DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Yeah Yeah Yeahs DVD Brings The 'Rock'

Old 09-13-04, 12:03 PM

from billboard.com

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs will release their first DVD, "Tell Me What Rockers To Swallow," Oct. 12 via Interscope. The disc captures 16 tracks from a recent show at the Fillmore in San Francisco, including the breakthrough single "Maps," which reached No. 9 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart.

Six bonus tracks enrich the main program, including "10X10," "Sealings" and "Tick." Also featured is a Japanese tour documentary directed by Patrick Daughters, an audience documentary directed by Spike Jonze and Lance Bangs and music videos for "Maps," "Date With the Night," "Pin" and "Y-Control" (unedited version by Jonze).

Rounding out the DVD is the trio's recent performance of "Maps" during the 2004 MTV Movie Awards.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs have three shows on tap this month, which are expected to be their last of the year. The group will play Sept. 19 in San Diego as part of radio station KZBT's Independence Jam, Sept. 21 in Mexico City and Sept. 25 at radio station KNDD's Endfest outside Seattle.

The group's 2003 Interscope debut, "Fever To Tell," peaked in April at No. 55 on The Billboard 200 and has sold more than 456,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In related news, rock act TV On The Radio covers the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Modern Romance" on its "New Health Rock" single, due Oct. 12 via Touch & Go.
Old 09-13-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cool...i have been a big fan for about 3 years now. never saw them live but my brother did back in the day and he said they rocked and i should check em out. i did...and they were good.
Old 09-13-04, 04:48 PM

Yeah, they are a good band. Should be a good DVD. Too bad the White Stripes Live show DVD was pushed back to Dec.
Old 09-13-04, 07:57 PM
Cool New Member

Great news! Prob'ly too much to ask for, but I'm hoping it's anamorphic picture & 5.1 sound (for the concert). Saw them about a year and a half ago in L.A., and they were incredible -- I've never seen an audience go so crazy over a band that wasn't local and didn't even have an album out yet.
Old 09-14-04, 09:46 AM

A year and a half ago? You sure? They had an album back then I believe.
Old 09-14-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

please tell me that they are at least better then the mtv awards performance. the singer's voice was way out of key, and they really didn't look like they wanted to be there.
Old 09-14-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
please tell me that they are at least better then the mtv awards performance. the singer's voice was way out of key, and they really didn't look like they wanted to be there.
They're new wave punk rockers from NYC. What did you expect? They made the most human music I heard at the entire MTV Music Awards, so more power to 'em.
Old 09-14-04, 03:06 PM

I don't know if I'd consider them rock.
Old 09-14-04, 03:17 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Masamune
A year and a half ago? You sure? They had an album back then I believe.
Nope. "Fever to Tell" came out April of 2003. When I saw them, a little before that, all they had out was the self-titled EP and the "Machine" single -- and they still managed to sell out a 1,000 capacity venue (granted, most of it was probably radio & press & record company weasels, but the rapturous reaction they got was unlike any I've ever seen for a new, non-local band).

If anyone hears specs for the audio and video on this DVD, post please!
Old 09-15-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by treszoks
I don't know if I'd consider them rock.
Depends how broad your definition of "rock" is.
Old 09-15-04, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I've seen them perform live on at least 5 different shows on tv and everytime they were nothing I would even recommend. I loved the album but I doubt I'll pick up this DVD.
Old 09-15-04, 05:34 PM

I saw them open for Devo this past summer. I thought they were incredible!
Old 10-20-04, 01:23 AM
Banned

Anyone buy this?

Like I already posted in the thread, all of their live performances I saw on TV they were mediocre at best. I want to pick this up but I'm hesitant, how is her singing live this time around?
Old 10-20-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Digital Groove
Anyone buy this?

Like I already posted in the thread, all of their live performances I saw on TV they were mediocre at best. I want to pick this up but I'm hesitant, how is her singing live this time around?
I picked this up yesterday but haven't had a chance to open it yet. Hopefully tonight I can skim through it.

It was marked as 12.99 at Best Buy but rang up as 9.99
Old 10-20-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fnordboy
I picked this up yesterday but haven't had a chance to open it yet. Hopefully tonight I can skim through it.

It was marked as 12.99 at Best Buy but rang up as 9.99
Heads up. BB has $2 off all music dvds this week. Picked up the Sonic Youth vid collection.

Back to your thread with my apologies for the hijack.
Old 10-20-04, 04:34 PM
Cool New Member

Great DVD. The Spike Jonze/Lance Bangs interviews with audience members are very entertaining. As for the concert itself, it's anamorphic, with a pretty decent 5.1 mix. Karen O screams and laughs and spits her way through a loud, sloppy set. Perfect. (Though if singing "on key" is important, this may not be for you.)