Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mask of Fu Manchu/Mark of The Vampire/Mad Love when on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a 49 year old fan of the early Universal Monster movies, I also remember buying Famous Monsters of Filmland in the late 1960's, and reading about various titles by the other studios released in the 1930's!

Do any readers of this forum know when DVD editions will be released of early classics of the horror cinema, such as Mad Love starring Peter Lorre, The Mask of Fu Manchu starring Boris Karloff, and The Mark Of The Vampire with Bela Lugosi and Caroll Borland, in even "bare bones" versions?

Last edited by Deco King; 09-24-04 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-24-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the three that you mention were all originally MGM productions, so presumably Time Warner owns them now (unless they were independent productions that weren't included in Turner's purchase of MGM's pre 1986 catalog or excepted for some other reason). So you might want to check out the transcript of the Warner chat on the HTF from March 2004 to see if these titles were discussed:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...rners+AND+chat

As far as any others, it's probably on a case by case basis. The Ghoul on MGM may something that you'd like if you haven't already seen it. Also The Old Dark House from Kino (I'm not sure if that one is in print or not).

Last edited by obscurelabel; 09-24-04 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-24-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No info here, but you'd figure if they were being released anytime soon they would've been set for release sometime this month just to capitalize on Halloween. I'd definitely get Mark of the Vampire, though, even if it's a bit too much like Dracula.