DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ultimate Toy Box owners please help!

Old 09-08-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ultimate Toy Box owners please help!

I recently acquired a copy of Toy Story (from the UTB) at a Gamestop. Though it plays fine and looks like a genuine copy, I have run into a couple minor glitches and would like to know if I am the only one. I don't see this disc in the defective disc thread.

When I put it in my home player, the subtitles come on the first time I use the chapter skip button (only the first time). In my dvd-rom, they come on when the disc first starts playing.

Also, on my home player when I hit the audio button, there are no labels, just "---" next to the audio selections. Same in the subtitles menu.

Could someone with this disc please let me know if they have or have heard of similar problems?

For the record, my home player is a Toshiba SD-K700 pro scan (almost 3 yrs old) and my laptop is a 1 1/2 year old HP.

Last edited by NCYankee; 09-09-04 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-08-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just check mine on my Panasonic S25, and I don't have the subtitle problem. However, I don't get the audio lables either.

I have a Sony 7700 that tends to have trouble with a lot of Buena Vista disks, but I don't recall a problem with Toy Story on that player. I'll check it out again after my kids finish watching it in about 90 minutes.
Old 09-08-04, 02:30 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm playing mine on a Toshiba SD 2200. No problems here. Although this is the last Toshiba DVD player I'm buying.
Old 09-08-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the help - I feel a little better knowing I am not the only one with no audio labels.
Old 09-09-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bump - anyone else have anything to report?
Old 09-09-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Checked it on my Sony player. Again, no problem with subs, but the audio option is disabled during playback.
Old 09-09-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problems with any of the discs playing in any of my players: Toshiba (I think it's the same proscan model as yours. I got it at Costco 2-3 years ago.), Panny A112, Daewoo something or other, nor in my Dell DVD ROM players.
Old 09-09-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine's still sealed...for obvious reasons...

Old 09-09-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by garolo
No problems with any of the discs playing in any of my players: Toshiba (I think it's the same proscan model as yours. I got it at Costco 2-3 years ago.), Panny A112, Daewoo something or other, nor in my Dell DVD ROM players.
Hmmm - well, thanks for the effort in checking it.

Does the subtitle problem sound like a typical problem with bootlegs or imported copies? If it's a bootleg, they did a great job, the picture and audio quality are excellent, and the artwork on the disc looks original. It has all the features it is supposed to have and no extra Asian subtitles.

Last edited by NCYankee; 09-09-04 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-09-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino

Because you don't like the movie?

Old 09-09-04, 10:42 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

In general, keeping sealed copies of something always seemed silly to me, but especially so with DVDs. Everyone knows they will be obsolete eventually, so treating them like an investment makes absolutely no sense. Would you pay a lot for a sealed 8-track? I don't think so.

The value of having the Ultimate Toy Box and other very nice sets that are no longer on the market is that you can enjoy them while others have to go without or pay exorbitant prices on eBay. Once DVD is obsolete, they'll lose value, not gain it. And once the films are rereleased on a new format, they'll be pretty much worthless. Leaving them sitting on the shelf in plastic now defeats the purpose of owning them in first place. It's not a Tiffany lamp, for Pete's sake.
Old 09-09-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino

Mine's not sealed...for obvious reasons...

Old 09-09-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NCYankee
Hmmm - well, thanks for the effort in checking it.

Does the subtitle problem sound like a typical problem with bootlegs or imported copies? If it's a bootleg, they did a great job, the picture and audio quality are excellent, and the artwork on the disc looks original. It has all the features it is supposed to have and no extra Asian subtitles.
It could simply be a software incompatibility, which could mean you're screwed. My player is 3-4 years old and I can think of only one glitch on my Tron disc but that's about it.
Old 09-09-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jarofclay73
It could simply be a software incompatibility, which could mean you're screwed.
Except that Garolo has the same model as mine and has no problem - in an event, it's not that big a deal because once I turn them off it plays perfectly. I am more concerned about being sure I have an original disc than the problem itself.
Old 09-09-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MEJHarrison
Mine's not sealed...for obvious reasons...

It's an investment, like collecting Desert Storm trading cards.

(hope someone gets that one...)