Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion stinkers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-04, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with rating Criterions is that they have to be pretty good to justify the higher pricepoint.
Old 08-07-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Traffic was pretty terrible.

The Royal Tenenbaums wasn't too bad, but not Criterion worthy.

I've seen a good 100 or so and enjoyed them all quite a bit.
Old 08-07-04, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Of course, QuiGonJosh has seen ALL of the Criterion films, hence qualifying his informed opinion.

He also liked the Star Wars prequels. And Hulk.
Mod edit: Comments like this (and the original post) are uncalled for and not allowed in this forum. Feel free to disagree, but please remain civil.

Likewise to everyone else please don't "egg" people on. Just report the post.

Thanks,
nemein

I've seen a good 50 of the Criterion movies...outside of the ones I own...so I think thats a pretty good taste of what this whole series is all about...so stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Last edited by nemein; 08-07-04 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-07-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
and god forbid anyone have any sort opinion differing from yours you uptight jacka**!!
You might wanna stay away from namecalling or personal attacks.
Old 08-07-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh

Mod edit: Comments like this (and the original post) are uncalled for and not allowed in this forum. Feel free to disagree, but please remain civil.

Likewise to everyone else please don't "egg" people on. Just report the post.

Thanks,
nemein

Did I say that I had a diferent opinion? When? I look forward to receiving documentation of this.

Fifty Criterion films. What, that's about a fifth of them?

I'll probably let the COMPLETELY UNCALLED-FOR PERSONAL ATTACK slide, however.

Last edited by nemein; 08-07-04 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-07-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know that i've seen any real stinkers, but I have sold a few that i didn't deem worthy of owning...probably the closest to that label would be:

How to get Ahead in Advertising

Cries and Whispers - I'm not sure I "get" Bergman.....although this was my first film of his and am anxiously looking forward to Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries....

Down By Law - Dead Man is one of my favorite films, but this one, fantastic set aside, left me blah....very disappointed in it.

Fat Girl - not out yet, but pure trash.

Schizopolis - you either really like it or you don't....I didn't.

Naked Lunch - same thing...i can appreciate it, I know it's good...but i've seen the film 3 times now and it just leaves me wondering when it will be over so i can do something else. And i'm someone who has Dead City Radio in regular rotation in the car stereo.

Taste of Cherry - Another that I understand the appeal of, but I prefer something to happen in a film....i'm all for meditative films, but this was lacking in a number of respects....

Otherwise, i've seen many and am usually wonderfully surprised, and if not at the very least glad I got to see the film - and i can say that about each of those listed here....none of them are bad I don't think, just not something that appeals to my personal tastes.
Old 08-07-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
oh, and QuiGon?

very very lame. lame initial threadcrap, and even lamer and stupid personal attack. stick to the star wars threads if that's your cup o' tea....I don't come in there and call you names for liking pieces of crap do I?
Old 08-07-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't really know what Qui-Gon said but in his defense claiming someone enjoyed Hulk is pretty much the same as a personal attack.
Old 08-07-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Criterion for me is nothing but a "cool thing" to have... nothing more.

well, i do agree the whole having the best treatment from CC & such... just like LOTR deluxe edition & such or even superbit... they all want to give the best-of-the-best thingy

i like some of the movies CC got, like:
man bites dog
spartacus
naked lunch (although i don't totally "get" the whole story of it)
third man
& on...

but due to their high prices, prevent me from buying/having them... or even watch them.

oh, movies like The Rock, royal tenenbaums, traffic or any other recent movies, might not be need the whole CC treatment.... well, any other studio could do about the same treatment in extra features department.... but CC's biggest advantage is always on their treatment on the transfer (digital remastering job & so on)
so, i think newer released movies don't really hold the whole "cool"ness thing then other "oldie" or "artsy" titles got from CC....

sorry, just rambling...

i'm hungy....
Old 08-07-04, 11:10 PM

There are so many regrets in the Criterion Collection that I do not think it is much of a collection.
Old 08-07-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tarantino
Although I haven't seen it, the Tokyo Olympiad just looks laaaaame...
I see that you've put this in your NteFlix queue. It's really an amazing film. Here's my review...

As for me, there are plenty of films I'm not interested in that Criterion's put out but the lamest that springs to mind is Picnic at Hanging Rock. Pretentious and empty. I know some love it, but I found nothing to love.

