Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which LaserDisc is the closest to the original?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am unhappy with the current release and have decided to revert to Laser Disc. Which is the best version to get in terms of closest to the original?

-T
Old 09-22-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either the Definative Collection or The "Faces" version released in 95 or 96.

The Definative Collection is a CAV set which means a half hour per side..expect to get up a lot to change the discs even with a player that flips the discs.

The picture and sound are almost identical on the two...the CAV set has slightly better picture in my opinion.
Old 09-22-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
I owned the Definitive Collection when it was first released and it was the shit. The hardcover book about Lucas is great. The only downside (other than the sheer size/weight) is the commentary which has large gaps of silence.
Old 09-22-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by TomOpus
I owned the Definitive Collection when it was first released and it was the shit. The hardcover book about Lucas is great. The only downside (other than the sheer size/weight) is the commentary which has large gaps of silence.
Don't forget the infamous missing 8 seconds (which was corrected with later pressings). That, and the issue with having to only change discs once in the "Faces" set is what finally convinced me to buy that version off Ebay instead of the DC.

I believe both versions are missing Threepio's "tractor beam" line, however. And I read where "Close the blast doors!" may have actually appeared in the 1977 theatrical version, but disappeared from all home video versions until after the 1997 rerelease - so it's not on these laserdisc versions either.
Old 09-22-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You guys are the best. Thanks.
Old 09-22-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You might want to check out originaltrilogy.com/forum. This forum only deals with Star Wars Trilogy. Itīs HUGE and the absolutely the best one around.

There are members who has added new scenes into ep. 1 & 2, which practically makes them a whole new Star Wars movies.

Mostly, they are hardcore fanatics of the unaltered Original Trilogy, and has even made some fabulous custom covers. Much better than the ones we know of. I was truly amazed what some of these guys can do in cover design. George Lucas really ought to hire some of these guys. At least, they know what we want. Thatīs more than you can say about Lucas himself.

Last edited by Dane; 09-22-04 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-22-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rennervision
I believe both versions are missing Threepio's "tractor beam" line, however. And I read where "Close the blast doors!" may have actually appeared in the 1977 theatrical version, but disappeared from all home video versions until after the 1997 rerelease - so it's not on these laserdisc versions either.
Both versions have Threepio's line about the tractor beam.

And "Close the Blast Doors" was there in '77 (and is on the Story of Star Wars record album), but was not on any home video version until the 1997 SE came out.

I personally think that the CLV 'Faces' discs have slightly better picture quality... but it's really darn close. I have them both -- the Faces for casual viewing. The CAV Definitive for frame-by-frame and the extra goodies.
Old 09-22-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Both versions have Threepio's line about the tractor beam.
I don't own the Definitive Collection, but there is no way the Faces version has this line. I just checked it.
Old 09-22-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TomOpus
That was a pain in the ass...I worked around it though. I just selected the analog track and listened to the commentary through my tv speakers while the toslink connected to my reciever played the audio from the film...
Old 09-22-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Dane
You might want to check out originaltrilogy.com/forum. This forum only deals with Star Wars Trilogy. Itīs HUGE and the absolutely the best one around.

There are members who has added new scenes into ep. 1 & 2, which practically makes them a whole new Star Wars movies.

Mostly, they are hardcore fanatics of the unaltered Original Trilogy, and has even made some fabulous custom covers. Much better than the ones we know of. I was truly amazed what some of these guys can do in cover design. George Lucas really ought to hire some of these guys. At least, they know what we want. Thatīs more than you can say about Lucas himself.
No shit these guys are hardcore!!! I've been pretty impressed with what I've read so far.
Old 09-23-04, 01:15 AM
Banned

Yeah, on the covers it sure seems the studios should hire some of the people on web.
The crap covers they put out on some of these movies are unbelieveable.
Old 09-23-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rennervision
I don't own the Definitive Collection, but there is no way the Faces version has this line. I just checked it.
Ah, crap... now I'm going to have to go double-check.

EDIT: I would have bet some pretty serious money that Threepio's line was there... and I would have lost. I just checked both the Definitive and Faces discs for ANH and the line is not there. Damn you Lucas for making so many different versions. It's getting confusing!

Last edited by bboisvert; 09-23-04 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-23-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People should understand that LD viewing is HIGHLY dependant on your system. Your TV, your LDp are much greater factors with LDs than with DVDs or even VHS. The CAV box set should have better video, but really only if your player can take advantage of it. And if you have a truly awesome player, it may not matter either way.

So, low end player: CLV could actually be the same or better.
Mid-range player: CAV most likely better.
High-end Japanese player: Probably doesn't matter.

You can see why so few of us have this technology.

