DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/385634-star-wars-coming-out-9-21-why-would-anyone-else-release-dvds-date.html)

jough 09-16-04 03:19 AM

Well, there are no other big major studio releases this week coming up, other than TV season sets and such.

I for one am looking forward to La Dolce Vita and Battle of Algiers in addition to the Star Wars Trilogy.

Great month for DVD! :up:

JTH182 09-16-04 04:50 AM

Originally posted by Fok
I guess its for those small group of folks who don't like star wars. I for one think that everyone should like star wars.

And who's going to make them? You?

Sounds like a dictatorship to me.

:lol:

p h a n a t | c 09-16-04 05:48 AM

I guess its for those small group of folks who don't like star wars. I for one think that everyone should like star wars.
well, i like them, but not enough to buy them...
plus i don't want to give any more money to lucas. he's getting $10 for the ticket to the next one, but that's it.
amazing how much dough he milked out of a couple of above average popcorn movies.

KillerQ 09-16-04 06:18 AM

Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date?

To answer the original Question....

Let's see -- because not everyone is obsessed with Star Wars. I hope you weren't 100% serious when asking this question.

:)

Matt

freudguy 09-16-04 07:47 AM

The Star Wars DVD's are going to bring people into the stores, increasing exposure to other new releases as they will most likely be stacked nearby.

Concorde 09-16-04 08:04 AM

Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date?

Originally posted by scott1598
I mean wouldn't it make more sense to just do it a week later considering this is the biggest thing since toasted bread?

Huh? you're kidding, right? ...not everybody thinks Star Wars is all that....

Get Me Coffee 09-16-04 08:23 AM

Because some people could careless if Star Wars is released on DVD.

matome 09-16-04 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
Exactimundo. I'm looking forward to <i>Mean Girls</i> and <i>Mr. Show S4.</i>

Get Me Coffee 09-16-04 09:15 AM

Mean Girls is a cute movie. I saw it on a flight from LA to NY

Demontooth 09-16-04 10:46 AM

I liked Mean Girls also

Josh H 09-16-04 10:53 AM

SW will lure shoppers into stores, and these shoppers may pick up other new releases they see on the shelf near SW.

cross 09-16-04 10:58 AM

I mean wouldn't it make more sense to just do it a week later considering this is the biggest thing since toasted bread?

I mean I am sure there are decent releases, but who really is gonna notice this week?

Right .. cause all DVD buyers show uncanny amounts of restraint when buying movies and only buy 1 item every Tuesday.

Green Jello 09-16-04 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
Because some people COULDN'T careless if Star Wars is released on DVD.

Bugg 09-16-04 11:13 AM

I doubt Star Wars will match the numbers put up by Passion of the Christ and I also expect Shrek 2 & Spidey 2 to be ahead of it for total sales at the end of the year.

Star Wars may be the biggest thing among net geeks, but Soccer moms strolling down the aisle of Stop&Shop want "new" movies.

Not saying that Star Wars isn't going to sell a ton of copies, but I don't think it's going to be the big dvd event of the year.

Altimus Prime 09-16-04 11:27 AM

I mean I am sure there are decent releases, but who really is gonna notice this week?

It's a big world. There's lots of people out there with lots of interests, not all of which are the same as yours.

Not everyone is going ga-ga over Lucas' latest changed movies.

I'll be interested in anything BUT Star Wars. I like Star Wars, but I don't need these DVDs. I've got the original "original trilogy" on VHS, and considering how infrequently I watch them, it's good enough.

Qui Gon Jim 09-16-04 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Bugg
I doubt Star Wars will match the numbers put up by Passion of the Christ and I also expect Shrek 2 & Spidey 2 to be ahead of it for total sales at the end of the year.

Star Wars may be the biggest thing among net geeks, but Soccer moms strolling down the aisle of Stop&Shop want "new" movies.

Not saying that Star Wars isn't going to sell a ton of copies, but I don't think it's going to be the big dvd event of the year.

Are you high? While I won't get into hyperbole, this is the granddaddy of them all! The demand will finally be fulfilled. I will be very shocked if anything else tops this set for the year.

majorjoe23 09-16-04 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Bugg

Of course Passion, Spider-Man and Shrek will sell more, they'll be $15, Star Wars will be $40. Star Wars will easily be the biggest set up the year, just like Indiana Jones was last year.

slop101 09-16-04 12:22 PM

Originally posted by jough

I for one am looking forward to La Dolce Vita and Battle of Algiers in addition to the Star Wars Trilogy.

Great month for DVD! :up:

Algiers got moved to 10/12 - it's my most wanted dvd of this year! - but we have the Cassavetes set to more than hold us over.

mjlukich 09-16-04 12:23 PM

Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the d

I hate to be picky, but doesn't the phrase go: _____ is the best thing since sliced bread.?

Green Jello 09-16-04 12:26 PM

Re: Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the d

Originally posted by mjlukich
I hate to be picky, but doesn't the phrase go: _____ is the best thing since sliced bread.?
Toast is nice too. :)

Get Me Coffee 09-16-04 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Green Jello
Thanks for the correction. Real Men of Genius.

Tscott 09-16-04 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Green Jello
It was pretty careless that you corrected one mistake in that post but apparently couldn't care less about the other.

(I only mention it since everyone else is already nit-picking.)

Green Jello 09-16-04 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Tscott
It was pretty careless that you corrected one mistake in that post but apparently couldn't care less about the other.

(I only mention it since everyone else is already nit-picking.)

Good point. While it would be a full time job correcting everyone's spelling and grammar in online forums, I HAVE taken it upon myself to help the world quit incorrectly using that expression.

:)

jough 09-16-04 03:09 PM

Re: Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the d

Originally posted by mjlukich
Actually, I believe the expression is now:

_________ is the best thing since night baseball, which came only a few years after sliced bread became popular.

Toad 09-16-04 03:25 PM

It's simple counter-programming - it's the same reason that Paramount will release some movie like "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" when Episode II is released in theaters. Not everyone wants to buy/see Star Wars.....which leads me to believe something is wrong with them. ;)