Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Evangelion Platinum - Is it worth it?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Evangelion Platinum - Is it worth it?

Old 07-29-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, duder. i can't wait either...the video looks a lot better in the screencap comparisons.
Old 07-29-04, 06:18 PM

I ended up listening to both commentaries last night. They're somewhat entertaining if you're interested in the dubbing perspective, but very light on actual insight into the TV series. In the episode 2 track, which features ADR director Matt Greenfield and Spike "Shinji" Spencer, Matt keeps going on and on about what shows Spike has done and what ADV has done in the past; Spike at one point says (paraphrased), "But we're not talking about that now. We're talking about this (Evangelion)." To which Matt replies (paraphrased again), "Well, no, we're talking about other stuff too." Does he not even get the point of a show-specific commentary? He mentions how all these theories and double meanings regarding dialogue and situations in the show have popped up over the years, and he just glosses over that and starts talking about Blue Seed and Gunsmith Cats instead of going into actual details. Argh.

Other than that, the picture and 5.1 mix are extraordinary, and the booklet is really nice too.
Old 07-29-04, 06:34 PM

Argh, my copy can't be delivered soon enough.
Old 07-30-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by Mudhead
One of the biggest problems for me was that all the characters were so bloody whiny and annoying!
Funny, that's exactly how I feel about most of the people who complain about not liking the show.

Present company excluded, of course.

Yes, some of the characters are whiny, especially Shinji. Obviously, that is intentional. One of the major themes of the show is that it is about young children who are forced to take on adult responsibilities that they are not emotionally or intellectually qualified or prepared for. They're forced to grow up too fast. The story of Evangelion is the story of Shinji's maturation from child to adult.

Last edited by Josh Z; 07-30-04 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My DDD pre-order still hasn't shipped
Old 07-30-04, 05:27 PM

DDD shipped mine yesterday.
Old 07-30-04, 10:26 PM

Watched it today. Was like seeing it for the first time, the improvements in quality are amazing.
Old 07-30-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Darn it--I already have 4 volumes, but the deal available on vol 2 at amazon.ca made me reconsider my plan to just get the rest of the originals for dirt. Hmm...improved a/v and translation...Oh, well--at least I know that they'll be watched frequently : )