Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dvd Rot Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-04, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
why would you say this? no...it's not. there is never an "end" to anything that can be upgraded through technology. I understand this. I'm just not one of the many who are killing dvd off in the next few years. I'm not ready to jump ship...not by a long shot. really....can we expect films like Seeds Of Sin and Contamination to hit HD-DVD soon? maybe....but I highly doubt it. some of them may not ever make it at all. so I could either just not have it, keep the dvd....or backslide to vhs. when the format does get here....the "big", obvious blockbusters will be the first to arrive. just look at dvd today. just now....are some of the more rare and un-popular titles hitting the current format. I know of more than a hundred faves of mine that still are not on dvd....maybe not for a year or two. the length of the wait will be no shorter for the next format either. how long has dvd been around? thats what I mean. also.....until most households upgrade their theater systems....dvds will be desired.

in my opinion...at least for a time...QC did suck at a few pressing plants. if a dvd is made poorly due to improper bonding or faulty adhesive....born bad is exactly what you get. it's happened at WAMO and Crest National and only more time will tell. those problems were with certian titles...which they seem to have corrected. at least...they say they did.

no worries mate....I wish both you and I all the luck and good fortune in the world. we as consumers....deserve the truth at least. lets just say my faith is growing a little at a time. I do not think my entire library of almost 1,700 titles will die anytime soon. but when you have that many...you should be concerned and voice opinions. thanks for the ear.

If i had your collection i would want to make sure that i had something to play them with long after they quit making regular dvd players and could see having a couple dvd players in boxes to make sure you always had something to play them with,but what i would do diffrently is wait until the tail end of regular dvds(much like we are in the tail end of vhs right now) and buy 3 regular dvd players as they start to quit making them keep them in a box,then you would get players with all the latest features such as 1080i componet upconversion for 40 bucks a piece
Old 08-07-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NEUMANN
If i had your collection i would want to make sure that i had something to play them with long after they quit making regular dvd players and could see having a couple dvd players in boxes to make sure you always had something to play them with,but what i would do diffrently is wait until the tail end of regular dvds(much like we are in the tail end of vhs right now) and buy 3 regular dvd players as they start to quit making them keep them in a box,then you would get players with all the latest features such as 1080i componet upconversion for 40 bucks a piece
thanks, NEUMANN!! I also should have pointed out that a buddy of mine works at a popular store who sells gear....and I get HUGE breaks on certian brands of players. I got a Denon top-o-the-line a few months back for about $200. it sells for $500. so while he was still working there....I took advantage of stocking-up!!

Last edited by gutwrencher; 08-07-04 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-08-04, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gbub
[B]4 still sealed and you'll buy 4 more?! That's the oddest thing I've read in my 5+ years on DVDTalk.

I think as the years go by and other technolgies seem to finally be forcing DVD off the market it won't be an oddity at all....in fact I've talked about it with a few other movie fanatics and they've decided they will do the same thing. When that time comes I'll make sure I have 4 of 'em sitting in the closet waiting for me to need/use them. The players have dropped in price to well under $100 for a good player that will last awhile-I can buy 3 players now for what I bought my first one for, and lots of people here could buy 5 players for what they can buy a new name brand player for. Why NOT stock up and set them aside if they decide to switch formats? I won't be changing media at the whim of the companies, and DVD is good enough for most of the movies I want.
Old 08-08-04, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the labs are correct and DVDs are supposed to last 40-50 years, is rot really a problem if what you're interested in is the content, and not the media?

At the current rate of hard drive progression, I'd imagine 20 years from now you'd be able to transfer all but the largest collections on to a single drive. Granted, by then we'll be buying our movies in another format, but with the ability to make exact digital copies, there won't be a need to re-buy movies you already own. (Once again, assuming it's the content you care about, not just a collection to show off)
Old 08-08-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
I have heard that when HD-DVD is released it will be compatible with regular DVDs. So you have four boxed DVD players despite the fact that it appears the next generation DVD player will be backward compatible?
Old 08-08-04, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by clckworang
I have heard that when HD-DVD is released it will be compatible with regular DVDs. So you have four boxed DVD players despite the fact that it appears the next generation DVD player will be backward compatible?
I've already mentioned my incredible "player deals". the one I shared was a higher priced deck....but if I can get a $150 player for $60...why the hell not. OR...if I must go further....they can simply be called "back-ups". nothing wrong with that what-so-ever.
Old 08-08-04, 11:55 PM

I better start selling mine.
Old 08-10-04, 12:00 AM
Cool New Member

I think DVD's will last longer then 40 years. My 1985 Goonies soundtrack Cd will turn 20 next year and plays as great today as it did 20 years ago. I have VHS tapes that are over 20 years old and still play well. I remember when people said Cd's would never last but 20 years later they are still the main music format. Just because new things will come doesn't mean they'll take off. People all over the world have embraced DVD with open arms. They are not gonna be so quick to give up the format for something new. My guess is anything new that comes along it will also play regular DVD's,or people are not gonna warm up to it so well.
Old 08-10-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I got a Denon top-o-the-line a few months back for about $200. it sells for $500.
Whatever player that was, it was not anywhere near Denon's top of the line, more like lower-side of the mid-line.

Their top of the line is the DVD-5900 with an MSRP of $2000. Second up is the DVD-3910 with an MSRP of $1300. Third is the DVD-2900 with an MSRP of $1000. With a street price of $500, I'm thinking you probably got last year's version of the DVD-2900 (DVD-2800?). Either that or you got a DVM-2815 carousel which has an MSRP of $469 and seems to street for around $325-$350.
Old 08-10-04, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Whatever player that was, it was not anywhere near Denon's top of the line, more like lower-side of the mid-line.

Their top of the line is the DVD-5900 with an MSRP of $2000. Second up is the DVD-3910 with an MSRP of $1300. Third is the DVD-2900 with an MSRP of $1000. With a street price of $500, I'm thinking you probably got last year's version of the DVD-2900 (DVD-2800?). Either that or you got a DVM-2815 carousel which has an MSRP of $469 and seems to street for around $325-$350.
yes, yes, yes. but it's top-o-the-line to me...at this time. none of my players are listed over $500. sorry for the confusion.