I've gotta check to see if I have Leia with the torch, I think I did that years ago, but can't remember.
Old 09-23-04, 04:25 PM

"You will release Captain Solo and the Wookie and the Original trilogy to me."
Old 09-24-04, 11:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
even though it's not 5.1 and the letterboxed framing is pushed close to the top of the screen and theyare subtitled, I have the Japanese CAV "Special Collection " editions of Episodes IV, V, VI, and the 1989/1990 laserdisc editions as well

(scroll down discs 13 and 17)
http://www.davisdvd.com/misc/ep4.htm

(scroll down: discs 8 and 9)
http://www.davisdvd.com/misc/ep5.htm

(scroll down: 6 and 7)
http://www.davisdvd.com/misc/ep6.htm

Last edited by Giles; 09-24-04 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-24-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 1989 laserdisc was quietly reissued with the newly corrected letterboxed transfer, completely doing away with the "incredible shrinking ratio" problem. This release, pressed by Mitsubishi Japan, features the same catalog number as the 1989 release. So how can you tell the two apart? This corrected edition is released by "Fox Video." Coupled with the 1985 audio mix, this could very well likely be the best presentation of the film [ Thanks to David C. Fein ]
And in the 1985 audio mix:

This release is a little-known milestone in the history of Star Wars. When Fox decided to digitally remaster the audio track for this re-release, sound designer Ben Burtt asked to be involved. What Burtt actually ended up doing was that he created an entirely new sound mix for the film. So in reality, the audio for this video release is the fourth official Star Wars audio mix (following the three original theatrical mixes - see the first entry at the top of this page). Among the clean up and digital repairs, some interesting new changes were added. These include sweetened sound effects, new stereo'd effects (Jawa voices after Artoo's capture) and, most noticeably, the addition of C-3PO's line in the Death Star ("The tractor beam is coupled to the main reactor in seven locations. A power loss at one of the terminals will allow the ship to leave"). This new sound mix was used for every subsequent video release until the 1993 THX "Definitive Collection" remastering [ Very Special Thanks to David C. Fein for this important revelation ]
more @ http://www.davisdvd.com/misc/ep4.htm
Old 09-25-04, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by Dane
At least, they know what we want. Thatīs more than you can say about Lucas himself.
dunno why people keep whining, lucas never said he was doing this for the fans.
Old 09-27-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
In many ways, the STAR WARS DEFINITIVE TRILOGY from 1993 still blows the DVD's out of the water.

I mean, granted, Ken Burns puts on a mean documentary, but there still are SO many extras that the LD box set has that the DVD's don't.

Such as:

1) Storyboard to film comparisons
2) Tour of the Lucasfilm archives (old models, costumes, props)
3) the Revenge of the Jedi trailer (did that ever make the DVD? I can't remember now....maybe it did)
4) Featurettes on making the snow walkers walk
5) Animatics for the speeder chase and the Battle of Endor
6) Individual interviews with John Williams, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren

and also...

it doesn't hurt to have the original trilogy included as well.
Old 09-27-04, 12:29 AM
Cool New Member

The closest for me, sadly, is the pan and scan CAV LD. It has a very nice picture and it's the only high quality issue of the original Dolby Stereo soundtrack. All other LD issues with that track were time compressed, while this disc wasn't.

The 1985 mix is very close to this, but there are subtle changes, most notably the 3PO line, which was previously only heard in the mono mix. Thats why it's on the "Story of" album. Thta album used the mono dialogue track. The 3PO line is there, as is "Close the blast doors" and a different voice for Aunt Beru.

The 1993 THX mix is nice, but too many things are changed for my liking. The addition of some really new and out place sound effects, like the blaster fire that gets 3PO into the escape pod, are too distracting.

Neil
Old 09-27-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"pan and scan", "closest" and "star wars" have no place in the same sentence!!

Also, aside from extras, the faces much version is better than the Definitive.
Old 09-27-04, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rennervision
[B]Don't forget the infamous missing 8 seconds (which was corrected with later pressings). That, and the issue with having to only change discs once in the "Faces" set is what finally convinced me to buy that version off Ebay instead of the DC.

They did offer a replacement disc for this at the time.
Old 09-27-04, 05:15 PM
Political Exile

Originally posted by jeffkjoe

I mean, granted, Ken Burns puts on a mean documentary, but there still are SO many extras that the LD box set has that the DVD's don't.

kevin burns
Old 09-27-04, 06:31 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Class316
[B]"pan and scan", "closest" and "star wars" have no place in the same sentence!!
In terms of sound, that one is my preferred and closest to the original since it is the original. Wasn't that the question?

Neil
Old 09-29-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I picked up "the faces" DVD's and they should be arriving in the mail shortly.

No I need a damn player. Preferably one that plays both sides, has digtal audio and S-VHS out.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tacomantt
Ok, I picked up "the faces" DVD's and they should be arriving in the mail shortly.

No I need a damn player. Preferably one that plays both sides, has digtal audio and S-VHS out.

Any suggestions?
you mean LDs not DVDs

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.