Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal SUCKS!!!!! (Shrek 2 stoopidity)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked around and didn't see this posted anywhere, but when Universal releases Shrek 2 they are totally F'N it up. It will cost over $50 to have a "true" special edition of it. Here is what you have to buy in order to get what should have been a regular Shrek 2-Disc SE priced at $29.95

Shrek 2: Single Disc Widescreen Version
Shrek: The Story So Far Collector's Pack that has the "Story So Far" Bonus Disc and the Full Screen versions of Shrek & Shrek 2 plus Shrek 3-D.

This is the stupidest F'N thing that a studio has done yet. They are doing a similar thing with Van Helsing. Damn You Universal I don't wanna buy all that extra crap I already bought once so I can get what you should have given us in the first place. Universal is doing so good with the Franchise Collections yet the continue to F' up all of there newer release.
Old 08-10-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
um...duh?
Old 08-10-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So become a studio exec, learn gow to screw things up on your own, and then we all can come here and rant about YOU.

P.S. They will not come at gunpoint and force you to buy this.
Old 08-10-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dreamworks is the studio behind this decision (though Universal releases its DVDs).
Old 08-10-04, 10:29 PM

This is nothing new. Studios do this all the time. Don't buy either set if you're pissed off with them.

Me, I'll be getting the single disc thank you very much.
Old 08-10-04, 10:31 PM

I wish I knew why every time I see Shrek 1 in the stores, it's always "full frame." And it's a full-frame version that comes with that 3D pack.

There is a widescreen, OAR version of this movie, right? If so, why doesn't anyone seem to stock it?
Old 08-10-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Actually since Shriek is digital I believe they recomposed the image for full screen so that there is no missing information.
I purchased the movie when it first came out . It was a 2 disc set with a wide screen version and full screen version on different discs. I would assume they will do something similar with Shreik 2.
It is a too bad that if you really like the movie and want all the extras you have to double dip like that.
Old 08-10-04, 11:00 PM
Banned

A bit OT, but Universal's customer service sucks. I bought a *Brand New Sealed* Battlestar Galactica set over eBay. It had a bad disc. (Major surface flaw that prevented it from even loading in the DVD player.) Called the Universal customer service # for replacement. They wouldn't send me a replacement disc without an official store receipt. Well, since it was an eBay purchase the best I could do was a printout of my PayPal payment receipt as sorts. They said that they consider anything bought on eBay as "used". Well, so f*'in what! I still have a bad disc. What if I got the set as a gift? At least I was up front and honest with them.

Well, needless to say that I recontacted the eBay seller, and fortunately they had another copy. So I returned my defective set and just received my replacement today. Been watching the episodes that I couldn't see in the previous set today.
Old 08-10-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
The rumors are true. Universal sucks. I wish they make more of their "Collectior's Edition" DVDs and just stick with one thing.
Old 08-10-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Universal SUCKS!!!!! (Shrek 2 stoopidity)

Originally posted by Gore_Hound_X
I looked around and didn't see this posted anywhere, but when Universal releases Shrek 2 they are totally F'N it up. It will cost over $50 to have a "true" special edition of it. Here is what you have to buy in order to get what should have been a regular Shrek 2-Disc SE priced at $29.95

Shrek 2: Single Disc Widescreen Version
Shrek: The Story So Far Collector's Pack that has the "Story So Far" Bonus Disc and the Full Screen versions of Shrek & Shrek 2 plus Shrek 3-D.

This is the stupidest F'N thing that a studio has done yet. They are doing a similar thing with Van Helsing. Damn You Universal I don't wanna buy all that extra crap I already bought once so I can get what you should have given us in the first place. Universal is doing so good with the Franchise Collections yet the continue to F' up all of there newer release.
So for $50 bones you get the Story so far collectors pack that includes three films? If you ask me, that's a deal. Thank you Universal/Dreamworks. Thank you very much. this is a smart move if you ask me.

Care for some cheese with that wine?
Old 08-10-04, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Re: Re: Universal SUCKS!!!!! (Shrek 2 stoopidity)

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
So for $50 bones you get the Story so far collectors pack that includes three films? If you ask me, that's a deal. Thank you Universal/Dreamworks. Thank you very much. this is a smart move if you ask me.

Care for some cheese with that wine?
I don't know the full scoop but from the post, you get the FULLSCREEN version of 1 and 2, the widescreen version of 2, and a bonus disc. Pretty crappy set.

