Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Passion of Christ does 4.1 million copies in sales in one day.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Passion of Christ does 4.1 million copies in sales in one day.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by zombiezilla
Actually, I'm offended that you pray at all.

We're in the 21st century now, people, try to join the rest of us. Science is the one true God. Worship the science (and respect it, too) or be left in the dust.
Stop with your science and all of its mountains of research, tests and facts.

We have this one poorly translated book that has been edited in ways we will never know and it says you are wrong so there.

On the topic if there still is one. I agree many of the millions that bought this did so on the hype. It will be a bargain title at some point. However, this is a film many people will bring out and watch at least once a year and its not a film that will ever just go away.

Like the film or not its an important piece of cinema.

Last edited by darkside; 09-04-04 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-04-04, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jergen
I wonder if people will come to regret buying this movie since this isn't the type of movie you will watch over and over. I bet we will see a bunch of used copies for sale at Blockbuster and Hollywood Video in a few months after the hype dies down.
doubtful, the jesus freaks will revel in their clever idea of having a christmas time "passion" viewing each year and snuggle aroung the campfire until the passion 2: the resurection comes out next easter...
Old 09-04-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it's pretty clear you may see a lot of them in used stores simply because a lot of them were sold. so it would automaticlly increase those odds. any mainstream release that is purchased a lot gets a higher risk of being sold off.

But I do believe that it isn't out of regret or anything like that. I do think they will have it as a special event viewing during those religious holidays.
Old 09-04-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally posted by MorE808
doubtful, the jesus freaks will revel in their clever idea of having a christmas time "passion" viewing each year and snuggle aroung the campfire until the passion 2: the resurection comes out next easter...
I was thinking around Easter would be a better time to hold the event.

I'll let ya know the when/where as soon as I get the details ironed-out!
Old 09-04-04, 04:07 PM
Suspended

So I wonder how the Star Wars set will stack up in one day sales vs this movie? Christ might be big, but Star Wars is bigger still.

The only thing I can see hurting sales is that 4 discs in one set = 40-50 bucks. Passion runs what - 20 bucks? Perhaps 15 on sale at the right places? 20 bucks is easy to drop on an impulse item, where 50 is not.
Old 09-04-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good to hear that the disc is selling well.
Old 09-04-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Well, as anyone knows, you MUST have a trilogy in order to be ground-breaking. So, we have two more PASSIONS to go people.

Suck it up Satan!
Old 09-04-04, 06:44 PM

if it wasnt for all the hype and controversy and blah blah..this movie would have probably been lost to obscurity
Old 09-05-04, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
So I wonder how the Star Wars set will stack up in one day sales vs this movie? Christ might be big, but Star Wars is bigger still.

The only thing I can see hurting sales is that 4 discs in one set = 40-50 bucks. Passion runs what - 20 bucks? Perhaps 15 on sale at the right places? 20 bucks is easy to drop on an impulse item, where 50 is not.
so that would be,

1,star wars
2,the beatles
3,christ

or

1,the beatles
2,star wars
3,christ

??
Old 09-05-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Hey, John Lennon said it, not me.

"More Popular than Jesus"
-John Lennon(March 4, 1966)
Old 09-05-04, 09:09 AM
Returning banned

Originally posted by darkside
Like the film or not its an important piece of cinema.
Only time will tell if it becomes an "important piece of cinema." Yes, it's a financially successful film, but it's still questionable if it will become an influential film. Will it influence current and future filmmakers? Will it be studied and admired in film schools the way The Passion of Joan of Arc is?
Old 09-05-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by MorE808
I would think a resurrection movie would be much more spiritually uplifting and satisfying than watching him get the stuffing knocked out of him for two hours.
Old 09-05-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jason
I would think a resurrection movie would be much more spiritually uplifting and satisfying than watching him get the stuffing knocked out of him for two hours.
I have never understood the passion play either, but reliving Jesus getting his ass kicked is a long time tradition. It has always seemed to me to just bring out more anger and sadness in people than emotions Jesus would have wanted. You know, that whole love and care about the less fortunate nonsense that JC was into. Of course that is assuming the guy in the bible even exhisted which I don't.

I totaly agree a movie about his life or resurrection would be my choice for an annual Jesus movie. Actually my choice would be MST3K Turkey Day marathon. I really miss those.
Old 09-05-04, 04:10 PM
Banned

Sorry about starting that other thread!

Originally posted by darkside
I totaly agree a movie about his life or resurrection would be my choice for an annual Jesus movie.
I agree. The Passion of The Christ is good for showing how much Jesus suffered for our our sins, but there's also a fair amount of scripture about the resurrection.

First, there's the discovery that Jesus' tomb was opened sometime after he was placed in it, and Mary Magdalen later meeting Him and being warned by Jesus not to touch Him:
    And then there's His commandment to His disciples to carry on.

The Passion ended appropriately, but The Jesus Film has a touching resurrection scene.
    Old 09-05-04, 05:56 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
    Originally posted by Jason
    I agree. That is why I suggested alternative films that DO have replay value and show the "bigger picture".
    Old 09-06-04, 12:51 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
    Originally posted by El-Kabong

Star Wars bigger than Christ?

The Passion is a movie about Christ. It's not Christ himself. Look at how many copies of the Bible are sold. It's the #1 selling book of all time and by a landslide.

Not all Christians will own The Passion but all Christians own a Bible (granted some ppl in third world countries don't own a Bible cuz of availability and financial reasons).

Star Wars is gonna be huge but cuz it's a boxset, that will definitely hurt the sales a bit.
    Old 09-06-04, 01:39 AM
    DVD Talk Godfather

five bucks says that some crappy little film beats this 4.1 million mark in the next 4 months.

I would think that another "lord" will match or beat the number.

these one day sales records get broken all the time.
    Old 09-06-04, 02:53 AM
    DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
    The Passion of Allah...1.5 Billion DVDs sold the first day of release. Why? Because you're forced to buy it or have your head cut off.
    Old 09-06-04, 03:40 AM
    Banned

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
    The Passion of Allah...1.5 Billion DVDs sold the first day of release. Why? Because you're forced to buy it or have your head cut off.
    Don't you know it's the religion of peace?
    Old 09-06-04, 08:28 AM
    DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey Cinci guy, you did know that Jesus is probably in the top 5 of the muslim pantheon, right? Ohh the irony of ignorance.
    Old 09-06-04, 09:06 AM
    Suspended

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
    Hey Cinci guy, you did know that Jesus is probably in the top 5 of the muslim pantheon, right? Ohh the irony of ignorance.
    Exactly and that is why the Jew-hating radical Saudis are going to buy the "Passion" in droves, therefore making Mel a billionnaire.
    Old 09-06-04, 01:04 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Ohh the irony of ignorance.
    Speaking of Muslims.
    Old 09-06-04, 01:13 PM
    Banned

Of course I know Muslims regard Jesus (al-Masih 'Isa ibn Maryam) as a prophet.
    Old 09-06-04, 04:01 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Originally posted by Jackskeleton
    five bucks says that some crappy little film beats this 4.1 million mark in the next 4 months.

I would think that another "lord" will match or beat the number.

these one day sales records get broken all the time.
    This isn't biggest release ever, only the biggest R-rated release ever. It'll probably get broken eventually, but I don't see much coming out in the next 4 months that would do it. Troy probably has the best chance of anything I can think of, but I don't really see it doing those kind of numbers.
    Old 09-06-04, 04:46 PM
    Banned

Records are alright, but look at the effects this glorious film has had on people.

To me, that's more important than records.