Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best Version of Battle Royal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Version of Battle Royal?

OK, i need to see Battle Royal, but know what which is the best version to get. I do not have a multi-region DVD player yet... Any pics, links, ect.... of the version to get?
Old 09-02-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got the (old?) Tartan R0/NTSC disc with the original cut. I also had a (HK?) "DTS version" with the extended cut, but I thought the additions (and alt. ending) detracted substantially from the film's impact. You know how people complain about Lucas' tampering? I found this to be much worse.

So, I'd recommend the original cut of the film, but I'm not sure if my Tartan disc is still the best quality DVD of that version. I'd like to know if anyone could advise!
Old 09-02-04, 08:05 AM

These might assist you:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcom...eroyale-th.htm

http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/mod...rder=0&thold=0

I personally own the Starmax Directors Cut. The film has always been a little soft in color, so in my opinion the transfer looks really nice. The Tartan is also very nice, but I believe it cost a little bit more. Hope the links help you out.

PS: First time posting, so if linking to other sites is not allowed I apologize.
Old 09-02-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are so many releases of this and a thread search may help you out more, but I've found that while the Director's Cut adds more violence (some digitally added) I also found the dramatic insertions detracting as well. They had a different look/feel to them and would just grind the movie to a halt. I have the original cut from R3 that is non-anamorphic with DTS. I got the R0 Director's Cut SE from DVD Asian which is anamorhic and DTS, but the extras on disc 2 aren't subtitled.
Old 09-02-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With that DVD from DVD Asian, is there a way to see the Theatrical edition instead of the Dir Cut? I havent seen the movie, and want to see both
Old 09-02-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1550
Old 09-02-04, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by REL77
With that DVD from DVD Asian, is there a way to see the Theatrical edition instead of the Dir Cut? I havent seen the movie, and want to see both
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=688

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=610

Xploited Cinema has those two in stock. They are a great site to buy from. Tony is awesome.

Last edited by SuperNova; 09-02-04 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-02-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by REL77
The disc only has the Director's Cut which is why I kept both versions. I don't think there is a disc that has both cuts on it.
Old 09-02-04, 09:31 AM

I bought the Tartan Region 0 NTSC Original Version. It's playable on any player and apparently has the best video quality and subtitles of any of the releases. I was extremely happy with it. It doesn't have any extras, but I just couldn't see shelling out $30 or so for a disc that had motion artifacts or bad subtitles.

Check out this site for great comparisons of the Battle Royale versions:
http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/video/index.html

There's one error on the site though: It says that the Region 0 NTSC disc is out of print, but I bought it directly from Tartanvideo.com a few months ago (Had to wait a few weeks to get the disc, but it did arrive with no problems).

Enjoy the carnage.
Old 09-02-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
amazon.co.uk had it for about 29 so, if you want it cheaper, go ahead and use them.
Old 09-02-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, are there two versions of the original cut? The Tartan R0/NTSC and a R3 version with DTS? Is there a preferred disc between these two, or any other original cut discs?

The Starmax is the the extended cut/director's cut version that I referred to above. Good quality except for the annoying subtitle font (looked like it was constantly "bolded"), but my reaction to this cut was just like matome's... that is, very negative. I can understand the desire to see it, but IMO it's a much lesser movie. I traded it long ago and kept the Tartan original cut.
Old 09-02-04, 05:04 PM

I bought the Tartan Region 0 NTSC Original Version. It's playable on any player and apparently has the best video quality and subtitles of any of the releases.
What he said. Get it fmom Amazon UK, quickly. It is supposed to be OOP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...378340-0216622
Old 09-11-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bumping this, to see if anyone knows anything of the Battle Royale box set floating on eBay?

It comes ina nice little box and has 1 and 2 together plus some odds/ends
This is one of the auctions for it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...322857735&rd=1

I want to buy a version of this...how is this? Is it worth the money?
Old 09-11-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

10 bucks says its a boot. the cover for the first movie gives it away.
Old 09-11-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a bootleg. The first one seems to be a bootleg of the Korean Battle Royale: Special Version and the second one seems to be a bootleg of the Hong Kong Battle Royale II. A nice looking bootleg, but a bootleg nevertheless.
Old 09-11-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I've been putting this off long enough, so I just ordered the Region 0 NTSC Tartan Original Version from Exploited--from reading a ton of these threads it seems like most people prefer the non-extended cut.
Old 09-11-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

great job, if you can handle the violence, you'll love it. also, its very loud as well.
Old 09-11-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from reading a ton of these threads it seems like most people prefer the non-extended cut.
The theatrical cut is the best version of the film bar none. The only additional extras in the Special Version that I like are the updated CGI (the more blood and how it fixes some of the film's technical errors). Now if they were just to add the additional CGI to the theatrical cut, then I'd buy that version too.
Old 09-11-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Thunderball
Bumping this, to see if anyone knows anything of the Battle Royale box set floating on eBay?

It comes ina nice little box and has 1 and 2 together plus some odds/ends
This is one of the auctions for it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...322857735&rd=1

I want to buy a version of this...how is this? Is it worth the money?
I have the two disc DC of Battle Royale, and it has that cover, however the discs look different.

The cover in DVDProfiler is different, but thats the one it pulled up by disc ID. Now I'm wondering if it is a bootleg.

I watched the film after hearing about it for a while, and watching Kill Bill. I think the violence is over the top, the movie is good, I like it because of its rather wild (atleast in my opinion) plot.

Last edited by JoeyOhhhh; 09-11-04 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-12-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the advice on the boxset.

I went with the 2 disc Tartan release instead.
Old 09-12-04, 09:21 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by mrchrispy
I bought the Tartan Region 0 NTSC Original Version. It's playable on any player and apparently has the best video quality and subtitles of any of the releases. I was extremely happy with it. It doesn't have any extras, but I just couldn't see shelling out $30 or so for a disc that had motion artifacts or bad subtitles.
I realize Thunderball's got a copy now, but I'll second this version. Especially for anamorphic TVs.
Old 09-12-04, 07:06 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Skyler
What he said. Get it fmom Amazon UK, quickly. It is supposed to be OOP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...378340-0216622
It (the Tartan Region 0 NTSC Original Version) might be OOP but it is also still available from Play (UK) for a lower price and free shipping (worldwide)...it will set you back £14.99 (about US$ 26.80)

I ordered my copy about 10 minutes ago

I sometimes curse myself for my habit to get the best available versions of any good movie...i can get a decent looking Dutch version for about $5.00

....oh well....
Old 09-12-04, 10:22 PM
Banned

How much do the Tartan 2 Disk SE in tin with film cell and all that go for? I traded some dude for it over seas but it seems like he's jacking me because I haven't received it and it's been 3 weeks. Got a bunch of criterions from me too. So how much does this puppy go for? Thanks!
Old 09-13-04, 05:10 AM
Cool New Member

I have seen copies of that tin in a wide pricerange between ± US$50 and US$120....depending on the condition and the greed of the seller....

Be aware that it will be a PAL-version with the before mentioned flaws...But still it is a very nice edition to own
Old 10-06-04, 03:31 AM

I've got a question for anyone who's seen the R0 Tartan PAL Director's Cut... According to this page, http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/video/tartansv2.html, the DVD suffers from some bad ghosting effects due to a bad NTSC->PAL conversion. That site has the only review I've ever seen that mentions ghosting problems, so is it true for all copies? I own a region free progressive scan player that converts PAL to NTSC, so would this eliminate any ghosting issues or would I still notice it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.