Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

LOTR: The Two Towers (extended). Disc 2 crash?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-08-04, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I found this forum after searching for any tech info on my situation. Here is the situation:

Purchased the second LOTR 4 disc set from Costco about a month ago and finally got around to watching the movie after watching all the appendices info.

The movie works fine up until halfway through chapter 48 of disc 2, at which point it just freezes the DVD player. Its a very consistent error. I recently purchased an RCA 5 DVD/CD changer (part 31-5024).

I thought perhaps the player was hot from the extended usage so I let it cool and tried it again this morning. No go. So I tried the movie on my room mates Playstation 2 and it seems to work fine.

Does this sound like a compatibility error of some sort, or perhaps just a glitch in the dvd and maybe if I exchange I should be ok? Whats the likelyhood its the player that is faulty?

New Line Cinema has an FAQ on their website regarding this movie:

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition

DISCS 3 & 4
Discs 3 & 4 of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers use the lastest in DVD technology and are not backwards compatible with certain players. Please review the list of known players that are not compatible with these two discs.

- Aiwa XD-DV370 ( 2 players)
- Zenith DVD-2201 (2 players)
- Zenith XBV243
- Go Video Sonic Blue DVR-4250

We are working with the manufacturers of the DVD and players to make these last two DVDs compliant with the list of players above. We estimate a resolution in early Fall 2004.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience and cooperation in this matter.
This doesn't seem to apply to me since 3 and 4 worked fine. Has anyone else heard or had the problem I am referencing?

Thanks,

Adrian