Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Direct to DVD sequels (merged) -Wargames, Roadhouse...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Direct to DVD sequels (merged) -Wargames, Roadhouse...

Old 08-31-04, 10:14 PM

Direct to DVD sequels -Wargames, Roadhouse...

I read this over at http://www.davisdvd.com

08.28.04 DIRECT-TO-DVD

MGM Home Entertainment will release the sci-fi sequel Species III onto DVD on December 7th. Full details aren't available quite yet, but look for the title to be released in both R-rated and unrated versions with a retail price of $25.98. A tame version of the film will be aired on the Sci Fi Channel on November 27th, which also will serve as a marketing promotion for the DVD. A special edition DVD re-release of the original Species is due on October 19th. MGM has also announced that it is developing direct-to-DVD sequels to Cutting Edge, Roadhouse and WarGames.

Does anyone have any further information? A sequel to Wargames sounds cool if they do it right. That is still one of my favorite 80's movies.

-Mike
Old 08-31-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, with the way their careers are going, I'm sure most of the stars from The Cutting Edge, Road House, and War Games (minus Ferris) can all be in their respective Direct to DVD sequels.
Old 08-31-04, 10:17 PM

Roadhouse 2 - Electric Boogaloo? If it has twice as many boobs and twice as much of the Swayze, I'm there.
Old 08-31-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the funny thing is that all three of those weren't really that bad.
Old 08-31-04, 10:27 PM
Banned

Wouldn't be too interested in seeing a sequal to Roadhouse, but one for War Games could be interesting. However, with the end of the Cold War, it'd be difficult to write a sensible script. Who'd be the imaginary enemy that NORAD would be picking up on their threat computers? North Korea, Iran, perhaps?
Old 08-31-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Wouldn't be too interested in seeing a sequal to Roadhouse, but one for War Games could be interesting. However, with the end of the Cold War, it'd be difficult to write a sensible script. Who'd be the imaginary enemy that NORAD would be picking up on their threat computers? North Korea, Iran, perhaps?
One word: Canada.
Old 08-31-04, 10:35 PM

"MGM Home Entertainment will release the sci-fi sequel Species III onto DVD on December 7th. Full details aren't available quite yet, but look for the title to be released in both R-rated and unrated versions.."

If it's not being released in the theaters, why release two versions? Just give us the unrated. Or include them both on the same disc.
Old 08-31-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
One word: Canada.
Haha, now that I would pay to see.
Old 08-31-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shap
"MGM Home Entertainment will release the sci-fi sequel Species III onto DVD on December 7th. Full details aren't available quite yet, but look for the title to be released in both R-rated and unrated versions.."

If it's not being released in the theaters, why release two versions? Just give us the unrated. Or include them both on the same disc.
Some rental places wont carry unrated movies.
Old 08-31-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since most sequels made for theatrical release (with appropriate budgets for a theatrical release) suck, we can only imagine what lower-budget "20 years later" sequels will be like. Maybe the could be used to revive the DIVX market.
Old 08-31-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As long as they all have a "hip young cast" i'll be all over these like cheez wiz.
Old 09-01-04, 12:04 AM

Sweet I love road house and a sequel to wargames could be cool.
Old 09-01-04, 12:13 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Real sequles with some attempt to get the original casts, I'm all for this idea. But sequels in name only... not really interested... except Species III, which doesn't need any original stars.

The Cutting Edge is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I'm not sure how a sequel would work. Maybe the couple splits up, then is forced to reunite years later to train a new couple for the Olympics? You could have dual romantic storylines...
Old 09-01-04, 12:31 AM

Original casts? The only people I would want to come back for Roadhouse are Patrick Swayze and Sam Elliot, but they're probably too old to kick red neck ass now anyway.
Old 09-01-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

didn't they kill Sam Elliot off?

you know Swayze is up for a sequel, his ass is probably begging for Ghost 2 Electric BOOgaloo and Red Dawn 2: Dawn with a Vengeance
Old 09-01-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone for a nice game of chess?

How about global thermo-nuclear-war?
Old 09-01-04, 02:37 AM

Maybe the article is wrong, maybe they are making ONE movie that's a sequel to them all!! The working title is: The Cutting Road Games 2!!!
Old 09-01-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So were the Olsen twins in any of these?
Old 09-01-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A sequel to Road House? Blasphemy! That's like making a sequel to Citizen Kane or Casablanca. I'll have none of it.
Old 09-01-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What an odd selection of movies. Has anyone been clamoring for sequels to any of these movies?
Old 09-01-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
What an odd selection of movies. Has anyone been clamoring for sequels to any of these movies?
Actually, I think WarGames is one of the best Cold War/End of the World thrillers. But without Broderick and Badham involved, I would have little interest in a sequel.
Old 09-01-04, 03:28 PM
Suspended

No Michael Madsen in Species III = no sale. And you just know that Natasha Henstridge will be above bareing her boobs for this go around. So really, what's the point?

What I'm really interested in/confused by/possibly angry at is the Wargames sequel. Done right, might be fine. But I can't imagine it being anything more than a quickie remake with newer technology. It'll be what Clockstoppers was to Back to the Future.
Old 09-01-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DRG

The Cutting Edge is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I'm not sure how a sequel would work. Maybe the couple splits up, then is forced to reunite years later to train a new couple for the Olympics? You could have dual romantic storylines...
One of my faves. Moira Kelly
Old 09-01-04, 04:48 PM

i hear the Roadhouse sequel will have Swayze's character, Dalton, falling on hard times and having to accept a job as a cooler at a Borders coffee bar.

there he and his ragtag group of bouncers will clean out the riff raff cell phone chatterers, loud talkers, and non-liberal white males, while Dalton has a deep, meaningful relationship with the 19 year old girl that makes the cappucinos, and who is also caught up in dangerous situation with her ex, the store's assistant manager, who uses his position to constantly force her to alphabetize the stock after closing.

i hear there's a final showdown at the end where Dalton defeats the evil assistant manager by smashing his face with a fullsize copy of National Geographic's Concise Atlas of the World. it should be pretty exciting!
Old 09-01-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by matome
One of my faves. Moira Kelly
Agreed!

Moira

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.