Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

LET IT BE on DVD? What happened?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever happened to "Let It Be" ?

I thought this Beatles Classic was scheduled to be released a while ago but now it seems to have just fell off the map! Anyone have any info on this title ? Thanks-
Old 06-28-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Whatever happened to "Let It Be" ?

There will be an answer.
Old 06-28-10, 05:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
There will be an answer.
Old 06-28-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least I still got my LD of this. I don't know what they're for. Us Beatles fans aren't getting any younger.
Old 06-29-10, 12:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read in the newspaper a few years ago that Paul is delaying it because there's more footage that makes him look bad.
Old 06-29-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I read in the newspaper a few years ago that Paul is delaying it because there's more footage that makes him look bad.
Well, then that's silly of Paul, if true. I don't think any of them come shining through in this and at least Paul is trying to stir up the troops in the studio. Then, everyone has one last grand time as the Beatles on top of the Apple Studio.
Really, release this already Apple.
Old 06-29-10, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pizza
I don't know what they're for. Us Beatles fans aren't getting any younger.
Man I hear ya on this point!!!
Old 06-30-10, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Close, but not exactly true... I recall reading that Paul did not want it ever released again because it showed the band in somewhat of an unfavorable light (bickering amongst themselves, etc).... but yes, my understanding is that Paul's objections are the reason for it not being available.
Old 06-30-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by moonraker
Close, but not exactly true... I recall reading that Paul did not want it ever released again because it showed the band in somewhat of an unfavorable light (bickering amongst themselves, etc).... but yes, my understanding is that Paul's objections are the reason for it not being available.
I think this is closer to the truth.

I do recall that they were considering (or was it just a rumor?) a dvd release with hours of deleted scenes. A lot of film was shot for the movie and only a small portion of it made the final cut. Paul needs to recognize that although it might be unpleasant, it was still an important part of Beatles history.

I sure am glad I have this on VHS freom when it was released back in the early 80s.
Old 07-02-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by moonraker
Paul did not want it ever released again because it showed the band in somewhat of an unfavorable light (bickering amongst themselves, etc)
I don't get this view from Paul McCartney. The film Let It Be was already pretty well bowdlerized so that all of the fighting and such were removed already. All that's there is rehearsals, performances, and a sense at times that something is amiss because certain band members are missing from some sections of the film. None of the actual arguments are in there at all.

I can understand why Paul would want the deleted footage, which presumably has all of the arguments in them, to never see the light of day. But the original film as released to the public is harmless and should be put back out there again for the fans.
Old 07-03-10, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dhmac
I don't get this view from Paul McCartney. The film Let It Be was already pretty well bowdlerized so that all of the fighting and such were removed already. All that's there is rehearsals, performances, and a sense at times that something is amiss because certain band members are missing from some sections of the film. None of the actual arguments are in there at all.

I can understand why Paul would want the deleted footage, which presumably has all of the arguments in them, to never see the light of day. But the original film as released to the public is harmless and should be put back out there again for the fans.
Old 07-03-10, 10:35 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by dhmac

It's not just Paul. George long held the same view, and his widow, Olivia, has also held up the release of the film.

And aside from the objections of the band members, Apple is unbelievably slow at releasing product. Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour are both long OOP, the Help! DVDs took forever to be released, and the company continues to sit on troves of audio and video material that they could make a killing off of. It's a poorly run organization that is just starting to improve. Apple's focus the past few years has been on the remastered CDs, and next, remastered vinyl.
Old 07-21-10, 11:48 PM

Mmmm seems to me that McCartney claimed at the time that it would be reissued with the Let It Be ...Naked album. At least that the was theoriginal plan.

We've never seen their music videos released but that doesn't mean that Paul or Ringo don't want them released. I think it comes down to the fact that Apple focuses only on one project at a time and lately the remasters were the biggest thing.

Next we have Paul and John's catalog being reissued and although they aren't Apple they do try and keep competing projects out of the way.
Old 07-24-10, 12:26 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by wayneaklein
Mmmm seems to me that McCartney claimed at the time that it would be reissued with the Let It Be ...Naked album. At least that the was theoriginal plan.

We've never seen their music videos released but that doesn't mean that Paul or Ringo don't want them released. I think it comes down to the fact that Apple focuses only on one project at a time and lately the remasters were the biggest thing.

Next we have Paul and John's catalog being reissued and although they aren't Apple they do try and keep competing projects out of the way.
Yep, and with Apple reissuing the Apple albums of the late '60s and early '70s, it seems a Let It Be DVD, or any other DVD for that matter, is not on the front burner.
Old 07-25-10, 12:53 AM

Remastering the back catalog has been Apple's focus for a good while...there have been a lot more people begging for digital downloads than for the Let It Be DVD.

There's nothing in the film itself that Paul or anyone else would object to (the argument scene in question already appears in Anthology), so it comes down to what might be in the deleted scenes. There was supposedly 28 hours of footage, so there's plenty of non-controversial bonus material that could accompany a proper DVD release.

Anyway, it's a tough restoration project to begin with. Surely they will restore from the original 16mm footage, and not the cropped theatrical release.
Old 07-25-10, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JOKipper
Remastering the back catalog has been Apple's focus for a good while...there have been a lot more people begging for digital downloads than for the Let It Be DVD.

There's nothing in the film itself that Paul or anyone else would object to (the argument scene in question already appears in Anthology), so it comes down to what might be in the deleted scenes. There was supposedly 28 hours of footage, so there's plenty of non-controversial bonus material that could accompany a proper DVD release.

Anyway, it's a tough restoration project to begin with. Surely they will restore from the original 16mm footage, and not the cropped theatrical release.
Personally I am still hopeful-