Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Robotech Remastered - Extended Editions (Discussion)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-04-04, 02:39 AM

I own the first two volumes of this excellent set. I'm a recent Robotech fan, and never owned the previous releases. Are the Remastered versions a significant step up? Also, how many volumes will this set contain?
Old 09-04-04, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

... AND will there be Box Sets for each of Macross, Southern Cross and Masters like they did with the Originals?

I am currently holding out (because I paid too much for a couple of the original boxes, after which cheap Box Sets for each of the "Seasons" was released), but would be tempted if I could get them really cheap.
Old 09-04-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are several older threads discussing all of this. I'd set your search back further than the default month though.

To give a few brief answers - many like the video better, but not the sound. There should be seven volumes - 3 for the first, and two each for the others.
Old 09-04-04, 10:00 AM

I didn't have any of the previous Robotech releases. Probably came out before I had a DVD player.

I stumbled on the remastered sets in the stores. Got each of the three Macross Saga volumes for $18 each. Felt like a really good buy to me. I was very pleased by them. It was great to watch this show again - I hadn't seen it since I was a kid.
Old 09-04-04, 12:03 PM
Dai

There's currently a problem with one of the sets, not sure which one it is (3 or 4) but there is (was) a huge discussion over at robotech.com about it...
Old 09-06-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in Fry's earlier, and just browsing the anime section I came across some "ani-mini's" which are three inch DVDs with just one episode on them. They had them for a few different series (from ADV) including the first four Robotech Remastered episodes. Does anyone have any more info on these, like if they're going to do the whole series?
Old 09-06-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holiday crowd seems to be back...
Old 09-07-04, 04:22 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by milo bloom
I was in Fry's earlier, and just browsing the anime section I came across some "ani-mini's" which are three inch DVDs with just one episode on them. They had them for a few different series (from ADV) including the first four Robotech Remastered episodes. Does anyone have any more info on these, like if they're going to do the whole series?
http://www.advfilms.com/Press/2004Ju...Collection.asp

Extract:
AniMinis are the coolest bite-sized DVDs for a new generation of hip kids. From your pocket to your player – these colorful miniature 3-inch DVDs are all the rage because they’re easy to collect and trade! This new line is affordably priced at SRP $6.98, and each disc contains a complete episode of the series.

The mini DVDs double as coupons and are redeemable for $10 off a regular full-size multi-episode DVD title of the same name when purchased through the ADV Films website.

The $10 off is only good at the ADV website, that means $10 off the full retail price. Not much of a deal IMO.
Old 09-07-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw their website but I was still wondering if the whole Robotech Remastered series was going to be released on them.

I bought the first seven boxsets for my wife over the past couple of years, and we've been waffling on the double dip. When we saw these in Fry's the other day, we had found our answer. We both like to collect extras and such for our videogames and DVDs, and we thought an entire collection of these would be really cool.

Though after getting him and reading the official website, I'm a little worried that they're just samplers.
Old 09-11-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new remasters IMO are much better than the previous releases. The picture is a huge step up and the sound was noticabley better. The little tidbits of extended carnage are very interesting.

Only difference, is I like the extras on the original set.
Old 09-11-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I sold my old sets and have bought all 5 of the remasters. They look and sound better. The only "extra" disc I kept was Robotech II: The Sentinels because it's unique. Remember, the box sets are just the individual discs numbered 1 thru 14 with the bonus disc, hence the UPC on the box. None of the bonus discs have UPCs.

You can also rip the extras discs and back them up if you sell them.
Old 09-11-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by RockyMtnBri
I sold my old sets and have bought all 5 of the remasters. They look and sound better. The only "extra" disc I kept was Robotech II: The Sentinels because it's unique. Remember, the box sets are just the individual discs numbered 1 thru 14 with the bonus disc, hence the UPC on the box. None of the bonus discs have UPCs.

You can also rip the extras discs and back them up if you sell them.
You could also go into a store and slip the extra discs up your coat and walk out without paying because that is stealing too.