DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/385634-star-wars-coming-out-9-21-why-would-anyone-else-release-dvds-date.html)

OldBoy 09-15-04 07:38 PM

With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date?

I mean wouldn't it make more sense to just do it a week later considering this is the biggest thing since toasted bread?

I mean I am sure there are decent releases, but who really is gonna notice this week?

Big Worms 09-15-04 07:39 PM

True. But I am sure that the release dates are planned months in advanced and a lot goes into it. Not much you can do about it. Atleast that is what I would think.

Fok 09-15-04 07:41 PM

I guess its for those small group of folks who don't like star wars. I for one think that everyone should like star wars.

OldBoy 09-15-04 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Big Worms
True. But I am sure that the release dates are planned months in advanced and a lot goes into it. Not much you can do about it. Atleast that is what I would think.
yeah, but theatrical releases change dates according to a bigger movie opening. also, dvd's are easily pushed back, etc...

RyoHazuki 09-15-04 07:45 PM

There stuff will be on the new release rack next to the highest selling dvd of the year. I don't think it could hurt to release it then.

Jackskeleton 09-15-04 07:50 PM

This isn't a movie theater so it doesn't offer much of an issue. You realize that people buy more then one dvd at a time. Best Buy is hoping that you come in for star wars and pick up something else. That's why they are called Loss leaders. Now other studios can take advantage of this and put out their products in hope that they go in for star wars, but also see their title next to it and say "what the hell, why not".

With films in the theater the person has to make a choice on which 1 movie to see that night. When buying it on dvd they don't have to make that "one or the other" choice as they can see the movies whenever they want.

Makes sense right?

Grizzly 09-15-04 07:52 PM

well, they can be pretty sure that people will be flooding into stores to pick up the Star Wars DVDs.. and with other new releases on the racks, they might pick up a few of those too while they're at it.. makes sense to me. not that i think it'll be much of a boost to release it the same date as Star Wars or anything, but i don't think it'll hurt other titles either.

Tscott 09-15-04 07:53 PM

but who really is gonna notice this week?
I'd notice. If I'm not able to find Mr. Show The Complete 4th Season next Tuesday I'll be pissed. I just hope I don't slip in the puddles of jizz all you guys will be leaving in the isles when I go to purchase my non-SW DVDs.

Regardless of what some think the world does not revolve around the Star Wars DVDs.

Big Worms 09-15-04 07:53 PM

And to be honest looking at the list nothing stands out that I would want to get anyway. Maybe that is why the first two weeks of September have been so heavy at new releases. Especially the first week.

madcougar 09-15-04 08:01 PM

Because some of us make more than minimum wage?

fumanstan 09-15-04 08:03 PM

There isn't any other really big releases on DVD that day, at least in the case of movies realeased theatrically. So... it looks to me like studios are avoiding Star Wars.

Jackskeleton 09-15-04 08:04 PM

Originally posted by madcougar
Because some of us make more than minimum wage?

:lol:

Sir, I salute you.

Mike Lowrey 09-15-04 08:07 PM

The only other purchase I'm making next week is the computer game, ROME: Total War. The first game I've bought in nearly a year.

PopcornTreeCt 09-15-04 08:11 PM

Oh puhlease! Indie and Foreign fans have reason to celebrate next week with La Dolce Vita and John Cassavetes: Five Films both coming out!

Kal-El 09-15-04 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Fok
I guess its for those small group of folks who don't like star wars. I for one think that everyone should like star wars.
Agree on both counts.

Coral 09-15-04 08:31 PM

Because not everyone is going to purchase Star Wars.

I've got La Dolce Vita and Last Night to purchase on the 21st... I couldn't care less about Star Wars.

joliom 09-15-04 09:04 PM

The more new stuff that comes out the better. I for one am far more likely to make a trip to the store if there are a whole bunch of new releases coming out instead of just one thing I'm interested in. So there's a definite advantage in multiple releases. Also, a lot of studios might want to take advantage of the obvious hype around the Star Wars release by doing a little unofficial cross-promtion. If I'm one of the other studios, I might see it as an opportunity to showcase any in my catalogue titles that have related themes to Star Wars. What better day to release a Spaceballs, Troops, or Thumb Wars DVD for instance? Or other less well-known sci-fi action catalogue stuff that you want to generate some interest in. People who see something like that right next to Star Wars are likely to at least give it a look where they might otherwise have left it dwelling in relative obscurity.

marty888 09-15-04 09:31 PM

Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date?

Originally posted by scott1598
......this is the biggest thing since toasted bread

I mean I am sure there are decent releases, but who really is gonna notice this week?

I'm looking forward to this release as much as anybody, but thank heavens my vision is not limited to the world of George Lucas.

(Toasted bread ain't THAT big a deal.)

mike45 09-15-04 09:50 PM

I am buying the Star Wars Boxset.

But, I'm watching La Dolce Vita on Tuesday.

Sessa17 09-15-04 09:54 PM

Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the date?

Originally posted by scott1598
I mean wouldn't it make more sense to just do it a week later considering this is the biggest thing since toasted bread?

Ughhhhh.... I am going to notice. I may be the only person in the world that is INSANELY psyched for a box set that comes out on Tues, & it's NOT Star Wars, it's the John Cassavetes, & it saddens me that more people don't appreciate truly brilliant movies such as these. Plus & cannot wait for the final & best season of Mr. Show.

I could care less that Star Wars is coming on DVD, every person on earth who owns a DVD player will own it (besides me) so if I ever want to watch it I have countless people to borrow it from. I'm not knocking Star Wars, but true film fans hopefully know there are some other amazing & highly anticipated new releases coming out besides the most marketed one.

gutwrencher 09-15-04 09:55 PM

sorry...but just Star wars wont do it. I enjoy buying 7 to 10 and this coming week will be the same ole song and dance. I may only get 2 of the other new releases...but that fat import order I'm getting next Monday(7 titles)...blows away Darth.:D

ok...so maybe it is only SW that I'll be picking up at midnight and watching till the sun comes up.:lol:

Dabaomb 09-15-04 09:57 PM

The only big recent theatrical release is Mean Girls which has a different demographic than Star Wars (mostly females will be buying Mean Girls).

gutwrencher 09-15-04 09:57 PM

Re: Re: With "Star Wars" coming out on 9/21, why would anyone else release DVD's on the da

Originally posted by Sessa17
Ughhhhh.... I am going to notice. I may be the only person in the world that is INSANELY psyched for a box set that comes out on Tues, & it's NOT Star Wars, it's the John Cassavetes
yup...getting that box set too.:thumbsup:

jessebo 09-15-04 10:04 PM

why wouldn't they release other stuff. not everyone is going to buy this reedited crap..

Jackskeleton 09-15-04 10:11 PM

Originally posted by jessebo
why wouldn't they release other stuff. not everyone is going to buy this reedited crap..

I think the guy is confussing or thinking that studios choose release dates for videos like they do for theater releases. In the general idea, a theater release date changes or works around the competition. A studio may hold back a movie a week or two in order to secure the #1 spot that weekend. When it comes to home video though, They don't care about the competition because of the different mind set when buying a dvd then watching a film in the theater.

At the theater you have one choice for that night. two hours to spend and you need to pick one movie. at a store you are buying a film and can watch at any time. So people will be happy to buy more then one title on dvd. Studios don't fear big title release dates. they capitolize on it by counter programing or just figuring that people have enough cash.