Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What did you learn about Making of SW after listening to Commentaries & "Bonus DVD"?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What did you learn about Making of SW after listening to Commentaries & "Bonus DVD"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After listening to the Commentaries and "Bonus DVD", I realized how much sacrifice GL had to go through to make not only the 1st movie, but also the 2nd and 3rd of Star Wars.

The reason SW is as great as it is, is because GL wanted every detail to be perfect.

1. Put up his own money to make "Empire" and the bank wanted payment. Which almost caused GL to give up his rights to SW.

2. Ewok's language based on a real/rare language (Chinese).
-Background song in Ewok village was some kind of Chinese folk song.

3. How all the different sounds were created.
-It was amazing to hear the great length that the sound dept would go to get the fantasic sound effects throughout the movie.

4. All the different changes that SW went through from the beginning to the end.
-The end movies are almost completely different than the GL's 1st draft.

5. Only 15% of the "Filmed" dialog made it into the movie.
-85% Post production dialog.

I am not trying to start a flaming of GL, I just want to say GL has the right to change anything he wants in his films (some I like, some I do not). He put in 100% of everything he had to make these movies, he took chances that I would not be willing to do. He gave his time, money, engery, emotions, relationships, reputation...all I can say is wow!
Old 09-25-04, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ewok ain't no Chinese I ever heard anyone speak. Do they speak Ewok in Beijing?
Old 09-25-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Cornell
Listen to the Sound Guy commentary during sceen when we 1st see the Ewok village. He talks about how they came up with the Ewok dialog.
Old 09-25-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Cornell
EWOK MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT?!

I believe Ewok language is Tagalog
Old 09-25-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Actually, I would say a good 90 to 95% of the info I was already aware of - although some of it I had forgotten over the years and the documentary and bonus material reminded me about it. Nice to have it all catalogued in one place though.
Old 09-26-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I learned that Irwin Kershner whould never do another audio commentary. "Here we have Chewbaca putting C-3PO's head on backwards..." Thanks, Kersh, I never would have noticed that.

Couldn't they have edited out the parts of the commentary where he is just narrarating the film?
Old 09-26-04, 12:17 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes despite all the Lucas flamming, he did invent Star Wars and did a good job at it....hats off to the guy for once
Old 09-26-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One the Empire of Dreams documentary, I was unaware that ILM created the Pixar technology which was later sold off to become Pixar.
Old 09-26-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Admittedly, I didn't learn too many new things. Most of the information I knew from the "Skywalking" bio, while others came from printed sources at the time the movies were released. Most of Kershner's commentary were a bit verbatim from what he said in "The Annotated Screenplays" book.

Hearing Lucas's commentary on the three films makes me where this Lucas went for the prequels. He was more insightful about the characters, the story, and the tie-ins to classic mythology. I think why Episodes IV & V (and to an extent VI) succeeded so well was that Lucas had to work very hard with tight deadlines, the limited budget he was allotted, and having to deal with enormous pressures from the studios or people that financed the movie. By the time of ROTJ, he had all the money and could call the shots and work a little more leisurely, like he has done with the prequels.
Old 09-27-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I learned that slave girls sunbathed on Jabba's sail barge.
Old 09-27-04, 01:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i learned that listening to a kershner commentary is like being spoken to like a blind 6 year old.

seriously though, i learned that the reason this trilogy is superior to the prequels is because lucas was forced to concentrate on the characters more because he was limited by technology constraints.

Last edited by cygnet74; 09-27-04 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I learned that William Katt had some pretty awful hair in 1975.
Old 09-27-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Eplicon
By the time of ROTJ, he had all the money and could call the shots and work a little more leisurely, like he has done with the prequels.
And, more specifically, by the time of ROTJ... Gary Kurtz had been fired as producer and Lucas was doing most of the stuff himself.

IMHO, that's why episodes VI, I, and II have a distinctly different feel to them... Lucas does some GREAT stuff, but he's better if he has someone there to say "You know, George. This doesn't work. Let's do this differently."
Old 09-27-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes! And that little fat ass-kisser for episodes I and II does NOT do that. What's his name, Rick McAllum or something?
Old 09-27-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Toad
Yes! And that little fat ass-kisser for episodes I and II does NOT do that. What's his name, Rick McAllum or something?
Why say anything, when you just get your name in the credits, and act like you are the mouth piece for this new trilogy...
Old 09-27-04, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by cygnet74
seriously though, i learned that the reason this trilogy is superior to the prequels is because lucas was forced to concentrate on the characters more because he was limited by technology constraints.
That is an excellent point.
Old 10-08-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I didn't realize Lucas started Pixar.
I did not know Lucas almost lost control because of the bank during ESB
Did not know that almost nobody on the production staff knew that Vader was Luke's father
Old 10-14-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I could say I learned (or perhaps understood better, and could approve) why Lucas wanted to go back and "make it better".

The fact that the studios started to really rush him etc. and essentially demanded it be done such and such a date...and that thankfully he was able to go beyond that date. Some of that footage of what the initially had was pretty horrible stuff!

Haven't done the commentaries yet...so the above was from the documentary.
Old 10-14-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I learned that I could shoot soda pop out of my nose from laughing at the awful rear projection test for the Landspeeder.

Almost as funny as the radio controlled Superman.
Old 10-19-04, 08:46 AM

Two amusing things that struck me during the Empire Strikes Back commentary: (1) Lucas repeatedly referred to Lando as Lando CLArissian, and (2) when Luke got his bionic hand, Kershner said that Luke could now "make love again" and was a whole man.
Old 10-19-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I started the ANH commentary last night, and right off the bat I learned Princess Leia has a PHD. I mean it's not surprising really, but I had just never really thought about it.
Old 11-09-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I learned that Kurt Russell would've ruined the whole movie.
Old 11-09-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

IMHO, that's why episodes VI, I, and II have a distinctly different feel to them... Lucas does some GREAT stuff, but he's better if he has someone there to say "You know, George. This doesn't work. Let's do this differently."
Please, let's not start with this "Gary Kurtz is the reason Star Wars was great" jive that jaded and disgruntled SW fans throw out, cause it's not the case. In fact, Kurtz running ESB deliriously over budget is the reason he got fired in the first place.
Old 11-09-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Let's not start"? You're responding to a post that is 6 weeks old.

For the record, I do not consider myself jaded or disgruntled. And I fully stand by my position that the lack of Kurtz is why VI, I, and II have such a different tone to them.
Old 11-10-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Terrell
Please, let's not start with this "Gary Kurtz is the reason Star Wars was great" jive that jaded and disgruntled SW fans throw out, cause it's not the case. In fact, Kurtz running ESB deliriously over budget is the reason he got fired in the first place.
Can someone translate that to me in english?. Dude seriously, what is your IQ? I can't be over 100, can it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.