Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Les Miserables Superbit - Any news?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Les Miserables Superbit - Any news?

Old 09-29-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I may have to get that one from DVD Heaven. I'm relieved that it's NTSC because PAL speedup would really hurt this.

IMDB has this as using HDTV under the "cinematographic process" in technical specs, so a BD version may be possible. Who knows when they would get around to it though? The Region 1 edition is apparently OOP (hence why PBS had to give away VHS copies in 2007).
Old 09-30-07, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I may have to get that one from DVD Heaven. I'm relieved that it's NTSC because PAL speedup would really hurt this.
I completely forgot about this being PAL, anybody know if I'll have any problems playing this with my oppo 981? Many thanks!
Old 09-30-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by melvin
I completely forgot about this being PAL, anybody know if I'll have any problems playing this with my oppo 981? Many thanks!
There shouldn't be any problem playing it on any region free player on the market today as far as I know. But the 4% PAL speedup may be noticeable. That's why the Korean NTSC version is probably preferable in this case.
Old 09-30-07, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I cancelled my order for now; hopefully It'll show up somewhere. A quick question, has anyone dealt with dvd heaven before(or similar sites)? I'm sure they're legit but when you go to the home page they list a bunch of CC logos above their name but when I checked the q&a they only listed paypal and bank transfers. I don't want 2 setup a paypal account for one item just a regular CC. Any hints or suggestions? Or other sites to try? Thanks again!!! -luv this site
Old 09-30-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info. I cancelled my order for now; hopefully It'll show up somewhere. A quick question, has anyone dealt with dvd heaven before(or similar sites)? I'm sure they're legit but when you go to the home page they list a bunch of CC logos above their name but when I checked the q&a they only listed paypal and bank transfers. I don't want 2 setup a paypal account for one item just a regular CC. Any hints or suggestions? Or other sites to try? Thanks again!!! -luv this site
http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/

Very close to the same price.

Both DVD Heaven and DVDfromkorea are trusted, excellent sites. I've ordered from both and never had a problem.

I notice that the DVDfromkorea info says it is full screen but I'm sure that's just a mistake. I'm sure it's the same as the one on DVD Heaven.
Old 10-05-07, 07:57 AM

Sorry to bump this thread again (don't know if its frowned on) But the disc came yesterday. Unable to cancel and decided to open it -and I may have had some dumb luck; now I'm just wondering what I have... The cover is the exact same one as the 1st page but has a partial cardboard "sleeve" around the left front and right rear of case itself with japan or chinese writing on it.
Now the weird part... when I checked the specs there was no region code just a sqraue with "all" and the case says NTSC! I have no idea what this is but I figure I'll keep it (haven't opened yet its a gift). Any ideas what this is? I know I got hosed on the price- but live and learn I guess. Thanks again. -jp
Old 10-13-07, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
To clarify, South Korea uses NTSC so there's no reason for it to be PAL.
Old 10-13-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry to bump this thread again (don't know if its frowned on) But the disc came yesterday. Unable to cancel and decided to open it -and I may have had some dumb luck; now I'm just wondering what I have... The cover is the exact same one as the 1st page but has a partial cardboard "sleeve" around the left front and right rear of case itself with japan or chinese writing on it.
Now the weird part... when I checked the specs there was no region code just a sqraue with "all" and the case says NTSC! I have no idea what this is but I figure I'll keep it (haven't opened yet its a gift). Any ideas what this is? I know I got hosed on the price- but live and learn I guess. Thanks again. -jp
Absolutely nothing wrong with the bump.

The genuine South Korea disc is R3, not all-region. Plus the UPC on the Sam Goody page does not match either the present South Korean disc or the one I have. The price makes me think it may be Japanese (Japan is NTSC) as their prices are often ridiculous but then I'd expect it to be R2. Chinese or Hong Kong discs are probably more often all-region. Unfortunately I can't tell Japanese writing from Chinese or Korean. Perhaps someone who can could look at the picture and tell us what language it is.

http://www.samgoody.com/LES-MISERABL...VVviewprod.htm

Perhaps yours is the same as this one (unfortunately, no picture):

http://www.amazon.ca/Miserables-Conc.../dp/B000NDEXFC

Does the studio of yours match "Power International Multimedia Inc./VCI/Well" listed on Amazon Canada. Does it have Chinese subtitles as that one does?
Old 10-13-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's taiwanese. the upc code lookup shows that the manufacturer is the same - Power Intl.

--
i'm just enjoying my UK edition but, then again, i don't really notice/care about the PAL speedup.
Old 10-16-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Came in, today. The disc is Region 3 even though the website said Region Free. That didn't hold me back, though!

Great sound. The picture is sharp but there are glaring compression artifacts in the darker scenes. It's still better than the Region 1 disc.
Old 10-25-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Came in, today. The disc is Region 3 even though the website said Region Free. That didn't hold me back, though!

Great sound. The picture is sharp but there are glaring compression artifacts in the darker scenes. It's still better than the Region 1 disc.
Did your's come with the booklet shown in the picture on the first page of this thread?
Old 10-25-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep

It's just like a little Golden Book.
Old 01-28-08, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Looks like BBC Video is releasing the two disc (non-Superbit - DTS) version on February 19.

http://www.amazon.com/Miserables-Ann...1507541&sr=1-2
Old 01-31-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy crap, that's Region 1. I saw BBC and assumed it was a UK release. ABOUT DAMNED TIME!!
Old 01-31-08, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, that probably explains why it was OOP - BBC/Warner has the rights now. Come on, announce it for BD!
Old 02-02-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Looks like BBC Video is releasing the two disc (non-Superbit - DTS) version on February 19.

http://www.amazon.com/Miserables-Ann...1507541&sr=1-2
According to Todd Douglass' DVD Talk review, the R1 soundtrack is just 2.0.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32207

I would not touch this with the R3 DTS available.
Old 02-02-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have the R3 disc, the sound is great but the picture quality leaves a LOT to be desired. Lots of compression artifacts...

The review posted reviews a screener DVD, which doesn't represent the quality of the final release. (They say so in the review!) So I don't know why they even posted a review...
Old 02-02-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shaun3000
I have the R3 disc, the sound is great but the picture quality leaves a LOT to be desired. Lots of compression artifacts...
The review said about the same things about the new picture.

The review posted reviews a screener DVD, which doesn't represent the quality of the final release. (They say so in the review!) So I don't know why they even posted a review...
I noticed too that it was a screener. But I doubt the final release will be a lot better. And it's 2.0 nevertheless.

If the picture is better on the new release and the sound is inferior (which it has to be if it's 2.0) I'd take the R3 release any time. For this program the sound is a lot more important than the picture.