Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does Disney pull their biggest titles so quickly?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why does Disney pull their biggest titles so quickly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I have some of the "big hitters" like Snow White, and Beauty and the Beast, but I really like Disney's live-action films. I think too much emphasis is placed on the formulaic animated films like Mulan, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, etc. and not enough on the classics like "Gnome Mobile", "Darby O'Gill and the Little People", "Love Bug", "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", "Escape to Witch Mountain", etc.

I've been picking them up at Costco ($12.99) as they show up.

I suggest that for those that are waiting for the vault to be opened (why do I keep thinking "Seinfeld" when I hear about the "vault"? ) to consider those live-action classics... you just might be surprised.
Old 08-28-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Thank you the Cow, you said it perfectly. the world is not fair indeed.
Fortunately, this truism cuts both ways, and it is just simple economics. Manipulating the market by creating artificial scarcity does allow Disney to maximize revenue, but it also allows bootleggers the opportunity to compete with Disney.

When the total cost of buying a bootleg -- the actual price bootlegger charges plus mostly the risk of poor quality, with an almost, but not quite zero risk of getting in trouble with the law -- is less than the cost for the authentic product, consumers will choose the bootleg. This is the invisible hand at work and serves to at least somewhat limit what Disney is able to get away with. But, since copyright is technically a monopoly, the invisible hand can only do so much.

Disney walks a fine line with their marketing tactics, but you can see how their particular business model of using their monopoly in copyright on the works to maintain high selling prices causes them to be one of the most vocal (and more importantly, well-funded) supporters of draconian copyright laws. The more they can push the cost of copyright monopoly enforcement onto the backs of taxpayers, the more profit is left over for them.

People ought to keep that in mind when paying that "disney premium" for one of their DVDs, they get you in the wallet at time of purchase and they used your own tax dollars to do it.

Last edited by Jah-Wren Ryel; 08-28-04 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Disney walks a fine line with their marketing tactics, but you can see how their particular business model of using their monopoly in copyright on the works to maintain high selling prices causes them to be one of the most vocal (and more importantly, well-funded) supporters of draconian copyright laws. The more they can push the cost of copyright monopoly enforcement onto the backs of taxpayers, the more profit is left over for them.
Excellent point. I recall reading an article that showed a connection between new copyright law legislation (extending the period) with the imminent expiration of the copyright on Mickey Mouse. Anyone have a link to that article?