Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will we ever see the ultimate cuts of Star Wars on DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-15-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My main disappointment with the new Star Wars discs is that there aren't MORE changes. For some reason, this long of a wait, I really expected far more. Lucas used the excuse to not put them out before because he didn't have time to finish the changes on them. Well, he's had time, and diddly squat has been done to them. The changes, with the exception of the end of Jedi, are all pretty minor. Cosmetic stuff that, as far as I am concerned, is far better than the 97 editions anyday, but it still does not justify a 7 year wait to get these on DVD. There are still flaws in how some of the shots look, especially noticeable in A New Hope, where you see some color variations in the same shots in certain scenes, variations that you think they would have or at least could have corrected. Don't get me wrong, they look great, and are a vast improvment over the laser discs, but as great as they look, they don't look like they took 7 years to make.

What would have made me happy is if he released the full cut of A New Hope, complete with the Biggs scene on Tattooine, and maybe even took time to add some of the visionary stuff he had in his original novel that didn't make it into the movie. And would it have killed him to include the black and white cut that he first shot that had different takes and scenes that never made it into the final movie? It's not as if they were a secret, as the Star Wars Insider proudly published shots of the black and white cut with a full article about the differences in that version.

Like Indiana Jones, these DVDs are NOT worth the wait. For as long as we have waited for them (Indy and Star Wars), they should have been two disc sets for each movie (and maybe even three or four discs for A New Hope) and some of the original documentaries should have been preserved, and placed along side with the new stuff they made for the DVDs.

Oh, well, maybe after Episode 3, Lucas will revist the trilogy and make the ultimate changes we've been hearing about for all these years. The original trilogy deserves just as much, if not more, attention given to their home DVD releases as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Perhaps in the future Lucas could release his dream ultimate cuts on DVD, one movie at a time, and preferably in extended cut formats that are single box sets for each movie, like the LOTR discs. At the very least, A New Hope deserves four DVDs all to itself. And the fourth disc being? The original cuts of each movie, of course.
Old 09-15-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At first lucas said he wasn't going to release them until after Epsiode III was released. I'm just happy we are getting them a year early.
Old 09-15-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

With the amount of archive footage Lucas must have, they could easily put out a DVD set that would put anything to shame.

I'd like to see something like a 3 or 4 Disc set for each movie, one disc for the theatrical cut, one for his final version, and one or two discs of extra features. One of these threads mentions why some footage like deleted scenes were held back: for a future release.

I would like to see Lucas and Co. revist this titles sometime after Episode III, as well as seeing some 2 disc Indy discs.
Old 09-15-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some people are doubtless going to call you out for "impossible-to-please" bitching, but I agree with you. I am happy to have Star Wars on DVD and looking better than the old VHS and laserdiscs - don't get me wrong - but I think the wait and mammoth fanbase justify a little something more. This is, afterall, the creme de la creme of blockbuster cinema and should therefore have not just a great DVD release, but the greatest. I would like to see Ultimate Editions as well, with all the stuff you mentioned plus remastered original theatrical cuts. I think the fact that Star Wars is a motion picture institution and has made George Lucas a billionaire, deserves a little something more. Great DVD's, but I'm still holding out for a massive UE set. Maybe we'll get something like that when Star Wars goes HD. Otherwise, separate DVD releases for the Theatrical Cuts with some of the missing extras you mentioned included as bonus features. If I got that I swear I would be happy and never bitch about Lucas ever again.

Last edited by joliom; 09-15-04 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-15-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
With the amount of archive footage Lucas must have, they could easily put out a DVD set that would put anything to shame
Five bucks says that allt hat endless hours will eventually make it to dvd in the many different re-re-releases that will come out in the future. if you believe lucas is done, you are fooling yourself.
Old 09-15-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think there's such a thing as overkill. I'm sure all the die-hard SW fans would love to have umpteen-disc editions of each film with seventy-two hours of bonus features... but for someone who just *likes the movies* all that would just be a waste of shelf space and money. I mean, I'm on public record as saying they're great films, but in terms of bonus material, I'd rather have a manageable amount of very high quality (ie. the documentary) than a mammoth amount of stuff to wade through. So sure, they could have put more content on the current release, but in terms of striking a balance for most viewers, I think the amount of special features is pretty darn good.

