Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The BEST movie for DTS????

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
The BEST movie for DTS????

I know this will be highly a matter of opinion, but I'd like to ask you all what do you think is the ABSOLUTE BEST DVD for the DTS sound track? I mean, one that knocks your socks off, so to speak! One which makes you turn your head to see who's coming in the door, or ask yourself "where did that come from?" or makes you jump out of your chair??

I just recently got a Home Theater Surround System and I'm sure that I have not yet discovered my best DVD. Twister was certainly decent!
Old 08-12-04, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Terminator 2 DTS on The Ultimate Edition was pretty damn good...trying to think of other standouts, also Blade II and The Butterfly Effect

Last edited by MJG87; 08-12-04 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 07:31 PM

Well, I've just recently purchased a nice DTS-capable surround sound system and I've been going through all of my movies with DTS tracks to see which sounds the best. The one that has stood out above all the others to me is Gladiator with it's incredible DTS-ES mix. It really made me think there were people talking outside my front door (during the scenes that take place in a market or large crowd).
Old 08-12-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hands down, the best are Saving Private Ryan and Fast and the Furious. I don't think any other DTS release has trumped the latter. You should also check out Spider man and Black Hawk Down on superbit.
Old 08-12-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seven
Das Boot Superbit
Titan AE

are all pretty good
Old 08-12-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hero (with jet li)
Old 08-12-04, 08:37 PM

Saving Private Ryan...
Old 08-12-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Second vote for Saving Private Ryan. Gladiator is damn good though.
Old 08-12-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Other than Saving Private Ryan, I'd have to go with Master and Commander.
Old 08-12-04, 09:18 PM

I haven't seen it in a long time, but doesn't Twister have a pretty good DTS soundtrack?
Old 08-12-04, 09:25 PM

Master and Commander and Daredevil are the best that I have heard.
Old 08-12-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the Blade 2 DTS track is one of the most underrated tracks out there. The sound is great on that one.
Old 08-12-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saving Private Ryan, hands down
Old 08-12-04, 10:42 PM

I think the DTS track on Blade 2 is totally overrated. The DD track is better, has anyone else even listened to it?

SPR and The Haunting sound great in DTS.

Led Zeppelin How The West Was Won sounds awesome in DTS but the DD track is botched.

I will say it again. It is the quality of the mix not the format. So don't forget to check out the numerous outstanding DVD's in both formats. Enjoy your new gear!
Old 08-12-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
LOTR: TTT EE. I felt as if I was in the middle of the Battle at Helms Deep
Old 08-12-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Very tough choice...to pick just one, i'd go with Band of Brothers.

ok, two.....Face/off (R3 Korea)

Great picks already mentioned
Old 08-12-04, 10:57 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Ginsu
I think the DTS track on Blade 2 is totally overrated. The DD track is better, has anyone else even listened to it?
overrated?!?!?

I'll 3rd Blade 2. When the wife is out, I crank this puppy. My B&Ws and SVS love the excercise. M&C is killer as well.

I'd also like to give a nod to the remastered track for Stargate: Ultimate Edition.
Old 08-12-04, 11:34 PM

Although it's OOP, Image's 2-disc release of Dances With Wolves bears mentioning, as it has an uncompressed DTS track (only example I'm aware of, but there must be others...anyone?) that is just out of this world. May take some searching to find a copy, but worth the effort.
Old 08-12-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts
Desperado Superbit and U-571 are good
Old 08-12-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by mjlukich
Although it's OOP, Image's 2-disc release of Dances With Wolves bears mentioning, as it has an uncompressed DTS track (only example I'm aware of, but there must be others...anyone?) that is just out of this world. May take some searching to find a copy, but worth the effort.
That one ranks very highly on my DTS list, the buffalo hunt scene sounds amazing!

There are plenty more full bit DTS tracks, mostly in other regions (R2 Japan), but i think some of the early Universal DTS are full bit as well.
Old 08-13-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I enjoy the DTS track on the Canadian release of Brotherhood of the Wolf.

U-571 is good as well, as is Blade 2, the Haunting, and the Lord of the Rings EE's.
Old 08-13-04, 01:35 AM

I agree with the above choices:

Saving Private Ryan: Is still pretty much the reference disc when it comes to DTS. The audio in the opening sequence is mind-blowing. Pretty impressive, considering this was released 5 years ago.

Twister has a pretty good DTS track also. I haven't watched it in a while, but the Drive-In sequence stands out in my mind as being pretty impressive.

The Haunting: The DTS track on this one does a great job creating mood and atmosphere, with many agressive, powerful sequences throughout. And I don't care what anyone says, I love this movie.

A few others that haven't been mentioned, and while they won't blow you away, I still think the DTS tracks are pretty impressive:

Bring It On - another guilty pleasure. The sound on this is pretty impressive, especially during the opening sequence and the cheerleading finals towards the end. It's mostly the Music that makes this track - lots of hard, thumping bass.

Jason Goes To Hell and Jason X: Jason X sounds great - lots of clearly defined directional sound. Jason Goes To Hell is mostly just incredibly loud, but impressive nonetheless, especially considering the age of the film. I was really dissapointed that New Line took such care with the soundtracks for these 2 films, but neglected to include a DTS track for "Freddy vs. Jason".

Moulin Rouge - Like "Bring It On", It's the music that makes this track, and it sounds great. The "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" is an impressive sequence, and the "Your Song" sequence sounds great.

Roy

Last edited by Roy28; 08-13-04 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-13-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gladiator has always been my favorite for showing off the surround sound. That opening scene where the music is booming, the arrows are whizzing, and stuff is exploding just sounds great when you've got it really cranked up.
Old 08-13-04, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by dgc
overrated?!?!?

I'll 3rd Blade 2. When the wife is out, I crank this puppy. My B&Ws and SVS love the excercise. M&C is killer as well.

I'd also like to give a nod to the remastered track for Stargate: Ultimate Edition.
Have you listened to the superior DD track??!!?!??!?!???!!!??!!??!??!!??!??!????!??!?!??!?

Oh yeah by the way Master and Commander is an awesome sound demo disc. Although to tell you the truth I have only watched it once and I do not remember what sound format I listened to, but it was killer.

Last edited by Ginsu; 08-13-04 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-13-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Another vote for Private Ryan...don't much like the film but I find myself keeping the disc just to show how much ass surround sound kicks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.