Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

October Superbits!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any more word if any of these titles will have new transfers? Cliffhanger in particularly?
Old 10-18-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally posted by cajun_junky
According to the admin at DVD Times the Underworld Superbit is the original, theatrical cut. So I don't know which to get, the extended uncut version or the superbit with DTS. Any thoughts?
I am in the same boat. I have waited on getting this. I have not seen the extended cut but I thought the original was pretty good. I know its not the greatest movie but I really liked the style. The sound was reference quality. I do think that the final monster guy's make-up was disappointing.
Old 10-18-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by fryinpan1
I am happy with the current transfers, sound, and extras for Bad Boys II, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, & Underworld so I will not be double dipping.
Old 10-18-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
I am in the same boat. I have waited on getting this. I have not seen the extended cut but I thought the original was pretty good. I know its not the greatest movie but I really liked the style. The sound was reference quality. I do think that the final monster guy's make-up was disappointing.
I just bought the EE about twio weeks ago for about 14.99 at best buy. I have to say that I preferred it over the Theatrical. Both Sound and picture quality are spectacular, and the added scenes haelp the character developement in a movie that felt to short to begin with. I usually Buy Suberbits...But Underworld I will be skipping.
Old 10-26-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
I just bought the EE about twio weeks ago for about 14.99 at best buy. I have to say that I preferred it over the Theatrical. Both Sound and picture quality are spectacular, and the added scenes haelp the character developement in a movie that felt to short to begin with. I usually Buy Suberbits...But Underworld I will be skipping.
Thanks for the comments. Dvdtalk posted a review of the new superbit version here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12947

but the reviewer did not really compare it to the original or extended releases. Ayone seen a comparison quality-wise review yet?
Old 10-26-04, 05:24 PM

Was thinking about double dipping on these superbits, but I'll just wait for the Blue-ray, especially since itsa sony backed, no reason to triple-dip
Old 10-26-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
did anyone get CLIFFHANGER or BAD BOYS 2 and how was the new transfer/dts?
Old 10-26-04, 11:52 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
Does the EE include the extras from the original theatrical version? If not, what's left out?
Old 10-27-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would still like to hear if Cliffhanger has an updated release.
Old 10-27-04, 10:34 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

www.dvdmg.com and HTF have reviews of Bad Boys II. I thought I remember reading one for Cliffhanger somewhere, but I can't find where.
Old 10-27-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Same here. I have seen the original, but own neither. I would appreciate a comparison. Also, how much time does the DC add over the original?
Old 10-27-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Superman07
Also, how much time does the DC add over the original?
13 minutes.

I think I am going to go with the DC instead of the Superbit since the SB is the theatrical version. I can't imagine the DTS track being much better than the DD. Picture quality is important but it seems to be another case where the original & revsied release is top-notch.
Old 11-15-04, 07:42 AM

We now have our extensive Once Upon A Time In Mexico Superbit vs Standard comparison review here.
Old 11-15-04, 08:22 AM
Banned

has anyone even found the Bad Boys II Superbit in stores? I sure has hell havent.
Old 11-15-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
has anyone even found the Bad Boys II Superbit in stores? I sure has hell havent.
I noticed it in my local Best Buy the other day.
Old 11-29-04, 06:00 PM

We have a great review of last month's Cliffhanger Superbit DVD here.

Snippet:
To sum it all up, Cliffhanger offers tremendous entertainment - stereotypical baddies getting their evil plans cocked up by stalwart muscle-bound heroes. Boys’ Own stuff that you simply can’t beat. It does exactly what it sets out to do – lots of cliffs and lots of people hanging off them.

Janine Turner does unfortunately lapse into pure damsel in distress mode and John Lithgow is about as threatening as a tin of tuna, but Stallone does deliver the goods in his own inimitable style. There are times when it feels like a nod back to First Blood, and that can’t be a bad thing.

Columbia Tristar’s Superbit Edition is very welcome indeed. The AV quality is pixel-perfect and a joy for the ears, too. Obviously you are getting nothing in the extras department but, to be fair, if you love the film enough, it’s probably worth getting anyway to have sitting on the shelf next to its feature-packed region 1 standard edition.
Old 11-29-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I bought it when it came out.

I say it's better than the 2 Disc version. I actually own both. Why both? One for the Special features and one for the sound and picture quality.