Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

THe Original Making of Star Wars on dvd? Cornflakes and VHS

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THe Original Making of Star Wars on dvd? Cornflakes and VHS

I thought for sure someone would get this as the free bonus disc for the dvd's this week. Many of you probably mailed away for the vhs back in the 90s after buying cereal. Just throwing in the hat saying put it out and I'll buy it.
Old 09-18-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope someday that the FROM STAR WARS TO JEDI makes it to DVD in some form, maybe in the mega box set in the future. There is also that one short Documentary hosted by C3PO and R2.
Old 09-18-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From Star Wars TO Jedi... Definatly something that should have been included. It was one of the first documentaries I saw when I was younger. Just great!
Old 09-18-04, 12:42 PM

I wish they would release all 4 Star Wars documentaries. They could fit on 2 DVDs or 1 double sided DVD:

Star Wars: The Making of Star Wars - 1977
Star Wars: SP FX: The Empire Strikes Back - 1983
Star Wars: Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi - 1983
Star Wars: From Star Wars To Jedi: The Making of A Saga - 1983

The new one should be good but it's more interesting to me to see documentaries from when the films were new/fresh rather than a looking back retrospective type thing.
Old 09-18-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ahhh Classic Creatures ROTJ... isnt that the one that was on ABC or something back in 83? I remember seeing an hour or two documentary just on ROTJ back then and it was cool.
Old 09-18-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was hoping you would see these on bonus disc exclusive to retailers...best buy gets one circuit city gets one musicland gets one...so on and so on...like with the bond dvd.
Old 09-18-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cameron
I was hoping you would see these on bonus disc exclusive to retailers...best buy gets one circuit city gets one musicland gets one...so on and so on...like with the bond dvd.
So then you would have to buy the set multiple times to get all the bonus discs?
Old 09-18-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
Ahhh Classic Creatures ROTJ... isnt that the one that was on ABC or something back in 83? I remember seeing an hour or two documentary just on ROTJ back then and it was cool.

The above three documentaries:

Making of Star Wars
SPFX: The Empire Strikes Back
Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi

were all broadcast on CBS. Making of Star Wars was originally narrated by William Conrad of NFL Films fame, but was switched to another narrator when the doc was re-released in the mid-90's.

Interesting note: All three docs were written by Richard Shickel, the former critic for Time Magazine (along with Richard Corliss). Richard Shickel also wrote the three documentaries for the Indiana Jones films. (Great Stunts: Raiders, Sidekicks and Heroes: Temple of Doom, and the Last Crusade one).

From Star Wars to Jedi

was broadcast on PBS.
Old 09-18-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Making of Star Wars (as told by C3PO & R2D2) - 1977
SPFX: The Empire Strikes Back - 1981
From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga - 1985
Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi - 1986

These, as well as all the extras from both the VHS and the LD Def Ed are all floating around online.
Old 09-18-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
don't worry, those will be on the re-re-re-re-re-re-release.
Old 09-18-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have the original from the cornflakes promo. It was cool to see Carrie fisher say that she was told the next one would have a winter planet in it.
Old 09-18-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as they put the Engergizer Bunny Vs. Darth Vader commercial on the next re-release we are all good. Best commercial ever!

Last edited by Rammsteinfan; 09-18-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-18-04, 03:57 PM
Banned

Yeah, I remember seeing the Empire documentary on TV. The part that always sticks with me (maybe because that's the only part I saw) is on how they did that "Luke flying through the broken window on Cloud City during the saber duel" stunt.
Old 09-18-04, 04:01 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There was a doc on PBS years ago where they showed blocking the speeder scene on Endor with a tiny camera and a scale model that was just phenomenal.

Was that From Star Wars to Jedi?
Old 09-18-04, 04:18 PM
Banned

Side Note: does anyone have the Heroes and Sidekicks: TOD special or the Nova TV special from 84? The latter had the making of Jedi and TOD on it and had a lot of footage not shown elsewhere.
Old 09-18-04, 05:51 PM

Wasn't Star Wars: SP FX: The Empire Strikes Back narrated by Walter Cronkite? I've got that in my brain for some reason.
Old 09-18-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought From Star Wars to Jedi was the weakest of the making-of from the original trilogy. Too much emphasis was on ROTJ and a lot of cool behind-the-scenes stuff from the earlier docs were nowhere to be seen here.

Some of my favorite segments from the SPFX one was where it was demonstrated how the laser gun sound was created and the one where the light saber battle sound effects was being looped to the film. I remember seeing someone (Ben Burtt?) moving some sort of electrified metal rod in front of some speaker or something which gave it that electrified humming and whirring sound.
Old 09-19-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What was the one that was on not too long ago hosted by Howie Long?
Old 09-19-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I taped From Star Wars to Jedi off of HBO '83,84,85 one of those years
Old 10-04-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yah and pbs ran a interview about the myths and religion of star wars when TPM was released....comparing the virgin births and darth maul looking like satan
Old 10-04-04, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Yeah, I remember seeing the Empire documentary on TV. The part that always sticks with me (maybe because that's the only part I saw) is on how they did that "Luke flying through the broken window on Cloud City during the saber duel" stunt.
That's the gymast, right? I remember that as well.

Makes me long for the old days of filmmaking. Nowadays we get some sort of digital actor in a five million dollar computer special effect. Back then, some guy goes "hey, we could get one of those olympic dudes to do a back flip!"
Old 10-05-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

those documentaries rule, they have such a nostalgic feel to them. i only have the From SW to Jedi and the mailaway Making of SW on VHS. itching to get all of 'em on disc one day.