Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 03:19 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, there are no other big major studio releases this week coming up, other than TV season sets and such.

I for one am looking forward to La Dolce Vita and Battle of Algiers in addition to the Star Wars Trilogy.

Great month for DVD!
Old 09-16-04, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
I guess its for those small group of folks who don't like star wars. I for one think that everyone should like star wars.

And who's going to make them? You?

Sounds like a dictatorship to me.

Old 09-16-04, 05:48 AM

I guess its for those small group of folks who don't like star wars. I for one think that everyone should like star wars.
well, i like them, but not enough to buy them...
plus i don't want to give any more money to lucas. he's getting $10 for the ticket to the next one, but that's it.
amazing how much dough he milked out of a couple of above average popcorn movies.
Old 09-16-04, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date?

To answer the original Question....

Let's see -- because not everyone is obsessed with Star Wars. I hope you weren't 100% serious when asking this question.

Matt
Old 09-16-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Star Wars DVD's are going to bring people into the stores, increasing exposure to other new releases as they will most likely be stacked nearby.
Old 09-16-04, 08:04 AM

Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date?

Originally posted by scott1598
I mean wouldn't it make more sense to just do it a week later considering this is the biggest thing since toasted bread?
Huh? you're kidding, right? ...not everybody thinks Star Wars is all that....

Last edited by Concorde; 09-16-04 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-16-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because some people could careless if Star Wars is released on DVD.
Old 09-16-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
Exactimundo. I'm looking forward to Mean Girls and Mr. Show S4.
Old 09-16-04, 09:15 AM

Mean Girls is a cute movie. I saw it on a flight from LA to NY
Old 09-16-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked Mean Girls also
Old 09-16-04, 10:53 AM
Retired

SW will lure shoppers into stores, and these shoppers may pick up other new releases they see on the shelf near SW.
Old 09-16-04, 10:58 AM

I mean wouldn't it make more sense to just do it a week later considering this is the biggest thing since toasted bread?

I mean I am sure there are decent releases, but who really is gonna notice this week?
Right .. cause all DVD buyers show uncanny amounts of restraint when buying movies and only buy 1 item every Tuesday.
Old 09-16-04, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
Because some people COULDN'T careless if Star Wars is released on DVD.
Old 09-16-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt Star Wars will match the numbers put up by Passion of the Christ and I also expect Shrek 2 & Spidey 2 to be ahead of it for total sales at the end of the year.

Star Wars may be the biggest thing among net geeks, but Soccer moms strolling down the aisle of Stop&Shop want "new" movies.

Not saying that Star Wars isn't going to sell a ton of copies, but I don't think it's going to be the big dvd event of the year.
Old 09-16-04, 11:27 AM

I mean I am sure there are decent releases, but who really is gonna notice this week?
It's a big world. There's lots of people out there with lots of interests, not all of which are the same as yours.

Not everyone is going ga-ga over Lucas' latest changed movies.

I'll be interested in anything BUT Star Wars. I like Star Wars, but I don't need these DVDs. I've got the original "original trilogy" on VHS, and considering how infrequently I watch them, it's good enough.
Old 09-16-04, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Bugg
I doubt Star Wars will match the numbers put up by Passion of the Christ and I also expect Shrek 2 & Spidey 2 to be ahead of it for total sales at the end of the year.

Star Wars may be the biggest thing among net geeks, but Soccer moms strolling down the aisle of Stop&Shop want "new" movies.

Not saying that Star Wars isn't going to sell a ton of copies, but I don't think it's going to be the big dvd event of the year.
Are you high? While I won't get into hyperbole, this is the granddaddy of them all! The demand will finally be fulfilled. I will be very shocked if anything else tops this set for the year.
Old 09-16-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Bugg

Of course Passion, Spider-Man and Shrek will sell more, they'll be $15, Star Wars will be $40. Star Wars will easily be the biggest set up the year, just like Indiana Jones was last year.
Old 09-16-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally posted by jough

I for one am looking forward to La Dolce Vita and Battle of Algiers in addition to the Star Wars Trilogy.

Great month for DVD!
Algiers got moved to 10/12 - it's my most wanted dvd of this year! - but we have the Cassavetes set to more than hold us over.
Old 09-16-04, 12:23 PM

Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the d

I hate to be picky, but doesn't the phrase go: _____ is the best thing since sliced bread.?
Old 09-16-04, 12:26 PM
Banned

Re: Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the d

Originally posted by mjlukich
I hate to be picky, but doesn't the phrase go: _____ is the best thing since sliced bread.?
Toast is nice too.
Old 09-16-04, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Green Jello
Thanks for the correction. Real Men of Genius.
Old 09-16-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Green Jello
It was pretty careless that you corrected one mistake in that post but apparently couldn't care less about the other.

(I only mention it since everyone else is already nit-picking.)
Old 09-16-04, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tscott
It was pretty careless that you corrected one mistake in that post but apparently couldn't care less about the other.

(I only mention it since everyone else is already nit-picking.)
Good point. While it would be a full time job correcting everyone's spelling and grammar in online forums, I HAVE taken it upon myself to help the world quit incorrectly using that expression.

Old 09-16-04, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Re: Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the d

Originally posted by mjlukich
Actually, I believe the expression is now:

_________ is the best thing since night baseball, which came only a few years after sliced bread became popular.
Old 09-16-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's simple counter-programming - it's the same reason that Paramount will release some movie like "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" when Episode II is released in theaters. Not everyone wants to buy/see Star Wars.....which leads me to believe something is wrong with them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.