Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I am buying EVERY single Criterion from here on out

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I am buying EVERY single Criterion from here on out

Old 09-09-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started to collect them as well, not with the goal of having them all, but getting the most prestigious ones, like the OOPs, box sets, etc. I had quite a few of them, and decided that it was a waste of money, as I didn't watch them that often, and many of them had little or no replay value.

Based on some comments in this thread and others, don't be surprised if in the future you change your mind and decide to get rid of the Criterions that you have bought but are not watching, foregoing your dream of having them all.
Old 09-09-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Austin54
DVDPlanet is selling CC at 35% off. Eevn with the special sales at DDD, they can still be the cheapest.
The problem with CC is that many of the titles are so offbeat that they appeal only to a few movie watchers. Even I don't want all of them.
Austin

I think you need to change this part:

Even I don't want all of them.

The "I" should be in bold there for emphasis, like so:

"Even I don't want all of them."

...hehe
Old 09-09-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Umm... yeah. Right.

He has a point regarding the pretentiousness of Criterion 'collectors'. Alot just buy it for the name brand,and pretend to be 'hip' for owning such 'revered important works of art' because Criterion calls them that. Meanwhile they don't like half of what they release,but feel some insane need to 'have them all' for collectors sake. Have to be the biggest kid on the block afterall who has the 'whole' collection. Ha take that poor movie lover buying only movies you love and not owning a single Criterion!

Pretty much just as bad as snobby 'know it all' critics who can't seem to enjoy any films,since they view them all in the wrong mindset. Then attempt to 'prove' themselves of 'higher respect for film art' than everyone else by oogling over the art direction,the writing,the acting,ect..yet never ever truely becoming immersed in the film itself(suspension of disbelief is important to enjoying a film,so being aware of the art direction or thinking about other things as you view,takes you out of the film),thus giving plenty of films bad reviews besides a few pretentious works.

So yeah,it pretty much is a waste of time & money to buy movies you don't/won't like just because they are Criterion. Look at the prices they go for and ask your self "Do I really want this?".

The few Criterions I own,I bought because I liked the films,nothing more,nothing less. I want the Videodrome CC because I love the film. But I am broke at the moment and on alittle dvd boycott to save my cash for a couple months or so. So I'll just wait on that and get it when I can. If it goes OOP anytime soon,then I will pick it up immediately. But at the moment,my financial situation is more important than owning any Criterion.

Old 09-09-04, 12:28 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
Pretty much just as bad as snobby 'know it all' critics who can't seem to enjoy any films,since they view them all in the wrong mindset. Then attempt to 'prove' themselves of 'higher respect for film art' than everyone else by oogling over the art direction,the writing,the acting,ect..yet never ever truely becoming immersed in the film itself(suspension of disbelief is important to enjoying a film,so being aware of the art direction or thinking about other things as you view,takes you out of the film),thus giving plenty of films bad reviews besides a few pretentious works.
As an example can you name one well-known critic who does that?
Old 09-09-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At their prices, I would question why you would want to purchase some of the clunkers they have put out. There are other companies putting out high quality foreign and obscure films. Would it not be better to get what you will actually watch.
Old 09-09-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting replies so far. Well I have Videodrome so that's why I was starting after it. I have about 100 Criterions right now and honestly I've only disliked maybe 2 or 3 of the movies. Sure, there's about 150+ Criterions I haven't seen yet. But that's why we have the Criterion stinker thread. Its not actually that much money if you buy just the new releases take November Fanny & Alexander 5-disc Set; DVD Planet's price of $38.97 + Short Cuts $25.97 = $64.94. That's not too bad for the month. I just want to start keeping up with the new releases so when I get a new higher paying job (hopefully soon) I'll be able to go back and start getting ones I've missed.
Old 09-09-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,236 Likes on 823 Posts
I woudn't do it but some folks just like to "collect" stuff. If you have the money and it makes you happy, do it.
Old 09-09-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by eXcentris
If you have the money and it makes you happy, do it.
And that's all that really matters... Idn't it?
Old 09-09-04, 02:05 PM

I feel similar about Blue Underground....and own them all, except for dupes like the Cohen Collection. while I support BU....I still must have an active interest in each of the titles. it's easy with BU...because I adore obscure horror along with just plain good films, cheese and a pinch of crap. it does not have to be a great film for me to enjoy it. if it serves a purpose, then it needs to be in my library. I cant help it that BU hits the nail on the head almost everytime. just my luck, I guess.

now Criterion....no...no desire to own them all. many I love....many I dont.

hey, collect whatever you want but what everyone else thinks of it is meaningless. I gave up caring about what people thought of whatever I was buying, years ago. it's your personal stamp on your library.....so go for it and have fun.
Old 09-09-04, 02:24 PM

I'm being so obsessed by Criterion Collection myself. This superb DVD production company introduces me to lots of extraordinary movies back from the 40's, 50's to contemporary movies. I try to collect as many as I could.
Upcoming John Cassaveset's is a must.
Old 09-09-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think you ought to consider what a couple of these guys have brought up: That somewhere down the line the current Criterions will be left in the dust by Blu-Ray or some other format. Then where will you be? You'll have this huge Criterion set that you paid a fortune for that you can't even resell for 1/4 of the original price. And what about some of those elusive OOP ones? I hope you already own all of them, because if not, you're going to have to shell out some serious dough. You'd be looking at $1000 right there...maybe more. And after you pay $300+ for Salo some company will wind up releasing a new special edition version and the value of the Criterion will plumit to half that at least. Anyway you cut it you're looking at a small fortune and a continual commitment picking up all the new ones that come out. And sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but not all Criterions are actually worth owning. There are definitely some stinkers in there. Close your eyes and try to picture yourself doing this a few years back with all the Criterion laserdiscs, spending a couple grand in the process, and waking up today and looking at the end product: something you probably don't even care about anymore in 2004 and which was a terrible investment of your cash. Just buy what you like and stop the madness.
Old 09-09-04, 02:33 PM
Returning banned

