Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lady and the Tramp (Is this a bootleg? help!)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-26-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hopefully I post the images right, but I just got this in the mail today, and I was wondering a couple things.

1. insert supposed to be glossy?

2. is the disc/disc art supposed to be completely smooth, because it seems to lack that sort of "rough" texture of some other DVDs by Disney I have. No "grainy" looking or feeling texture.

hopefully the pics will help illustrate my question.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xfrank...bum?.dir=/13e7

Last edited by asianxcore; 08-27-04 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-26-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks real to me. If it's a bootleg, it's one of the best I've ever seen.
Old 08-26-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Yep. that looks legit. This is one of Disney's earlier offerings on dvd, under the 'limited issue' banner. That would explain why it looks different than most of the recent releases.
Old 08-26-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Yep. that looks legit. This is one of Disney's earlier offerings on dvd, under the 'limited issue' banner. That would explain why it looks different than most of the recent releases.
is the disc art supposed to look dull and smooth?

because my Beauty and the Beast, and Snow White DVDs I got at a local store, have kind of a grainy texture/look
Old 08-27-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I only get red X's..
Old 08-27-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
I only get red X's..
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xfrank...bum?.dir=/13e7

let me know if that album works, it has the pictures of the DVD in it. I had to change the restriction level on the album.
Old 08-27-04, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will have to look at mine and let you know tomorrow but.....I do not believe the chapter stops are listed on the back cover unless that is the chapter insert in the pic. Will take a look at mine this evening.
Old 08-27-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

do many bootleggers go to the trouble of rounding the corners to the jackets?
Old 08-27-04, 09:26 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everything looked identical to my copy with one EXCEPTION.

On the actual DVD itself the "Disney DVD" logo is under the baker's feet and just to the left of the table. Yours appears up near the baker's waist. Maybe it's nothing at all, but it is inconsistent.
Old 08-27-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JAA
Everything looked identical to my copy with one EXCEPTION.

On the actual DVD itself the "Disney DVD" logo is under the baker's feet and just to the left of the table. Yours appears up near the baker's waist. Maybe it's nothing at all, but it is inconsistent.
Is the DVD itself, like the disc art have a really smooth texture?? I think thats the only thing I am really worried about, since my other DVDs have kind of a slight grain look to them and so on.

Also to one of the above posters, the thing with the chapter stops is the insert.
Old 08-27-04, 12:54 PM

My disc of Lady and the Tramp, is kind of grainy, like Snow White.

Andy
Old 08-27-04, 01:13 PM

I don't have my copy in front of me either. Another couple suggestions to look at: what color is the surface of the disc? I could be wrong, but aren't bootlegs done on DVD-/+Rs? If so, the color will be different than a typical DVD. The DVD+Rs I have used were either purple or green.

Also I can't tell from the picture, but it looks like the region coding is either 1 or 3. If it's 3, then your answer is it's an import.

If those 2 things check out too. Then it's either legit or bootlegging may have gotten to a completely indetectable level.
Old 08-27-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Generally, if you have to ask if this you have a bootleg, you do. I had a legit copy of this, along with a bootleg, but I can't really tell with your pictures if yours is legit or not.
Old 08-27-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all the help , and hopefully more help haha,

1. The disc looks like its on a gold colored disc.

2. I played it on a couple players and this is what happened:

Philips 727- played fine
Bose Home Theater 3-2-1- played fine
Toshiba SDK740- getting disc error message

so I'm not really sure about it still.

there are numbers on the near the inside ring of the data side of the DVD, it is:

(E4107) E3504

it's weird because if it is region 3, it wouldn't have played on that Bose player since that only plays r1's. also if it was burned/bootlegged, wouldn't it play on the Toshiba too since it reads DVD-r/rws?
Old 08-27-04, 02:11 PM

Sounds suspicious, but I was talking about at the bottom of the back cover it says what region it is. Your picture is somewhat out of focus, and I couldn't tell if it says 1 or 3.

I would think if it was a region 3 DVD that the Toshiba would have told you there was a region violation and not just an error.

I would have to look at my copy when I get home. It sounds right now like you have a bootleg that you'll never be able to prove is a bootleg.

I assume you got it off of ebay. What is the seller's username?
Old 08-27-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you asking this question because you bought it from a private party on ebay or online somewhere and not from a retail (online or B&M) establishment? I presume this is the reason you're asking, right?

