Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sweet and Lowdown dvd Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 01:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet and Lowdown dvd Question

I was at my local walmart Yesterday and I was looking through the bargin bin when I spotted Sweet and Lowdown buried under a couple of dvds. I was really confused as how frys and best buy have it for 25 bucks and wal marts got it for 5.88. Just to make sure I asked the employee and she confirmed that it was 5.88. So there I am waiting in line to pay for it when my eyes wonder to the back of the dvd case and I see that it says Full Screen and not both Full/Widescreen. After searching every spec of the back to see if it is both and not finding anything, I saved the upc in my cell for further research and I put it down.

Anyways, today I went down to frys and the only one they had was the same upc but said both widescreen and fullscreen and it even had the little widescreen note that says it is presented in the orignal theatrical aspect ratio, which the wal mart one didnt have. The rest of the day I spent searching the net to see if there are two versions and nothing. Every website, Every store, Every Dvd comparison page shows that there is only one version which is the Widscreen/Fullscreen mix with same Upc number

All I want to know is how come Wal mart has this special full screen version and everywhere else its the mix? Are there any other movies you've seen like this?

Its the wierdest thing I have ever encountered when buying a dvd.
Old 08-10-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I can't think of examples right now, but yes, there are other times when Walmart is the only place with a fullscreen only version of a movie (usually with the same UPC as the Full/Widescreen combo version).

Be glad you noticed!
Old 08-10-04, 02:43 AM
Banned

Whats even more weird is that i checked the Walmart website and the had the Mix version and not the fullscreen version. The only fullscreen version they have listed is the VHS.
Old 08-10-04, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too saw this FS only version in the $5.50 bin at Wal-Mart and was quite dis-heartened. Great movie.
Old 08-10-04, 06:57 AM
Banned

$25? Are they nuts? It's a $10 movie at best. Ugh!!! I think you'd better rent this one cause you'll watch it only once anyways.
Old 08-10-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by ttzx
$25? Are they nuts? It's a $10 movie at best. Ugh!!! I think you'd better rent this one cause you'll watch it only once anyways.
The OP didn't ask you for what you thought of the movie. Refer to this thread for additional guidance on how to avoid threadcrapping in the future:

All about threadcraps (please read)
Old 08-10-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Weird to see this thread. I was JUST in Wal-Mart and saw both fullscreen and widescreen versions. I put the widescreen down, but now I regret not getting it.

Do a little digging in that bin and you might come up with the one you want.
Old 08-10-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has more to do with Columbia/Tri-Star than Wal-Mart. CTHV drops the widescreen sides of their flippers when their titles reach the end of their price drops.

MGM has started removing the special features from their titles when they reach the bargain price point also without reflecting the changes.
Old 01-19-05, 11:10 AM

Dammit. I got this from CH today and mine didn't come with an insert so I searched the board to see if there was supposed to be one, and found this thread, so I checked mine (after already opening it, of course) and the DVD I got from CH was pan & scan only. @#*($&&@#$!@#*$(. How much does Columbia Tristar save by making the disc pan & scan only, removing the (evidently beautiful) anamorphic version from the other side? More than 10 cents? I doubt it. Well, whatever they saved, I now have an unwatchable disc. Angry letter writing time.

I checked dvdpricesearch, and the list price is still 29.95, and no one has it for less than 22, so I don't think this has even begun having price drops.

Does anyone know if the flipper disc is still being sold elsewhere (digitaleyes, deepdiscountdvd, etc.) or is the pan & scan only disc the only version currently available?

@#(*$&@#$()*@*#$
Old 01-19-05, 12:06 PM

I've seen both the flipper version and the P&S version in the Walmart bins, recently. Try different Walmarts, you'll find one eventually.
Old 01-19-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shap
I've seen both the flipper version and the P&S version in the Walmart bins, recently. Try different Walmarts, you'll find one eventually.
I looked for 6 months+ and never came across one so I hope your luck is better than mine.

In my experience, some CTHV titles have become impossible to find in OAR like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Jawbreaker, The Mirror Has Two Faces, Idle Hands, Sweet and Lowdown, etc..
Old 01-19-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The same thing is with The Master of Disguise. CTHV originally released it WS/FS. Now all you see in stores is FS