Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Like watching it for the the first time...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-29-04, 09:25 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, there sure is alot of bitching about this release. I thought I'd temper some of that with some of my (overwhelmingly positive) thoughts.

Like some others, I've been waiting for a proper DVD release of these movies ever since I started pining for a widescreen HDTV. Sure, Episode I and II were cool, but for me, these three movies were the Holy Grail.

I've had my HDTV for about a year and a half, and I've been meaning to tweak the picture to get all I can out of it, but I just never got around to it. I decided that before I watched these movies again, I was going to perform the tweaks. I have a Sony 57WS500, and there is a tweak document out there which details getting into the service menu, opening the set, tweaking the focus pots, and focusing the CRTs. Not for the timid. I spent 3 hours Sunday night doing this work.

Last night I popped in Episode IV after tweaking my convergence. Good lord. As soon as the opening crawl fades into the initial chase sequence, I was BLOWN AWAY by the picture detail. I've never seen ANY movie look this good. Now granted, this was the first movie I watched on my tweaked set. But this is the best this movie has ever looked. The colors are so vibrant...and the detail! I noticed things I never noticed before. And I did see the Special Editions in theaters. It was as if a haze was lifted off of the picture.

You can complain about audio glitches, plot holes, etc. But last night, for two hours, I remembered what it felt like to watch these movies as a young boy. To me, this DVD set is worth 10X what I paid for it. Bravo, Lucasfilm. Bravo.
Old 09-29-04, 03:57 PM

bloody oath, well said.
Old 09-29-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I was still pretty exicted about watching each movie, even though I knew of the changes (many of which I don't like) and whatnot. I hadn't seen any of them since the SE's came out in 1997.

The picture does indeed look amazing!
Old 09-29-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That disc 4 documentary alone is worth picking up the set. After watching that I thought 'hey, Lucas can change whatever he wants. it is HIS baby.' Last time I saw these movies was in '97 theatrical release as well, and I'm thinking this set looks even better!
Old 09-30-04, 05:08 AM
Suspended

Like watching it for the first time? Close, but not really. Nothing beats being 3 years old and seeing Darth Vader on a 50 foot high screen, in a 70mm projection, in Dolby Stereo. Ah, the memories of the glorious Cinedome:

I saw "Star Wars", "Empire Strikes Back", and "Return of the Jedi" for the first time in this theater. It was a kick ass place. Too bad it's closed.

Last edited by Forum Troll; 09-30-04 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-05-04, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Forum Troll
Like watching it for the first time? Close, but not really. Nothing beats being 3 years old and seeing Darth Vader on a 50 foot high screen, in a 70mm projection, in Dolby Stereo. Ah, the memories of the glorious Cinedome:

I saw "Star Wars", "Empire Strikes Back", and "Return of the Jedi" for the first time in this theater. It was a kick ass place. Too bad it's closed.
The theater I first saw ANH in was a parking lot, and now a Family Video rental store. (The theater was torn down in 1978 I believe.)
Old 10-05-04, 11:07 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its a good release, but I'm looking forward to any future releases as well.