Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Passion of Christ does 4.1 million copies in sales in one day.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Passion of Christ does 4.1 million copies in sales in one day.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is going to be huge. I mean they are selling bundle packs to churches. I don't know how well that will work, but it should help.
Old 09-02-04, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by darkside
4.1 million is impressive, but I shudder at the thought of all the children that will be allowed to watch this film by the same parents that probably wouldn't let them watch a violent movie like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre a much less violent film.
You have it all wrong.

It's all about restricting what others can watch. They will continue to do anything they want.
Old 09-02-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So no one knows if the subs are 100% uncensored?
Old 09-02-04, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I wonder how many times it'll be rewatched.
probably once a year when easter comes around...I tend to do that with my ID4 dvd once a year every 4th of july
Old 09-02-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
The ignorance in this thread is abysmal.
Old 09-02-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It's a hit and this is coming from someone who disliked the movie
For someone who disliked the movie you sure have made a point to post in every single thread about it.
Old 09-02-04, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Minor Threat
The ignorance in this thread is abysmal.
Just curious, to what are you referring?
Old 09-02-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by William Fuld
For someone who disliked the movie you sure have made a point to post in every single thread about it.
so true but the DVD was distributed by Fox so he must post in threads about it.
Old 09-02-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but it's related to this one:

I'm pretty sure Matrix Reloaded sold over 4 million on its first day. Not sure of the exact number though.
Old 09-02-04, 02:59 PM
Banned

Yeah I was watching some show on the bible on TV I was pretty pissed when they gave away the ending of the movie. I did not want to know what hipped to the guy at the end damn it.
Old 09-02-04, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And the sales from Jew-hating Muslim countries haven't even been tallied yet...
Old 09-02-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's all about restricting what others can watch. They will continue to do anything they want.
Well, people from any side like restricting what people are exposed to. Why else do you think open prayer is usually a no-no in public schools?

As for the sales... impressive. I do hope most of the 4.1 million were widescreen.
Old 09-02-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
horrible, awful, boring movie...should've been called 'kill jesus'
Old 09-02-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no insert = no sale!
Old 09-02-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Why else do you think open prayer is usually a no-no in public schools?
Because Church and State are seperate because then you will be forcing those who may not believe to actually have to deal with the nonsense.

so true but the DVD was distributed by Fox so he must post in threads about it.
You make a valid point here. And if you notice my post in this thread are not threadcrapping. I figure that you passion lovers may actually enjoy the fact that someone who didn't like it is siding with you guys and saying it is a hit.

I don't think the meritt of the movie quality has any lasting in this thread as much as the conversation is about the dvd sales of it.
Old 09-02-04, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
should've been called 'kill jesus'
Um..... ah.........I believe that's what the story was about.
Old 09-02-04, 06:21 PM
Cool New Member

wow this DVD is going to be hge
Old 09-02-04, 08:43 PM
Banned

OK, two things here.

One, with regards to the violence, if you're familiar with the Stations of the Cross (ie. The Passion), you're also probably familiar with the torture Jesus went through. So seeing it on the screen only makes the "story/event" more powerful.

My mother (61) who is a member of the National Council of Catholic Women went to see it. She goes to movies fairly frequently and generally goes to chick flicks. However, with her knowledge of the Passion, she wasn't shocked or surprised by any of the violence.

Two, for those concerned about letting young children see it, it seems that most children who did see it, went away with not a horrified vision, but an all new appreciation for the suffering that Jesus went through.

I haven't seen it myself yet, but I will eventually when ever we get word on the rumorer SE. If no SE, then I'll buy the bare-bones version.
Old 09-02-04, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Because Church and State are seperate because then you will be forcing those who may not believe to actually have to deal with the nonsense.
Show me where in the Constitution that states that Church and State are separate. I'll save you some time. It doesn't.

The only thing it states is this:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
All that means is the Congress can't establish an official state religion like England did with the Church of England. In fact, it establishes the freedom of religion - not freedom from religion. It also doesn't mean that religion can't be a part of government or national policy.

It's only the Liberal idealogy who thinks it means that religion can have no part in government or in its policies.
Old 09-02-04, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mod note: Please keep the political discussion in the Other forum

Thanks
Old 09-02-04, 09:23 PM

I am grateful that Mel Gibson made this movie and can't express in words how much I love Jesus. Anything that promotes Christianity and converts any non-believers is great. If Mel makes a lot more money off the sales of this DVD, then good for him. He has tapped into a very large and sometimes forgotten market: The Christian. When others tap into certain markets its seen as smart business. Why the double standard is applied to Christians is hypocritical. Like it or hate it, the Christians are going to buy and support this movie along with any more Christian movies that will follow. I am excited about the possibilities. I have not purchased this DVD yet.

