Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

My DVD experience since joining DVD Talk.....

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-11-04, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a little taste of my great experiences since joining DVD Talk. A tribute to all movie/DVD lovers around, and much love to everybody who contributes......

My DVD experience since joining DVDT.....

Years and years ago when I got into buying DVD's, I just bought them, just happy to have my favorite movies in Digital "quality". And to get away from those god awful VHS things. Quality means something different to everybody. Some people are just happy to have there favorite movie on DVD. Some people would kill to have, not yet to DVD movies, just appear on DVD. Movies like Rad, The Monster Squad, Song of the South. Some people wouldn't care if these were bare bones, some people would. Some would buy a DVD even if it was only available in fullscreen.(I am sure there are a few of you) Just One of the Guys comes to mind with this issue. Some DVD's picture quality is crapola (like that DTS version of Predator released a while back, not the new 2 disc one)

Some DVD's sound/picture quality sucks! But some DVD's sound/picture quality is amazing.

Back in the day, years ago, I didn't know jack about DTS, Dolby Digital (5.1 or 6.1) Anamorphic, widescreen, home theateres, ect. I was just happy to have my favorite movies on DVD. Or even things the studios pull like releasing different versions/copies, forcing us to double dip. But since joining DVD talk, fellow DVD lovers and made me aware that these DO make a difference in watching DVD's. Fellow DVDTers made me aware the importance of Criterions (most of them anaways, I will forgive Criterion for stuff like Armageddon, sorry no disrespect to Armageddon lovers, just wasn't a fan of the movie)

Monday night I watched Blade II in beautiful 6.1 DTS on my Onky o home theater. How amazing!

Then last night I watched The Scorpion King, ewww. What a difference the Scorpion King's sound blows, I had to switch the system over to "DVD All Channels" to get some decent equal
sound, first it was loud, then quiet, ect. Now I know why.

When I go looking for aDVD now, I know what I want, and what I want on my DVD. I know to wait for a decent copy of Kill Bill with some damn extras to release. I knew to hold off on buying Leon Superbit, when it first dropped, because of the DTS track issue it had, and to wait for the 3rd SE release. I knew how to spot a fake/bootleg copy of Hard Boiled or Salo. I knew to pick up MST3K for $12.00 at my local used CD store, because it was out of print. (and I love the movie anyways)

And finally I know that a DTS 6.1 track is very important.

Thanks to all and much props to all the DVDTers that helped me personally with all sorts if information, and help getting my home theater set up.

My experience since joining DVDT has been an awesome one!

Thanks all!
Old 08-11-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: My DVD experience since joining DVD Talk.....

Originally posted by animalmystic
Years and years ago when I got into buying DVD's . . .
You make the late '90s sound like ancient history.
Old 08-11-04, 04:11 PM

yeah... kinda does sound like ancient history.... but hey... it was in the last century!
Old 08-11-04, 04:27 PM
Banned

Re: Re: My DVD experience since joining DVD Talk.....

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
You make the late '90s sound like ancient history.
Well, I didn't get my first VCR until 12/86. Many years after the the widespread circulation of VHS. So by the time I got into it, the introduction of VHS seemed like ancient history.

Same with DVD. I didn't get my first DVD player until 12/01. 4 years after the introduction of the format. However, since then, I have accumulated a 300 strong title collection.
Old 08-11-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a little taste of my great experiences since joining DVD Talk. A tribute to all movie/DVD lovers around, and much love to everybody who contributes......

My DVD experience since joining DVDT.....

Years and years ago when I got into buying DVD's, I just bought them, just happy to have my favorite movies in Digital "quality". And to get away from those god awful VHS things. Quality means something different to everybody. Some people are just happy to have there favorite movie on DVD. Some people would kill to have, not yet to DVD movies, just appear on DVD. Movies like Rad, The Monster Squad, Song of the South. Some people wouldn't care if these were bare bones, some people would. Some would buy a DVD even if it was only available in fullscreen.(I am sure there are a few of you) Just One of the Guys comes to mind with this issue. Some DVD's picture quality is crapola (like that DTS version of Predator released a while back, not the new 2 disc one)

Some DVD's sound/picture quality sucks! But some DVD's sound/picture quality is amazing.

