell ya...
How sad.
Old 10-06-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was going to buy it but then decided not to due to the problems. I may rent it at some point though
Old 10-06-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: So, how many changed their mind?

Originally posted by PixyJunket
How VERY sad.
Fixed.

Seriously, looking for some kind of validation from the internet on a personal non-purchase?
Old 10-06-04, 11:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
So.... You have been LISTENING to the films but not watching. Gotcha.

How have you been "writing extensively" about the "audio errors" if "It's not a movie that I would watch"?
This thread is asking about who bought the set. I did not buy it. I was able to view an advance copy and was able to make several observations about it. You can read all about it here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here. Note that the first seven were done before the release date.

Neil
Old 10-07-04, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

Received 697 Likes on 466 Posts
This thread is asking about who bought the set. I did not buy it. I was able to view an advance copy and was able to make several observations about it. You can read all about it here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here. Note that the first seven were done before the release date.

Neil
His point, I think, is that you said "it is not a movie that I would watch", but you obviously have several times for some odd reason (seems like to the point of obsession)...

Also, this thread is about the whole set, not just "it".

I can see where you may have seen them so many times, that "they" are not movies you would watch, but I'm not sure that's your reason.
Old 10-07-04, 09:36 AM
Cool New Member

I watched it from start to finish just once. I've done some sopt checks here and there, but the majority of my observations were made from that one viewing. It was enough.

I have even less interest in the sequels.

Neil
Old 10-07-04, 11:33 AM

Thanks, Cow. That was the exact point I was making. I also don't believe that you haven't watched "it" more than once with that extensive (obsessive) list of alterations to the sound mix.

CLEARLY someone that can tell, with one viewing, that the sound was altered must have SOME intrest in Star Wars, taking it out of the category of "it is not a movie that I would watch."

I thought you were BETTER than the mindless trolls that pass through. You presented an extensive list of facts and then stated your opinion.

Your comments are losing credibility with nonsense (bordering on trolling) comments like the originally referenced passage in this thread.
Old 10-07-04, 11:48 AM
Cool New Member

You can believe what you like. That list of all the alterations was made with one viewing. I went back and did some spot checks on things to make sure it was accurate, but I've never actually sat down and watched it start to finish more than once.

When I found the rear channel flaw, I was watching the escape from the Death Star and the TIE fighter attack to make sure the music wasn't reverbed, the way it was on all previous mixes.

Neil
Old 10-07-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I said I wouldn't buy it and I haven't. It's not a movie that I would watch.

Neil
I regret to inform you that by not wanting to watch this movie and/or not liking this movie you officially cannot be a movie lover.

I THINK I remember reading in another thread that anyone who does not like or has not seen (and has no desire to) any of the original trilogy (special edition or not) can therefore not be a lover of films. The best you can qualify for is REALLY REALLY REALLY like movies.

My condolences.
Old 10-08-04, 12:57 AM
Cool New Member

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars. What's represented on that DVD is not Star Wars, but rather another film called "A New Hope".

I watch Star Wars all the time. I'll never watch this new DVD version again.

Neil
Old 10-08-04, 08:42 AM

Cue the violins...
Old 10-09-04, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

Received 697 Likes on 466 Posts
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars. What's represented on that DVD is not Star Wars, but rather another film called "A New Hope".

I watch Star Wars all the time. I'll never watch this new DVD version again.

Neil
Or tread into a thread about the DVDs again? (don't think so on both accounts)

Psst; this thread is about the whole set, not just EP IV, a part of the Star Wars saga.

Cue the violins...
exactly.
Old 10-09-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What's represented on that DVD is not Star Wars, but rather another film called "A New Hope".

Good god almighty man, the changes bother you that much?!

Old 10-09-04, 03:53 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Mountain Biker
Good god almighty man, the changes bother you that much?!

Yep!

Visually, it no longer looks like Star Wars. Sonically, it no longer sounds like Star Wars. It is no longer paced like Star Wars either. In short, it ain't Star Wars.

In fact, this version (actually starting in 1997) does its best to even get the words "Star Wars" off the screen faster than before so that people know it's "A New Hope". Watch the opening crawl and see how fast that card moves compared to the foreign language crawls, which get the speed right. In fact, here is a comparison someone made.