Oh yeah, about the "children" watching the DVD, do you not think that its the parent's decision. I mean come on. I can't believe this is being discussed in this thread. Of all the things that are on video today..... think about it........ some people are worried about children watching this movie, you're kidding right? Are the same people who are concerned about children watching this movie concern about children watching anything else or is it because that for 2000 years people have been picking up the cross and following Jesus? The crucifixion of Jesus is what this movie is all about. I could be wrong but I get the feeling that the concern here is that these children maybe converted.

There are more books written about Jesus than any other person ever. Its sad but I believe Adolf Hitler is next in line. Anyway I am not attacking anybody. This movie is very controversial and some may not like what I have written. I say to them that their or any anti-The Passion of the Christ comments do not offend me and I do not care if my comments offend them. This is America and I am happy we all can believe in whatever we want and have the freedom to express our feelings about this movie in this forum.
Old 09-03-04, 12:01 AM

Asspikes..I don't think people are 'worried' about people being 'converted' by the film.

But we are just commenting on the hypocrisy and possibly dangerous mindfucks,some overly concered people do thinking the film is 'important' & 'ok' for all too see regardless of age.

Now if a kid wants to see this film and thinks they are mature enough to handle it. Then fine,let them see it. But if a kid does not want to see it,and a parent forces them against their will to view it(pretty much a brainwashing propoganda machine). Then yes that is not a good thing and can be psychologically damaging.

See it is really simple. Wanting to see a film,means you are more likely to be able to handle the content(even if it offends,or shocks you). Meanwhile if you DON'T want to watch something with such graphic shocking disturbing material. You are more likely to have a hugely negative reaction to the material(repulsion,nerves shattered,nightmares,images stay in your head traumatizing you forever ect) and possibly fuck up your head(if at a young impressionable sheltered age). Meanwhile that reaction will be less severe if you go willingly into a film knowing what to expect.

Of course when I say 'kid'. I mean a more reasonble age like 12 or 13. The parents thinking this film is ok for under 10 year olds to see is fucked up in itself. If they can't see why,then they really are messed up in the head.

Yet that is exactly what some of these lack of common sense people screaming at their kids "This is important,he died for your sins,watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when the film was in theaters are doing.

There were families at the showing I went to,with kids of all ages,and alot of them thought the film was too much for them to handle(with good reason). Then there were more horror stories from other people on the forum describing their experiances with nutty parents forcing their kids to the film.

Meanwhile these very same people are the same ones who scream out 'we must protect the children' against all the 'filth'(explicit content,unwholesome real life issues ect) all the time. So it is very hypocritical of them to think this film is 'ok' for the kids to watch,just because it is about Jesus.

Like the films they protest,this IS ONLY a movie people. Get over it and stop making excuses why it is more 'acceptable' to watch than any other R rated films you shelter your kids from.

The fact that some people DO intend to use the film to 'covert' people(or at least try) is telling as well. Not everyone will follow christianity...but can still believe in Jesus. So get used to it

I thought it was a great,very powerful and amazing film. But even I won't fall for the propoganda some people try to cram down my throats in an attempt to 'win' me over just because I liked the film.
Old 09-03-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
no insert = no sale!
It has an insert.
Old 09-03-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Dear Jebus, I never thought there would be a day that I actually kinda agree with Julie Walker. It is silly to say that this amount of graphics is alright simply because it is about some guy they believe in but if this was another gore filled film then they would scream against the unneeded violence.

As for church and state.. Tell that to the judge that got his ten commandments stone dragged off. It may not say protection FROM, but it really does imply that since we did come her to escape someone else religion to not just turn around and force others to convert by force to ours. I enjoy the fact that God has no place in a school. Let childern learn as they grow and make up their own mind instead of becoming sheep. (And I went to catholic school mind you)

Anything that promotes Christianity and converts any non-believers is great.
This is my issue with the film. I don't want to hear Propoganda. I also don't react well to a guilt trip. "HE DIED FOR YOU!!! FOR YOU!!!!". No, he died because he was speaking against the current system in place. Can there be something learned from his "teachings"? sure. But I'm not going to react well to a two hour guilt trip on how much one man suffered for stating what you may believe in.

But that is all getting off topic. This is suppose to be about dvd sales. Which are important and really, in the long run this record will be beat by the next big release. I'm sure Star Wars will do around, if not better numbers. Because much like christianity, there is a cult following for that as well. A lot of studios like to pimp out the first day/week's numbers because people buy what everyone else is buying. If they can promote the film on that fact they will.

Also note that not everything that has GOD's print on it sells like gold. The Left Behind book series sold like hot cakes, but the films that were made from the books don't seem to be flying off your shelves.

This is America and I am happy we all can believe in whatever we want and have the freedom to express our feelings about this movie in this forum.
As am I. Just so long as the belief in your god doesn't step on the toes of my belief in no god.
Old 09-03-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by aspikes

Oh yeah, about the "children" watching the DVD, do you not think that its the parent's decision.
If the religious right would remember this, maybe we wouldn't have such a problem with their hypocrisy regarding sex and violence being allowed on screen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.