Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Passion of Christ does 4.1 million copies in sales in one day.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131074,00.html

[size=large]4.1 Million 'Passion' DVDs Sold in One Day[/size]

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

LOS ANGELES — The second coming of Mel Gibson's (search) biblical epic "The Passion of the Christ" (search) sold 4.1 million DVD copies by Wednesday after only one day in stores.

While the figure from distributor Fox Home Entertainment is high, it's not quite a record breaker.

"Finding Nemo" (search) holds the No. 1 overall spot for one-day DVD sales with about 8 million. For a live-action movie, "Spider-Man" holds the one-day record with 7 million.

Although "The Passion" fell short of that, Fox Home Entertainment said it did inaugurate several secondary industry records.

In terms of one-day sales, Fox is describing the movie as the best-selling R-rated film of all time and best-selling non-English language film of all time. Most DVD sales trackers, however, only divide rankings between animation and live-action.

"The Passion," starring Jim Caviezel (search) as Jesus, earned more than $370 million at the North American box office, making it the year's second-most popular movie behind "Shrek 2," which earned $436.7 million.

Gibson's film was also one of the most controversial movies in years. Besides its violent depiction of the crucifixion, some Jewish organizations complained it might spark a rise in anti-Semitism by blaming ancient Jewish people for killing Christ.

"The Passion" DVD is on track to sell as well as Hollywood blockbusters such as "Spider-Man" and "The Lord of the Rings" movies, which topped out between 15 million and 18 million total disc sales, said Scott Hettrick, editor in chief of DVD Exclusive magazine.

Churches and religious groups were active in trying to promote the movie to their congregations, sometimes buying huge blocks of theater tickets for sale to parishioners. Many DVDs were paid for well in advance and picked up Tuesday.

Filmed in Aramaic and Latin, the movie was sold with English subtitles on VHS for $24.98, and English and Spanish subtitles on DVD for $29.98. Many retailers are cutting the price to $15 to $20, Hettrick said.

Since the "Passion" that went on sale Tuesday includes only the movie — no bonus features or documentaries that are common on most discs — a more fully loaded version of the DVD is likely in the future.
Old 09-01-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how many times it'll be rewatched.
Old 09-01-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
As many times as the Bible has been re-written.

(runs out of thread)
Old 09-01-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DVD Polizei
As many times as the Bible has been re-written.

(runs out of thread)

aslong as it still says that slavary is all good, then it hasn't been ruined.

As for sales. It doesn't take a smart person to tell you or predict that it was going to kick major ass in sales. The studio store was moving a lot of them from what the fella behind the counter was telling me. Most folks were buying it with a copy of Girl Next Door Unrated.

Good thing Fox picked it up cause it will make a nice amount of change for that distribution of the bible on dvd
Old 09-01-04, 11:24 PM

the best-selling R-rated film of all time
Fox must be lying...I'm pretty sure The Matrix sold way more than 4 million copies...I'm also pretty sure Gladiator has sold more than 4. Both The Matrix and Gladiator are R-rated.
Old 09-01-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mikeporter
the best-selling R-rated film of all time
Fox must be lying...I'm pretty sure The Matrix sold way more than 4 million copies...I'm also pretty sure Gladiator has sold more than 4. Both The Matrix and Gladiator are R-rated.
They are refering to first day sales.
Old 09-01-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have the censored subs been included?
Old 09-01-04, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Class316
Have the censored subs been included?
Old 09-01-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
In terms of one-day sales, Fox is describing the movie as the best-selling R-rated film of all time
How ironic, when you consider that one of the primary markets for this movie is the people who constantly bitch and moan about R-rated "filth."
Old 09-01-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
How ironic, when you consider that one of the primary markets for this movie is the people who constantly bitch and moan about R-rated "filth."
Yes I agree. Hopefully it's caused some to rethink their position a bit. Gee... maybe not all R's are bad?
Old 09-02-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
4.1 million is impressive, but I shudder at the thought of all the children that will be allowed to watch this film by the same parents that probably wouldn't let them watch a violent movie like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre a much less violent film.

I know, everyone can do what they want with their own children. However, this movie made me look away multiple times and I'm 32 and have seen real death with my own eyes. I can't even imagine subjecting my 10 year old to it, but I know tons of people that are planning on watching it with their kids.
Old 09-02-04, 12:38 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yeah, that was exactly my though. I think this has to be one of the most violent movies i have seen. I won't buy the DVD coz its a movie i never want to watch again.
Old 09-02-04, 12:40 AM

Hopefully it's caused some to rethink their position a bit.
Now that's funny.

And naive.
Old 09-02-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Artman
Yes I agree. Hopefully it's caused some to rethink their position a bit. Gee... maybe not all R's are bad?
I'm sure the part of the 4.1 million that were fundamentalist Christians will be quick to rethink their ideals. Those guys are real flexible. Actually, I'm sure many of them secretly have the Showgirls boxset as well, but they will never admit to it.
Old 09-02-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I will just wait for the SE

Also yes I think it is fucked up that some overzealous people would subject young(by young,I mean 10 and under) kids to the film since it is 'important' blah blah blah.

I can just imagine my relatives,who thought The Lion King & Aladdin were 'too scary and sexually suggestive' for us measly kids to be viewing & thus fast forward 90% of the films: sitting down thier young kids,and all the relatives to watch in awe this film without a worry over the content. Hypocrisy at it's finest
Old 09-02-04, 01:43 AM

I think no SE will be in the works. Gibson just wanted to make the movie and put it out.
Old 09-02-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
But since this is such a huge cash cow I'm sure Fox and new market would love to do something. What better way to relive the faith and last hours of christ by seeing the making of, the behind the scenes and of course.. the deleted scenes.
Old 09-02-04, 01:59 AM

nah..ill just wait to maybe catch it on hbo or something..this is the type of movie that i will watch again once every few years
Old 09-02-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This doesn't mean the DVD is a hit, it's only the first day. First day sales do not mean anything Let's wait until next month to see if it is really a hit.
Old 09-02-04, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by matrixrok9
This doesn't mean the DVD is a hit, it's only the first day. First day sales do not mean anything Let's wait until next month to see if it is really a hit.

Ha ha ha, I can tell you that this will peak in sales come christmas and easter for those who haven't recieved it yet.

It's a hit and this is coming from someone who disliked the movie
Old 09-02-04, 03:34 AM

I think I will just wait for the SE
Eh! I'm waiting for the sequel.

I mean...this one did so well. I'm sure there'll be another one.

Old 09-02-04, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by G-Rex

The Passion 2: Electric Boogaloo
Old 09-02-04, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by G-Rex

I think Gibson already produced the sequel.

In it Jesus finally returns to Earth, but is constantly hounded by the Paparazzi.

I think that's it, I'm pretty high right now.
Old 09-02-04, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes because after all the R rating that was given for this film is oh so indicative of the R rating that is usually given for the other films you are talking about... Even when the R rating is just for violence the context is so different that I'm sure most of them will make a distinction.

Last edited by nemein; 09-02-04 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-02-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Holy Christ!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.