Most of the Disney DVDs in my collection have the "grainy" type printing on the disc, but I didn't check them all because as soon as I got to Sleeping Beauty, I stopped. Both SB discs have a matte finish (smooth and dull appearance) like you describe your L&T disc has. My SB came from a Disney store so I know it's legit. Got my Little Mermaid DVD as part of a deal with buying SB. The LM disc has the "grainy" printing. Both of these DVDs have "glossy" inserts. BTW, I just noticed my 3 Lives of Thomasina DVD also has a matte finish, although the insert doesn't appear as glossy as the others.

gbub asked about the color and the region code. If the play side of the disk is anything other than silver, then it's definitely a boot. If it's silver and says region 3, then it shouldn't play, unless you have a "region-free" player. If it's silver, says region 3 and does play, then you probably have a boot made by an organized crime pirating operation. The disc was stamped like legit discs and not burned. I doubt a legit region 3 disc would have everything (DVD, insert, cover) printed entirely in english.

If it says region 1, then it's legit. Or the best boot ever made. Unless you can compare it side by side to a copy you know is legit, you'll have to live with a bit of doubt.

Is there a Blockbuster or other DVD rental place in your area? If they still have it for rent, you could compare it to their discs.
Old 08-27-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gbub
Sounds suspicious, but I was talking about at the bottom of the back cover it says what region it is. Your picture is somewhat out of focus, and I couldn't tell if it says 1 or 3.

I would think if it was a region 3 DVD that the Toshiba would have told you there was a region violation and not just an error.

I would have to look at my copy when I get home. It sounds right now like you have a bootleg that you'll never be able to prove is a bootleg.

I assume you got it off of ebay. What is the seller's username?
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws1/eBayISA...=STRK:MEWN:SID

I appreciate everyones help, can't thank everyone enough.

Jon 2: yes I did get this off ebay, and it might be a really good boot. since you said if it is any color other than silver than its questionable, yes it is gold.

anyone have advice on my next step?
I don't really care about a refund, my girlfriend paid for more than half of it, so I will pay her back this weekend. should I contact Disney/ebay?

Last edited by asianxcore; 08-27-04 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-27-04, 03:24 PM

Legit DVDs are often light gold color especially when they're dual-layered. Dual-layered burners are already reasonably priced, but I don't know what the media looks like. You said it was gold so I wouldn't immediately conclude it's a bootleg just because it's not silver.

The seller you bought it from has feedback dating back only about a week. Interestingly 2/3 of it is from people he's bought stuff from. Seems possible he's a re-seller and doesn't really know what he's selling.

Anyways, one more time...is the region number on the back bottom a 1 or 3?
Old 08-27-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gbub
Legit DVDs are often light gold color especially when they're dual-layered. Dual-layered burners are already reasonably priced, but I don't know what the media looks like. You said it was gold so I wouldn't immediately conclude it's a bootleg just because it's not silver.

The seller you bought it from has feedback dating back only about a week. Interestingly 2/3 of it is from people he's bought stuff from. Seems possible he's a re-seller and doesn't really know what he's selling.

Anyways, one more time...is the region number on the back bottom a 1 or 3?
the number on the back is 1 sorry

yup the disc is gold, everyone else who chimed in on this thread, what color are your discs?
Old 08-27-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Another couple suggestions to look at: what color is the surface of the disc? I could be wrong, but aren't bootlegs done on DVD-/+Rs? If so, the color will be different than a typical DVD. The DVD+Rs I have used were either purple or green.
"Homemade" boots would be burned DVDRs, but bootleg discs that were actually pressed in a manufacturing plant (as opposed to burned on a computer) are certainly possible as well. They could be silver or gold.
Old 08-27-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a copy of this and sold it a few years ago. I remember mine having more of a gold colored tinge to it. Looking at your pics it looks to be an original.
Old 08-27-04, 04:26 PM

pressed in a manufacturing plant
Is it that bad these days?
Old 08-27-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Iv got mine in front of me-

what do you wanna know??
Old 08-27-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Is it that bad these days?
Yep. There are many plants in parts of Asia that press legitimate DVDs during normal business hours and do some "unofficial" work during the evenings (especially in countries that don't respect copyright laws too well, ie. China, Thailand, etc) Not sure if this happens anywhere in the US though.
Old 08-27-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tommy28
Iv got mine in front of me-

what do you wanna know??
1. the texture look of the DVD disc art itself. mine seems to be smooth, and dull looking, compared to my Snow White and Beauty and the Beast DVDs they have kind of a grainy look and feel to them.

2. What color is the data side of the disc.

when I first got the DVD it was in a BLACK case, with the Lady and the Tramp seal on the top of the DVD. I wasn't too sure what was going on with that. I emailed the seller right away, giving him a chance to explain himself before I leave any kind of feedback/contact ebay/paypal

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.