DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SUPER TROOPERS skipping?

Old 08-26-04, 11:24 AM

SUPER TROOPERS skipping?

Heya,

I got a copy of Super Troopers yesterday and noticed a lot of skipping problems with it every now and then.

This was a brand new copy too. It seemed to be moreso MPEG errors than anything else.

One noticable part was when Farva says "Does this look like spit to you"?...and then either a layer change happens or it skips..

Anyone got any answers on this? And no, my DVD player is fine, it's not even 2 months old.. Never any problems.
Old 08-26-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: SUPER TROOPERS skipping?

Originally posted by Masamune
Heya,
It seemed to be moreso MPEG errors than anything else.
Hmmm. Something is wrong with your disc, your player, or your players firmware. I'd say its a bad pressing or your firware needs updating.

Get your hands on another copy and see if it does it again. If it does it at same point in the movie, then your player probably is the culprit.
Old 08-26-04, 11:54 AM

Getting a new copy today.

It's kinda weird. I never rent movies because the discs are always scratched up, but someone in my family rented a movie and I watched it. I noticed a lot of MPEG issues and skipping on that movie.

I'm worried that somehow that movie has screwed my player...
Old 08-26-04, 01:48 PM

If possible, try to get a replacement from a different store. Where you got it at could have gotten a bad batch and exchanging it won't really solve anything if you get another one from that batch.

On the other hand, a player that's less than 2 months old isn't really a tried and true player. I've never heard of a DVD causing a player to go bad, but if other discs are starting to skip, you may simply have gotten a bum player.

Don't stay in denial on it too long before you're out of the exchange zone or out of warranty. I know, it sucks. My first one died a couple months after having it. This was years ago. I negotiated an exchange at Best Buy, but the replacement also died. I sent it in under warranty for repairs, but it died again out of warranty. There ensued a legal battle which I got my name in on. A couple years later I got an "extended" warranty to get it fixed. I did and it died 3 weeks later.
Old 08-26-04, 04:20 PM

Hmm.

I can't get a refund on the DVD so I will just have to do an exchange. Nothing more.

Wish me luck.
Old 08-27-04, 09:22 AM

I actually meant more that if you got it at Target, for example, exchange it at a different Target.
Old 08-28-04, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that's just a layer change issue. It happens on mine, just a brief hesitation...kind of a stick.