Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Writing on dvds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-04, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Writing on dvds?

The topic of storing dvds horizontally is bad for your dvds got me thinking of another problem I have heard of. My friend told me it's bad to lable my dvds and dvdr's with a sharpe, b/c over time the marker can seep into the disc and damage it. Is it true or not that it's bad to write on your dvd's or dvd blanks with a sharpe? If it is why do the dvd-r's or +r's have underline print for you to write on?
Old 07-19-04, 08:34 PM

It depends on the kind of marker.
Old 07-19-04, 08:36 PM

its probably not bad to use a sharpie on them.. isn't that what everyone uses? :P
Old 07-19-04, 08:36 PM

Sharpie extra fine point permanent marker in black?
Old 07-19-04, 08:40 PM

I think sharpies are bad if they are alcohol-based.
Old 07-19-04, 09:29 PM

You would think that in the time it takes for ink to seep into a disc, DVDs will no longer be the medium of choice and you would have already replaced your current disc with its newer, better, more ink resistant format.
Old 07-19-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

some of you guys worry too much
Old 07-19-04, 09:37 PM

Buy a pen that's chemically safe...they're what, 2 dollars? And yes, some markers will damage the disc. Remember that the top layer is usually just a very thin foil metal that's not particularly resistant to chemicals.
Old 07-19-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they're the new Amaray pens then it should be fine.
Old 07-20-04, 01:04 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you are worried, buy those special CD/DVD markers which use substances chemically safe for the discs.
Old 07-20-04, 11:43 AM

So let me get this straight... you're worried about *potentially* (AFAIK, there has not been any DEFINITIVE empirical proof of this) damaging a >$.75 media that, for all intents and purposes, won't even last as long as it would (presumably) take for said ink to (again, presumably) damage the substrate?

Methinks people worry too much about too many insignificant things...
Old 07-20-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
It's not the loss of 75 cents -- it's the loss of the content that you may have no way of getting back
Old 07-30-04, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by GuessWho
It's not the loss of 75 cents -- it's the loss of the content that you may have no way of getting back
I don't buy it - if you can *reasonably* say that you somehow managed to come into posession of a *recordable* medium with data already on it, AND you would have no recourse in terms of an original in case of corruption, then methinks that implies you have something that you shouldn't have...
Old 07-30-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shadowpuppet
I don't buy it
I make a backup of my computer files on DVD-R, my hard drive fails, I go to restore the files from DVD-R and oops! the magic marker ruined the disc.

Isn't that common enough?
Old 08-04-04, 02:25 PM

ever hear of redundant backups? again, not having been empirically proven to be the case, I doubt you'd want to "restore" anything from a DVD-R that has presumably been around long enough (years perhaps?) to have (again, *allegedly*) the marker ink "eat" into the substrate...

'sides, is $.75 too pricey to make a new backup every year or so?

again, I don't buy it. if the data is THAT important, one would think more than one backup would be in order...
Old 08-04-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by shadowpuppet
ever hear of redundant backups? again, not having been empirically proven to be the case, I doubt you'd want to "restore" anything from a DVD-R that has presumably been around long enough (years perhaps?) to have (again, *allegedly*) the marker ink "eat" into the substrate...

'sides, is $.75 too pricey to make a new backup every year or so?

again, I don't buy it. if the data is THAT important, one would think more than one backup would be in order...
EXACTLY! Because everyone knows that the only REAL reason to have DVD-Rs is for bootleg material! Any other excuse is just that, an excuse, a smokescreen!

For those of us who understand the other uses for DVD-Rs, I suggest playing it safe and applying a label to the disc and using a sharpie on THAT.
Old 08-04-04, 03:02 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I've switched from tapes to DVDs for computer backup and I write on the DVD with pens labeled as being suitable for writing on CD.

I believe DVD is even less sensitive to the ink than CD as it doesn't rely on the reflectivity of the surface that you write on. When you scratch the writable surface of a CD you can see through it, that doesn't happen with a DVD.
Old 08-04-04, 03:05 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By all means DO NOT attach a label to your DVD recordables!

I had a set video disks on DVD that became basically UNREADABLE after about 1 hour of viewing.

My movies looked just fine after I first made them. I watched them at least once after burning them. THEN, after making sure they worked, I applied CD Labels to the disks using a proper CD label Stomper.

Bad move.

The disks had pixelization and sound problems ever since.

Somehow the label was causing them to spin SLIGHTLY off and after an hour they got very pixely and garbled.

AFTER i removed the label with a hair dryer and lots of patience the movie works again.

Id rather write on them with sharpies.

edit to add: These are LEGAL recordings of TV shows off of my DVR
Old 08-04-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive used sharpies to write on my cd's / dvds for years and they havent destroyed them.

Everyone I know also uses sharpies so I think its safe to assume they wont destroy your discs.
Old 08-04-04, 03:13 PM

Just last week I attended an Adobe Photoshop conference. One of the tips that he specifically had was not to write on your CDs with a Sharpie. Obviously there is truth to this if the people at Adobe are reporting this. Just an FYI of what I heard.
My opinion, don't write on them at all, find a way to put a label in the case. Easy fix.
Old 08-04-04, 03:17 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I wonder if any anal people will be writing on them with a sharpie but on the INNER CENTER of the disk where no data is opposite it. lol
Old 08-04-04, 03:21 PM

I wonder if the materials experts have an estimate of how long in theory it would take for sharpie ink to actually start effecting these discs?? My guess is about the same time the disc would probably fail anyhow.
Old 08-04-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by groundhog
Obviously there is truth to this if the people at Adobe are reporting this.
Or they may have decided it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 08-04-04, 03:26 PM

The gentleman giving the talk from Adobe, stated he had archived items to a Cd e few years back and he has already come across CDs that were effected by the marker. That is according to him, and that was also writable CDs and not a DVD.
Why would anyone want to write on a DVD anyway. To show that you own it when you loan it to someone? I would think about who I was loaning it to if I were that worried about getting it back.
Old 08-04-04, 03:39 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Theres many possible explanations for a disk failing over time.

Roxio says its ok:
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/discs/discprinting.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.