As for not liking Notorious... is there a smilie that faints from shock?!!?
Old 08-08-04, 02:03 AM

The Criterion that I just did not enjoy was Haxan. I understand it's historical role, but I just didn't enjoy it. I enjoy most Criterions and plan on watching every film in the collection. I will also state that Notorious is one of my least favorite Hitchcock titles. It was not a bad film, but I did not enjoy it as much as most Hitchcocks films.
Old 08-08-04, 02:27 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

naked lunch was a waste of film and fake udders
Old 08-09-04, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by Tarantino
I pre-judge stuff all the time. Catwoman, well...I'll never see it, because to me, it looks lame. Same with say, Garfield. Or Cat in the Hat. Or countless other movies.
You got something against cat films?
Old 08-09-04, 09:27 AM

I have about 75 Criterions and have seen about 25 more that I don't own, but the ones that stick out the most as stinkers have to be:

Night Porter: boooring
Element of Crime: same as above
Salo: I'll just leave it at that
Old 08-09-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man Bites Dog just blew.
Old 08-09-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Nevertheless, for a company that prides itself on the quality of its product, Criterion has been slow to innovate. Just as Criterion was late to enter the DVD market to begin with, it was also late to switch from letterbox to anamorphic. Columbia Tri-Star was releasing anamorphic DVDs by the fall of 1998. Criterion's first anamorphic release was Insomnia on July 27, 1999.
Are you holding a grudge or something? They now release everything in OAR and anamorphically where appropriate. I don't think it is fair to compare Columbia Tri-Star and with Criterion. Columbia is owned by Sony and is a much bigger company with presumably more resources. If Criterion was slow to adopt anamorphic it was likely due to monetary concerns. The scale of their operations are very different, where Criterion has to be much more careful of the business decisions they make.
Old 08-09-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My views of Criterion are simple. If they produce a movie that I really like then I buy it. I do not 'blind buy' Criterion unless it is part of a set of a director or actor or genre that I love. I am thankful I have no need to own every one of them. But for those of you who do, more power to you. I also do not need to upgrade to Criterion unless the previous copy is very bad transfer.

P.S. I don't think that being a good movie is what makes them pick their selection. Alot of them are the same collection I had to view in film class in college. Some I liked, Some I didn't, but all got us talking.
Old 08-09-04, 12:04 PM

If you're familiar with a film Criterion is releasing..buy it.
If not familiar, would highly recommend renting first...even if it's highly recommended by others.

This is what I do..so you can't go wrong.

Cheers
Old 08-09-04, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

Fifty Criterion films. What, that's about a fifth of them?

50 outside of the ones he owns..ask him how many he owns.

Play nice boys/girls.
Old 08-10-04, 07:37 PM

'While I can appreciate it from an aesthetics standpoint, Tokyo Drifter is the only Criterion I've unloaded. I quite enjoy Branded To Kill, however.'

I find this strange... Maybe Criterion can try and grab Pistol Opera. I doubt it, but they can always try.

I haven't seen Down by Law, but I'm NOT gonna put that on the list. I just want to say that if Criterion goes for important and influencial movies, they probably should've taken Stranger than Paradise instead. I'm not a big fan of that movie, but many people seem to think it's great.

About the Columbia Tristar thing. Since 1999, Criterion has been much, much nicer to all their movies. I'm a big fan of Asian flicks and what CTS's been doing in the past two years is appalling. CC is much better with their flicks now.

I don't really think Criterion really makes bad choices. All of the movies are worth buying, in my opinion. True, I haven't seen all of them, but I'm sure they're worth it. The first blind buy I did was Haxan, and I don't regret it. Since then, I've bought a bunch of Criterion movies I've never seen and I've never been disappointed. Besides, if I really don't want a movie, I just don't buy it.

Bottom line, if Criterion releases a movie I think I might be interested in, I have no qualms about buying it.
Old 08-10-04, 07:47 PM

"This is Spinal Tap"

I thought it was going to be a medical thriller, but it was a documentary about this horrible band. I've never even heard of them, and I don't know why anyone would bother making a movie about them, they were so lame.

The singer sort of looked like Lenny from "Laverne and Shirley" and the bass player talked like Principal Skinner.
Man, that's funny. And the lack of the smiley face made it funnier.

The Royal Tenenbaums wasn't too bad, but not Criterion worthy
Oh, please. I guess this is one of those love it hate it movies but for those, like me, who love it, it's hard to see a statement like that.

Last edited by Jeff L; 08-10-04 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-10-04, 08:02 PM

"This is Spinal Tap"

I thought it was going to be a medical thriller, but it was a documentary about this horrible band. I've never even heard of them, and I don't know why anyone would bother making a movie about them, they were so lame.

The singer sort of looked like Lenny from "Laverne and Shirley" and the bass player talked like Principal Skinner.

I just know that the above can't be real.....
Old 08-15-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must admit, this thread has proven to be quite valuable.
Old 08-15-04, 11:40 PM
Cool New Member

Boys and girls, can you spell A-r-m-a-g-e-d-d-o-n?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.