Also, be sure to check out that site (starwarslegacy.com) to see a multitude of changes done in just the first few minutes of the movie. You might be surprised.

Neil

Last edited by Neil S. Bulk; 10-09-04 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-09-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
I haven't bought the Holy Trilogy yet....and I probably never will.

I may wait for the 2007 release.
Old 10-11-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 655 Posts
Well, I watched my boot of the original Star Wars and then watched my netflix of the new Star Wars a few days later.

I must admit that the picture quality is outstanding. I had no problems with the disc on my dvd player such as layer changes, etc. The dialogue did seem muffled in a few places but did not really distract me much. The sound was good but not outstanding like the picture quality.

As far as the changes go...I am glad they fixed a few things from the special edition changes. Jabba looks a lot better in the added scene and does not react as much to Han stepping on the tail. I still think this scene is repetitive and should still be excised.

They changed Ben's scream that scares the Sand people away. That was a surprise and seemed unnecessary. Some of the creature changes in the cantina scene aren't necessary but did not distract me.

The Han & Greedo scene is better than the SE version but still not as good as the original.

The explosions are better. I always liked the addtion of the Biggs scene so that didn't bother me. I always hated the goofy falling Jawa in the beginning of the Mos Eisley scene.

I guess I changed my mind a little. I might allow it in my collection. I won't pay for it but if I get it in a trade...oh well. I still think the originals should be released.

I look forward to watching the original Empire & the revised version when I get it in from Netflix.
Old 10-11-04, 07:34 PM

Yep!

Visually, it no longer looks like Star Wars. Sonically, it no longer sounds like Star Wars. It is no longer paced like Star Wars either. In short, it ain't Star Wars.
The pacing has not been altered and neither has the plot.

It is Star Wars, says so right on the wrapper.
Old 10-11-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The pacing has not been altered
Like the changes, hate them, or be ambivalent... but I think you'd have a hard time convincing most people that the changes do not alter the pacing.

Especially in the first film, the entire Mos Eisley sequence is definitely paced differently. The new entry with Rontos and comedic droids, the re-edited Greedo scene, the redundant Jabba scene. That all changes the pacing and flow of the sequence.

If we move to ESB, I would submit that the removal of Vader's "bring me my shuttle" line and then the interruptions of the Falcon/Tie chase to show Vader's cruise/landing are MAJOR changes of pace.
Old 10-11-04, 11:35 PM
Cool New Member

The pacing has not been altered and neither has the plot.
It runs several minutes longer than the original cut. Of course the pacing is off. The original version won an Oscar for editing. It cut to the chase. This version stutters at times, where before it was a tight film.

Originally posted by bboisvert
Like the changes, hate them, or be ambivalent... but I think you'd have a hard time convincing most people that the changes do not alter the pacing.

Especially in the first film, the entire Mos Eisley sequence is definitely paced differently. The new entry with Rontos and comedic droids, the re-edited Greedo scene, the redundant Jabba scene. That all changes the pacing and flow of the sequence.
Yep! Exactly.

It is Star Wars, says so right on the wrapper.
If only it was that simple. Let's see whats missing from this new disc. Oscar winning effects? Yep. Oscar winning sound? Yep! I already mentioned the Oscar winning editing being changed. And the Oscar winning score has also been altered.

Neil

Last edited by Neil S. Bulk; 10-11-04 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-12-04, 10:43 AM
Retired

If only it was that simple. Let's see whats missing from this new disc. Oscar winning effects? Yep. Oscar winning sound? Yep! I already mentioned the Oscar winning editing being changed. And the Oscar winning score has also been altered.
But none of this should matter to you since it's "not a move you'd watch."
Old 10-12-04, 11:50 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
But none of this should matter to you since it's "not a move you'd watch."
I'll gladly watch the original. I love that version. I'm not watching this new edition anymore and I've spelled out my reasons why. Some people have difficulty grasping this.

Neil
Old 10-13-04, 09:37 PM

I see Mr Bulk has found exile in DVDTalk after being banned from the HTF...
Old 10-14-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My choice isn't on there. I said I'd buy the set, but it wasn't a priority and I was going to wait. Then I caved like the jellyfish I am and bought it the first day.

I'm such a loser....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.