Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by BrentLumkin
What is the absolute cheapest price that I could find a Toshiba SD4900 (new or used, I don't care)?

I have a "region free" player, a Cyberhome player that has the remote hack, but all of my PAL/anamorphic discs are stretched to fill the screen.
I have a CyberHome model and there is no stretching. Maybe you have it set up wrong?
Old 09-30-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ytrez
I have a CyberHome model and there is no stretching. Maybe you have it set up wrong?
IIRC the 300 model doesn't do proper PAL conversion for anamorphic widescreen releases. It is possible he has a 300 and you have a 500.
Old 09-30-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by fnordboy
IIRC the 300 model doesn't do proper PAL conversion for anamorphic widescreen releases. It is possible he has a 300 and you have a 500.
Ah, that's a shame. Now that you say it, I do believe mine is a 500.
Old 09-30-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i also recommend the phillips dvp642 (67 bucks at wally world).

kms
Old 09-30-04, 04:44 PM

Black Books

Originally posted by darthlurker
I see Amazon UK is suggesting Shaun of the Dead (a given) and a series called Black Books. Never heard of that one. Any ideas on it, anyone?
Black Books is superb stuff, a comedy co-written by and staring Dylan Moran, the Irish guy in Shaun. In it he is Bernard Black and he owns a bookshop. Bill Bailey, a nutty standup comic (plus he's in Spaced as Bilbo, Simon Pegg's boss at the comic shop he works at) and Tamsin Greig also star. Series one and two are out now and series three is released next week I think. If you like Shaun and Spaced you'll *love* Black Books, honestly! Plus the DVDs are equally loaded with features inc. cast commentaries which are almost as funny as the shows are - not surprising really since 2 of the 3 participants are standup comics. That reminds me, I'm going to see both Dylan and Bill next month!

Dan.
Old 09-30-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ytrez
Ah, that's a shame. Now that you say it, I do believe mine is a 500.
Yes, I do have a 300.

How much does a 500 go for? Does it play all DVDs from every region?
Old 03-13-05, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by fnordboy
Man, not to go off topic too much, but that Saikano set is beautiful. One of the few anime sets I have bought fully in R2. And such a great series.

The R2 UK release of Pandora's Box is what made me go region free. I am a Louise Brooks whore.
if you are talking about hentai then whoa could anyone possibly post the link to site where i could order uk release of Pandora's Box?

if its illegal to post that link then send me the email at [email protected]

thanks!

and sorry for off topic posting!
Old 03-13-05, 11:37 PM

Just as a nice little aside, this past Christmas I finally made the choice for my friends. I bought each of them (there were 5 of them) one of those Cyberhome players Wal-Mart and Best Buy had on sale for like $35. The day after Christmas there were 5 orders in for Spaced: The Definitive Collection over at amazon.uk, which made me extremely happy. So far I've shared this little series with over 15 people and have yet to find one who hasn't loved every minute of it.
Old 03-14-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bossyman15
if you are talking about hentai then whoa could anyone possibly post the link to site where i could order uk release of Pandora's Box?

if its illegal to post that link then send me the email at [email protected]

thanks!

and sorry for off topic posting!
Saikano is not hentai, and it is released here in the US now.

I only brought up Pandora's Box to say that is the film that got me to go region free since it was (and I think still is) only available outside the US on DVD. It is the silent live action film, you can get it anywhere that sells UK DVDs like amazon.co.uk or sendit.co.uk.
Old 03-14-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dan Smiffy
Black Books is superb stuff, a comedy co-written by and staring Dylan Moran, the Irish guy in Shaun. In it he is Bernard Black and he owns a bookshop. Bill Bailey, a nutty standup comic (plus he's in Spaced as Bilbo, Simon Pegg's boss at the comic shop he works at) and Tamsin Greig also star. Series one and two are out now and series three is released next week I think. If you like Shaun and Spaced you'll *love* Black Books, honestly! Plus the DVDs are equally loaded with features inc. cast commentaries which are almost as funny as the shows are - not surprising really since 2 of the 3 participants are standup comics. That reminds me, I'm going to see both Dylan and Bill next month!

Dan.
thanks for the black books suggestion. i may have to give this a blind buy (cd-wow has the three seasons for ~$41).