I'm not bitching and moaning, cuz I wouldn't buy this anyway. It just sounds like a poor marketing package to me. From marketing perspective, I would assume most buying this already have the first movie, and would package together the second and the bonus shit, but hey what do I know, I'm just a consumer.
Old 08-10-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Universal SUCKS!!!!! (Shrek 2 stoopidity)

Originally posted by Gore_Hound_X

Shrek 2: Single Disc Widescreen Version...
I didn't read the rest of your post, did it matter as much as the above?
Old 08-11-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I don't know the full scoop but from the post, you get the FULLSCREEN version of 1 and 2, the widescreen version of 2, and a bonus disc. Pretty crappy set.
and from the poster's style, I doubt all the solid info is out there right now. If they are going to mix fullscreen into the pack I'm sure their will be one pack that is only full and one pack that is just wide.

Either way.. three films for 50 bucks isn't all that bad. especially if you haven't picked up those already.

As for the bonus disc, I doubt it will be anything major
Old 08-11-04, 12:05 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Screw Universal! Just gimme the widescreen version 1-disc version. I'm sure in due time they will re-release it in a freakin' shrek shagging edition.
Old 08-11-04, 08:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Altimus Prime
There is a widescreen, OAR version of this movie, right? If so, why doesn't anyone seem to stock it?
The OAR version is OOP. My daughter broke hers recently, but I was able to find plenty of sealed copies on Half.com.
Old 08-11-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Altimus Prime
I wish I knew why every time I see Shrek 1 in the stores, it's always "full frame." And it's a full-frame version that comes with that 3D pack.
Dreamworks did like Fox and cut down some of their 2-disc sets to 1-disc versions (with the first discs of the 2-disc sets), which sell for a cheaper price. In most cases, this means that you still get the film, as many of the 2-disc sets have the movie and commentary on the first disc and just bonus material on the second.

However, with Shrek, each disc in the 2-disc set has a separate transfer of the film, and the widescreen version was on disc 2. So, you guessed it: the 1-disc version just has the disc with fullscreen. It gets worse: the extras on the widescreen disc were geared towards adults, with making-of material; and the extras on the fullscreen disc were geared towards kids, with interactive "games" and the like. Also, the DTS track was only on the widescreen disc. It remains to be seen whether they will bring back the 2-disc sets like Fox.
Old 08-11-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I hope Dreamworks puts out the widescreen version of Shrek 1 when Shrek 2 is released as i never got around to picking it up and would love to get a bundle of the two.
Old 08-11-04, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Drexl
Also, the DTS track was only on the widescreen disc.
I was going to comment on this too. The "unofficial" announcement I read did not say anything about a DTS track.
Old 09-05-04, 08:37 AM

Ok so does anybody know what the story so far incluedes?
Does it have Shrek 1 ( Widescreen, dts ) ?
Shrek 2 widescreen?
Thanks.
Old 09-05-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Either way.. three films for 50 bucks isn't all that bad. especially if you haven't picked up those already.
I think you missed his point (which if true, is valid): why should it cost $50 just to get the SE, which includes 2 films most people probably already have. Three films for $50 is a good deal...unless you already have 2 of them.

For me, I want Shrek 3-D, but since I already have original 2-disc Shrek, why pay extra money for another copy of it just to get Shrek 3-D in the 2-pack? Why don't they sell it as a standalone DVD?
Old 09-05-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
This is why I import......because I don't have to settle for the useless bundled crap studios try to market here.

This dvd should have been available in a regular (affordable) 2-disc set (w/dts) just like the first film.
Old 09-05-04, 10:37 AM

I was adding Shrek 2 to my DVD Profiler, and noticed several UPC's for it. One of the UPC's was a DTS R1. It's UPC is 75874-68952. You can click my profiler link & look at my wishlist. The release dates are different. I smell a mistake. I'll post a specific thread, without the tears.

Last edited by Skyler; 09-05-04 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-05-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by SleepyW
For me, I want Shrek 3-D, but since I already have original 2-disc Shrek, why pay extra money for another copy of it just to get Shrek 3-D in the 2-pack? Why don't they sell it as a standalone DVD?
Check used DVD places, swap meets and eBay if you only want the 3-D movie. You should be able to snag it for ~$5.
Old 09-05-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still trying to figure out what was so great about this movie that made it gross over $350 million dollars actually. Gee.......maybe they're trying to recoup their loss by charging a high price for the DVD releases.