Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ANH commentary comment

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANH commentary comment

I switched to the commentary track during the cantina scene, specifically to hear what GL would say regarding the Han/Greedo scene. Just as the scene starts reaches the point most of us have an issue with, Ben Burtt begins deliberating on the alien language spoken by Greedo. I thought it was unfortunate that GL didn't offer up an opinion or insight during the commentary. Maybe he feels that he has said enough on the subject, but it sure looks like a dodge.
Old 09-24-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I had to add a grade to these commentaries, in which I did listen to all three, it would be a "B+". They're really good and while GL doesn't out right talk about alterations (and by now he shouldn't have to), he does comment on the Hayden Christensen ghost in Jedi.
Old 09-24-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything interesting revealed about that?
Old 09-24-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately, these commentaries so far sound like they're NOT screen-specific. Sometimes they're not even scene-specific.
Old 09-24-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jonpeters
If I had to add a grade to these commentaries, in which I did listen to all three, it would be a "B+". They're really good and while GL doesn't out right talk about alterations (and by now he shouldn't have to), he does comment on the Hayden Christensen ghost in Jedi.
When does he comment on it? I just listened to the commentary on Jedi, at the ghost part, and heard nothing of it.
Old 09-24-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I read a recent interview where George comments on the Han/Greedo thing (I think it's the one in this week's Entertainment Weekly). He basically says the special edition change was a correction - the original scene is meant to give the impression that both fired at the same time, but fans never looked at it that way - so he wanted to visually clarify it.
Old 09-24-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I read a recent interview where George comments on the Han/Greedo thing (I think it's the one in this week's Entertainment Weekly). He basically says the special edition change was a correction - the original scene is meant to give the impression that both fired at the same time, but fans never looked at it that way - so he wanted to visually clarify it.
Which SE was the "correction", 97 SE or 2004 SE
Old 09-24-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
Which SE was the "correction", 97 SE or 2004 SE
Well, 1997 is the correction. The 2004 change is just so Han's movement doesn't look so jerky.