Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

American Psycho UR????

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Psycho UR????

I read that American Psycho unrated version is OOP now.

Is there a new version planned for release?

If so, then I will wait.

I want to pick this flick up somewhere, but cannot find it anymore. Most places are sold out or do not carry it.

Any advice on where to get it?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-04, 10:54 AM
Banned

This has been covered ad nauseum before.

The UR edition is about 30 seconds longer consisting of one shot of the two girls going down on Patrick. That's the only difference.

There were rumors of a new edition but nothing more than rumors. The UK edition has some more featurettes as well as deleted scenes but that's the closest we've come to a SE.

The regular edition is dirt cheap so you're better off just picking that up until something else is released.
Old 08-11-04, 11:52 AM

www.cdwow.com (has been affilated to DVDTalk) has the excellent UK disc for $10 shipped.

It's uncut and has a couple of interesting extras.

Not got a multiregion DVD player? You should
Old 08-11-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It went OOP when they price-dropped the R-rated cut.... But like digitalfreaknyc said, this topic has been covered at great lenghths...
Old 08-11-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
you can still find the unrated version on places like half.com and ebay. it doesn't go for much.

also I heard the French version put out by Studio Canal has a crapton of extras plus its unrated. not sure though.

I was lucky enough to find the unrated version used at a local store.
Old 08-11-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

... dont just stare at it... eat it
Old 08-11-04, 03:55 PM

The French release also has DTS -en français! and forced French subtitles IIRC on the English 5.1. I have that DVD somewhere and I do definitely recall a magnificent image and some very interesting extras.
Old 08-11-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by mikewendt
It went OOP when they price-dropped the R-rated cut....
Wasn't that from a switch in distribution, from Universal to Lion's Gate or something?
Old 08-11-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in FYE today and they had "American Psycho" R-rated as part of a "2 dvds for $15" sale. But you could also buy it for $7.99 by itself. You may want to check there. While I was in there, I got "O" 2-disc SE and Requiem for a Dream for $15. Not a bad deal, especially for FYE.
Old 08-11-04, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Wasn't that from a switch in distribution, from Universal to Lion's Gate or something?
Yes, that is correct.
Old 08-14-04, 02:05 PM

There were many more differences between The R cut and the Unrated cut. The Fellatio scene was just one of them.

In the infamous " Don't just stare at it, Eat it " line, Bateman says " Christie, position yourself so you can see ( woman )'s ass." In the unrated version, he says " ******* ".

Also, when Bateman kills Paul Allen ( the killing with the chrome axe ), and he sits down and lights a cigar, you can see more brains and blood on the ground. In the R rated version, the scene is framed higher, cutting most of that stuff off.
Old 08-14-04, 04:44 PM
Banned

FYI...the word "ass hole" is NOT in the unrated version.
That is wrong.

It IS in the UK version though.
Old 02-09-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do any of the CDWow sites offer that American Psycho DVD anymore or has it went OOP also?
Old 02-09-05, 01:57 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, just to clarify, there is no and has never been an official Region 1 release of the unrated cut?
Old 02-09-05, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
So, just to clarify, there is no and has never been an official Region 1 release of the unrated cut?
Yes, there has. It is OOP.

DJ
Old 02-09-05, 03:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
My official Region 1 release says "Unrated Version" in a red, half-inch wide bar located just above the title "American Psycho". AND... the same red bar is also located on the spine.

And here's what it looks like (straight from Amazon.com):
Old 02-09-05, 04:10 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Then what's all this babble about the "UK Version"?
Old 02-09-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I believe the UK version was mentioned because it is also uncut, it has different extras, and also because it is easier/cheaper to get a hold of than the R1 OOP disc. (?)
Old 02-09-05, 04:43 PM

At one point in the film, the word "asshole" was replaced with "ass" as part of the effort to receive an R rating. The US unrated disc still features the word "ass" at that moment, but the UK disc features the word "asshole."

DJ
Old 02-09-05, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lovitz
Also, when Bateman kills Paul Allen ( the killing with the chrome axe ), and he sits down and lights a cigar, you can see more brains and blood on the ground. In the R rated version, the scene is framed higher, cutting most of that stuff off.
not true,the only difference is the sex scene
Old 02-10-05, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by djtoell
At one point in the film, the word "asshole" was replaced with "ass" as part of the effort to receive an R rating. The US unrated disc still features the word "ass" at that moment, but the UK disc features the word "asshole."

DJ

Indeed. Fair enough, then.
Old 02-10-05, 11:38 AM
Banned

New question: can anyone post the UPC code for the R1 U.S. Uncut version?
Old 02-10-05, 06:59 PM

New question: can anyone post the UPC code for the R1 U.S. Uncut version?
Here ya go...
Old 02-11-05, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I followed the development of this movie before it was released, and I recall reading director Mary Harron commenting that the R-rated cut, which was insisted by the studio, required she remove the scene of Bateman's cold expression seen for a few seconds, as he has sex with the two prostitutes. It was not the fact that he says "asshole" or that we see one of the girls bobbing her head below the frame. It was the look on his face. Mary Harron commented on it because she was annoyed that the scene had to be cut on the insistence of the studio (she also almost lost control of the film to Leonardo Dicaprio wanting to jump into the lead to save his image of pin-up boy after Titanic). Also the unrated cut features more sex with the prostitutes as see through the video camera’s monitor, which is not in the R-rated cut.

As for this, unrated cut of the DVD being discussed (which is really the director’s cut, if you could it hear from Harron), which is the best copy to own? Is it the UK version or the French version-- as far as extras and image and sound quality (too bad DVD Beaver never made a comparison…. Anyone know if someone else has?).
Old 02-11-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd like a new edition if only for a commentary track or two.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.