I'm one for quality over quantity any day, and I find all-but-the-kitchen-sink-style bonus material to be overwhelming (and I usually don't get around to watching it, whereas a well-done documentary *will* get watched.)
Old 09-15-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When people were initially bitching about the original trilogy not showing up (and Episode I initially being VHS-only), Rick McCallum was quoted as saying that they were working at really taking DVD to the "next level" for the Star Wars releases...

He mentioned (among other things) putting out a DVD of Episode I that used branching to allow you to watch different versions of the film -- all bluescreen version, anamatic version, onset audio version, etc. Essentially showing the *same* film from different perspectives with different levels of "completion" to it. So you could see the layers that needed to be applied for a final cut.

While I think the Star Wars DVDs so far have been pretty high-quality (good picture/sound, entertaining extras)... I have to agree a bit with the sentiments here. There's a lot more that they could (and should) do. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that I suspect we'll see more releases down the road...
Old 09-15-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If The Battle of Algiers can get a 3-disc set, I think Empire Strikes Back can too! Damn you Lucas!
Old 09-15-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Star Wars just looks bad to some people since the special features are no where near the level of some other big releases out there like the LOTR Extended Editions or the upcoming Gone with the Wind. Heck, even some of Fox's own big releases like Fight Club and Moulin Rouge are considered more impressive and those are over three years old.
Old 09-16-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not everyone cares about the extras. People will buy these for the films alone.
Old 09-16-04, 12:23 AM

Just for fun....I would like to see a ultimate star wars cut!
Old 09-16-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

These films will be altered again at some point and released on HD-DVD with new extras. I have no doubt about that. I still think we are a long way from the final version of any of the six films.
Old 09-16-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Five bucks says that allt hat endless hours will eventually make it to dvd in the many different re-re-releases that will come out in the future. if you believe lucas is done, you are fooling yourself.
I agree. I figure 2014 is about when Lucas will re-re-re-release the original trilogy with additional changes on HD-DVD to coincide with the theatrical release of Episode IX: Luke Breaks His Hip.
Old 09-16-04, 02:42 AM

My prediction:

We will see the original trilogy on DVD.

But not until Episode III, when all six movies come out in one giant box set.

How else will they get us to double-dip on DVD in the future, unless they were to throw down their final trump card, i.e. - original AND special editions?
Old 09-16-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

oh trust me, they will double dip plenty of times and they will get plenty of people to rebuy them. The trick? This box set that is coming out will be OOP by middle of next year.. if not earlier. mark my words.
Old 09-16-04, 08:26 AM

I too would love a huge set with tons of extras. I also agree that the original cuts will be the trump for the double-dip. I think that the reason there are not as much extras as we would like is that Lucas (and others) know that DVD video is quickly ripped and disseminated on the internet. Once he lets all this footage out, it's out. Perhaps they are hoping the next gen of DVD (HD, Blu-Ray) is less succeptible to piracy.
Old 09-16-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know there will be a double dip - which is exactly why I will not be buying these. I will only buy these if Episode III is horrific and ends up making me hate all of the prequels.

Look at the Alien Quadrilogy, the upcoming Matrix set and I'm sure several others. As sucessful as those have been, I still would not put those movie lines on par with Star Wars. Also, I would not expect any of those movies to have as many resources and as much money to put into a dvd boxed set as Lucas could.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-16-04, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Not everyone cares about the extras. People will buy these for the films alone.
Yes, but which versions of the films are we getting? More than a few folks consider the original theatrical cuts to be the true versions and would hardly consider their inclusion on a DVD set to be frivolous extras. I could let the other deleted footage and original featurettes go, but until I get properly remastered theatrical cuts I am not satisfied and will continue to cry foul until Lucas' ears bleed.