Back in the day, years ago, I didn't know jack about DTS, Dolby Digital (5.1 or 6.1) Anamorphic, widescreen, home theateres, ect. I was just happy to have my favorite movies on DVD. Or even things the studios pull like releasing different versions/copies, forcing us to double dip. But since joining DVD talk, fellow DVD lovers and made me aware that these DO make a difference in watching DVD's. Fellow DVDTers made me aware the importance of Criterions (most of them anaways, I will forgive Criterion for stuff like Armageddon, sorry no disrespect to Armageddon lovers, just wasn't a fan of the movie)

Monday night I watched Blade II in beautiful 6.1 DTS on my Onky o home theater. How amazing!

Then last night I watched The Scorpion King, ewww. What a difference the Scorpion King's sound blows, I had to switch the system over to "DVD All Channels" to get some decent equal
sound, first it was loud, then quiet, ect. Now I know why.

When I go looking for aDVD now, I know what I want, and what I want on my DVD. I know to wait for a decent copy of Kill Bill with some damn extras to release. I knew to hold off on buying Leon Superbit, when it first dropped, because of the DTS track issue it had, and to wait for the 3rd SE release. I knew how to spot a fake/bootleg copy of Hard Boiled or Salo. I knew to pick up MST3K for $12.00 at my local used CD store, because it was out of print. (and I love the movie anyways)

And finally I know that a DTS 6.1 track is very important.

Thanks to all and much props to all the DVDTers that helped me personally with all sorts if information, and help getting my home theater set up.

My experience since joining DVDT has been an awesome one!

Thanks all!
I have to agree...When I joined this site a year and a half ago, I didnt know anything about DVD. I just liked the fact that the pic quality was better, and that they were just more handier than VHS. Now I know a lot more, and I actually continue to learn about DVD and movies in general. Sometimes, though, I think Ignorance is bliss because it was so much more simple to buy movies 2+ years ago. But Im glad I know what I do now, and look forward to learning more.
Old 08-11-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sound, first it was loud, then quiet, ect.
Sorry if I am not so smart but you shouldn't just leave your receiver on All Channels? Wow do I feel like an idiot you are supposed to switch it to what the movie is capable of?

Last edited by teddydogg; 08-11-04 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-11-04, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Re: Re: My DVD experience since joining DVD Talk.....

Originally posted by teddydogg
Sorry if I am not so smart but you shouldn't just leave your receiver on All Channels? Wow do I feel like an idiot you are supposed top switch it to what the movie is capable of?
I am a little confused by your comment? Are you saying it is bad to watch movies in the all channel format? If so can you explain why that is? I thought it was like any other normal channel that can be used. I watch TV on that channel too. If it is bad should there be something else I should be using. Only had the theater a few months so I am still learning it, if I have something hooked up wrong please advise.

Wow do I feel like an idiot you are supposed top switch it to what the movie is capable of?

I am also confused by this sentance. What do you mean "top switch"??
Old 08-11-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: My DVD experience since joining DVD Talk.....

I am a little confused by your comment? Are you saying it is bad to watch movies in the all channel format? If so can you explain why that is? I thought it was like any other normal channel that can be used. I watch TV on that channel too. If it is bad should there be something else I should be using. Only had the theater a few months so I am still learning it, if I have something hooked up wrong please advise.

Wow do I feel like an idiot you are supposed top switch it to what the movie is capable of?

I am also confused by this sentance. What do you mean "top switch"??
Sorry I meant to put "to switch". And I was the one feeling like an idiot I thought you were saying that you set your receiver to whatever the movie said on the back. I just leave mine an all channels all the time thinking it would switch to the best format available. Didn't mean to confuse you.
Old 08-11-04, 05:24 PM
Suspended

^^^^ Ahhhh ok i gotcha