Lynch's DUNE - SE?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Lynch's DUNE - SE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is strange that it hasnt had the Special Edition treatment in America yet, very odd as there is a market for it and it will sell. I guess we will have to wait, but I love the film and the various versions I have seen are all interesting things, I personally like the Longer TV edit best, but maybe one day we will get the dvd we want, hopefully soon.

I havent seen that TV series version, sounds very odd indeed!
Old 11-30-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about this... this is the Brazil release... it's not in Josh Z's collection, at least per his page... it's a NTSC release so the audio might be a bit better (says Dolby Digital)... but no idea whether the theatrical cut is anamorphic or not.

http://www.dvdbrazil.com/comersus/st...idproduct=1015
Old 11-30-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
Also a back issue of Video Watchdog did a very comprehensive article on the editing of Dune and highlighted many more scenes that Lynch had filmed but ultimately were never scene in the theatrical cut of the film or the tv cut of the film. Word is that all the key scenes in the book were filmed but when it came down to the editing of the film, the story was pretty much pared down.
I have that issue (actually, it's a 2-issue spread). What they compared both versions of the movie to was the script, not footage that was shot but not incorporated. At this time, there is no comprehensive list of what was shot.

What is known is that Lynch was ordered by the producers to stop filming several subplots on the set. One major example is the storyline about Harrah and her sons, who are seen among the Fremen crowds in several shots but have no lines in the finished film. The rest of their scenes were not filmed. Many other scenes that were scripted simply never made it to the stage where cameras rolled.

The TV edit was MCA's attempt to throw in every scrap of footage they could find on the cutting room floor. Undoubtedly they did miss some, but the legend of the 4-hour rough cut is a myth. It never existed.
Old 11-30-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ShagMan
How about this... this is the Brazil release... it's not in Josh Z's collection, at least per his page... it's a NTSC release so the audio might be a bit better (says Dolby Digital)... but no idea whether the theatrical cut is anamorphic or not.

http://www.dvdbrazil.com/comersus/st...idproduct=1015
Interesting. Does that site ship to the US?
Old 11-30-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
Interesting. Does that site ship to the US?
Yep, for another $29! Total around $80. Yikes.
Old 11-30-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I'll let someone else be the first guinea pig!

Any cheaper alternatives?