Although Criterion has the best looking DVD covers, I don't think it would be worth for me to buy the whole collection. For the price of one Criterion, you could get two, even maybe three DVDs.
Old 09-09-04, 02:56 PM

One positive about the CC is that it has introduced to some films that I wouldn't have thought or heard about to watch. If people enjoy collecting, then by all means let them. We don't criticize (or maybe some do) baseball card collectors who like complete sets and have to get that '86 Luis Aguayo card....(a crappy Phillies player from the '80s).
Old 09-09-04, 04:08 PM

You must have wanted opinions so......

At Criterion prices, I have a hard time even buying the titles that I want!

I pick up plenty of Criterion titles at the Library and find that they release a lot of stuff that is just not that good. They release the best of what they can get their hands on and try to add value to it by the (often very good) way that they produce their releases.

I also find "completist" collecting to be a trap that has never been rewarding in the long run. I don't get much joy from collections now that I am done with the quest of finding them all. Time is better spent finding the best of things.

Still…. “Have a great time. All the time”.
Old 09-09-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love people who collect EVERY Criterion because down the line, they often end up selling most of them and I reap the benefits. Got some of my best deals that way... so thanks in advance!

GO COLLECTORS!
Old 09-09-04, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by dhs122
We don't criticize (or maybe some do) baseball card collectors who like complete sets and have to get that '86 Luis Aguayo card....(a crappy Phillies player from the '80s).
Yes, but the Topps Corporation doesn't incur the same wrath that the Criterion Collection seems to generate around here.

But, I agree with one statement above: why solicit opinions? The responses are so predictable. A few will tell you to go for it; a lot will tell you you're a fool; and some will post just because they can't resist an opportunity to bash Criterion.

Live & let live, folks.
Old 09-09-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty dumb idea, IMHO. Its your money though so I really don't care
Old 09-09-04, 04:49 PM

It's called collecting. You collect what means something to you. I personally won't do that though if I have to choose between a new luxury sedan and a complete Criterion collection, I'll pick the latter. Yeah, I know I can just sell the car and buy the collection, but I'm speaking in terms of desireability.

Most people I know collects movies, not DVDs, though 99%-100% of their movies are on DVDs. Those who collect because of the dvd packaging tends to sell their dvds or give them as gifts once they figured out its just sitting there collecting dust. They can sell it and use the money to be a movie they really wants. I love Videodrome packaging, but I can't stand the movie - I tried hard, but it pales in comparison to eXistenZ - so I can't justify buying it.

Also, I don't think HD-DVDs are going to make DVDs as obsolete as LDs. After all, how much better the PQ on Ikiru can be? and how much more extras can be unearthed about the movie?
Old 09-09-04, 04:57 PM

Criterion released some great LDs that didn't carry over to dvd. Who knows if they're going to release all of these on blu ray? They lost the licenses to several already.

If you have the money and want to, do it.
Old 09-09-04, 05:08 PM

If one is really curious about every Criterion movie, I think the best plan would be to NetFlix all of them and then decide to buy only the ones you really like with high replayability. Your pocketbook would thank you. Besides, from a collector perspective, I think your collection would be more impressive if you only owned select Criterion titles as opposed to blindly buying all of them. It would have more personality anyway and better reflect your true interests and taste.
Old 09-09-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts
I have no desire at all to own every Criterion. They are certainly not the be all, end all. There are many films in the collection that I have no interest in, their disc transfers are not always the best version available on DVD, some of their covers are quite ugly, and some have no extras whatsoever. Of course, some of their discs are outstanding presentations, and those are the ones I buy (as long as I have an interest in the film), but I think that buying them all just to have them is a waste of money. But, I wouldn't tell someone else what not to collect or how to spend their money.
Old 09-09-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe they should number EVERY movie released on DVD - then some people would have to buy them ALL!
Old 09-09-04, 05:45 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Re: I am buying EVERY single Criterion from here on out

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Ok, I'll probably get flamed for this but its ok I'm ready for it. I plan on buying every Criterion that's released after Videodrome. I do hope someday that I will own the entire collection and this is really the best way to start. I know what you're saying 'just buy what you like' Yes, yes I think I've reached that point already. I already own 500 other non-Criterion movies aside from a few releases here and there I pretty much own everything I've already seen that I want to own. I want to own the complete criterion collection. I know pretty much no one else has this ridiculous goal or is willing to admit it but I am. What's your opinion? Nuts?
If you're financially secure, its probably more dignified than collecting Disney DVDs, or Superbits. Besides, the whole collection (sans expensive OOP discs) probably costs only slightly more than some televisions.

I'm going to start being more careful with my Criterion purchases. Alot of the barebone releases haven't been worth it.

Last edited by Der Zorn Gottes; 09-09-04 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-09-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Most of the films Criterion releases on dvd are good to great.

But they are so diverse that there is no fucking way that one person could possibly like all of them - even the person with the most eclectic taste in the world would maybe be into 60% of the collection, tops.

Collecting all of them and expecting to like all of them, or even most of them, is as silly as collecting every single Warner Bros. dvd, for example, and expecting to like all of them.

Last edited by slop101; 09-09-04 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-09-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the desire to see all of the Criterion DVD's, but I don't need to own them all. My blockbuster has a few (Unbearable Lightness of Being and Last Temptation of Christ come to mind...) and I own around 18 right now. Netflix will be my source.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.