Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Problems with Chaplin Collection Vol. 2 fixed yet?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Problems with Chaplin Collection Vol. 2 fixed yet?

Old 08-25-04, 08:38 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just around the corner to the light of day.
Posts: 12,429
Problems with Chaplin Collection Vol. 2 fixed yet?

I have had the Chaplin Collection Vol. 2 since it was released earllier this year and have returned it once due to these problems:

1) The Chaplin Review discs are labled in reverse. Disc 1 is Disc 2 etc.
2) A King In New York / A Woman Of Paris is the same problem as above...the discs are mislabled
3) On City Lights extra features disc feature CHAPLIN SPEAKS is errored. It freezes about 40 seconds in and will not play.

Does anybody know if recent sets have fixed these issues? Has anybody else experienced this (especially #3) on their sets?

Thanks
ViewAskewbian is offline  
Old 08-25-04, 08:40 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,467
Not sure about the others, but I checked City Lights out from the library and the extras were fine.

And you know how the stuff at libraries are handled.
conscience is offline  
Old 08-25-04, 10:45 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,682
I just rechecked my City Lights bonus disc... no problems playing Chaplin Speaks! (In case others are interested, it's three minutes of Chaplin being mobbed by a crowd in Vienna, then a few seconds of him speaking German into a microphone... supposedly, the first time his voice was recorded on film.)
RevKarl is offline  
Old 08-25-04, 11:41 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just around the corner to the light of day.
Posts: 12,429
Originally posted by RevKarl
I just rechecked my City Lights bonus disc... no problems playing Chaplin Speaks! (In case others are interested, it's three minutes of Chaplin being mobbed by a crowd in Vienna, then a few seconds of him speaking German into a microphone... supposedly, the first time his voice was recorded on film.)
Bingo! I'd probably let the error slide if it happened on those 5-10 minute long silent movies but Chaplin speaking on film for the first time is a pretty good extra for a fan like me to have. Glad to see others are working fine.

No word on the mixed up disc lables yet, huh?
ViewAskewbian is offline  
Old 08-25-04, 11:52 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,682
Since they play fine, I'm not worrying about the reversed labels in my set.

Good luck with WB's return department on your defective disc. After four months, I'm still trying to get them to correctly process the exchange of my misframed Kiss Me Kate DVD.
RevKarl is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 01:06 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just around the corner to the light of day.
Posts: 12,429
Originally posted by RevKarl
Since they play fine, I'm not worrying about the reversed labels in my set.

Good luck with WB's return department on your defective disc. After four months, I'm still trying to get them to correctly process the exchange of my misframed Kiss Me Kate DVD.
Yeah, that was my original intent with the mix up until the error on City Lights which, to me anyway, is over something that is priceless. Might just exchange the set one more time as it doesn't seem like a popular error to most.

Thanks.
ViewAskewbian is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 01:20 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 251
the bigger problem is the crappy PAL to NTSC conversion on these releases -- you have to go with the UK PAL discs to avoid blurry "ghosting" artifacts.
unclehulot is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 11:42 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 899
Originally posted by unclehulot
the bigger problem is the crappy PAL to NTSC conversion on these releases -- you have to go with the UK PAL discs to avoid blurry "ghosting" artifacts.
I've heard a lot of people mention this, but to my eyes the ghosting is very minimal and the transfers are still absolutely beautiful, especially for films as old as some of these (like the Kid, for example).

Anyway, the first copy of this set that I got had a defective bonus disc for the Circus that would not even load up the menu on any DVD player (I tried 4 or 5). I got a new set very quickly from Amazon and it was fine.
kingtopher is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 12:33 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just around the corner to the light of day.
Posts: 12,429
Originally posted by kingtopher
I've heard a lot of people mention this, but to my eyes the ghosting is very minimal and the transfers are still absolutely beautiful, especially for films as old as some of these (like the Kid, for example).
I agree. As someone who has collected Chaplin's films on both VHS and earlier DVD releases, these are by far the best the films have looked and I even did a direct comparison to my old City Lights disc. Please note that I have yet to see the Eruo version of the discs which run, I believe, at the correct speed. The R1 versions run 4% faster then most. If I hadn't done a side by side comparison of the two I would not have noticed it and, really, it doesn't throw off any enjoyment of these films.
ViewAskewbian is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.