DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Discounts on large orders?

Old 06-27-04, 04:04 PM
boe
Suspended

Discounts on large orders?

I see that many people here have very large collections. Mine is far less evolved at this point but I've made a list of about 50 or so DVD's I'd like to get. Is there any place that does easy price matching or quantity discounts? I can place all of the orders with about 4 different vendors from dvdpricesearch but was wondering if I might get them for even less if I bought them all from one place.

Thank you

Ideally a place outside CA so I don't have to pay sales tax
Old 06-27-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You should of used the 20% off coupon at DDD.
Old 06-27-04, 04:55 PM

No, he should have used the 20% off coupon at DDD.
Old 06-27-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deep Discount DVD prices matches other online vendors. I'm sure if you phoned in your order with all the information, they would be able to accomodate you.
Old 06-27-04, 06:31 PM
boe
Suspended

Thanks - where did you see this 20% off coupon?
Old 06-27-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by boe
Thanks - where did you see this 20% off coupon?
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=370248

They all expired on 6/25
Old 06-28-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You may also consider digitaleyes.net there is a coupon thread in the bargain forum at the top, and they have reward points which add up to extra money off. Free shipping over 25 bucks as well. They are a sister company of DDD and are usually close to the same price and little better on certain titles. The coupon thread has many people touting their experience with them. Currently I know they have a couple coupons for larger orders.

They also buy and sell used DVDs. I ordered 6 disc last night used and they were 60% off the cheapest new price I could find (about 70-80% off MSRP)

Just a little personal plug - Also, if you don't need it immediatley, watch for the DDD 20% off to be back around Thanksgiving. They had it last year and if they don't have it again it will shock me.
Old 06-28-04, 09:18 PM
boe
Suspended

Thanks speed, I should have been paying attention for that last discount. I may wait until TDay but it is hard when there are so many DVD's I want!

Thanks again for the info - gives me something to think about.
Old 11-03-04, 09:42 PM
boe
Suspended

Originally posted by speedyray

Just a little personal plug - Also, if you don't need it immediatley, watch for the DDD 20% off to be back around Thanksgiving. They had it last year and if they don't have it again it will shock me.
I've been really patient - do you know for sure if they are going to do the discount?
Old 11-03-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by boe
I've been really patient - do you know for sure if they are going to do the discount?
I don't think they ever said it will be an annual sale, it's just being assumed that they will do it again. If it is going to happen it will probably be around the very same time as last year.
Old 11-03-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Someone knows... but they work for DDD and aren't talking. The key word here is patience.
Old 11-04-04, 11:13 AM
boe
Suspended

Originally posted by DrGerbil
Someone knows... but they work for DDD and aren't talking. The key word here is patience.
I can't take it much longer - I'm gettin the shakes I tell you!

P.S. On a serious note - thanks for the response.
Old 11-04-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know a lot of people will roll there eyes but another option is to join Columbia House do a fulfillment then quit then rejoin. It would probably save you a lot of money andit is just another option . I know when I first started buying Dvds I was paying way to much for them and I see the prices now and groan at the money I could have saved. I remember paying full price (before I found his forum) with a 20% off to buy Swingers at Best Buy when it was like $22.99 that one still stings when I see it for less than $10 now(plus I double dipped on it to get the second one that came out). So patience is definitely key.
Old 11-04-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by teddydogg
I know a lot of people will roll there eyes but another option is to join Columbia House do a fulfillment then quit then rejoin.
Good Luck getting enrolled.
Old 11-04-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gerry P.
Good Luck getting enrolled.
Why do you say this? It is pretty easy to enroll.
Old 11-05-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by teddydogg
Why do you say this? It is pretty easy to enroll.
Personal experience.
Old 11-05-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My personal experience is the exact opposite.
Old 12-02-04, 10:33 AM
boe
Suspended

Thanks to this forum, I saved over $100 on purchases with the DDD 20% sale. I appreciate the info I got here. I was careful to look for only items that already had good prices and avoided the preorders since the code I had didn't save on pre-orders. About mid-january, most of the new DVDs I'm hoping to get should be out. Time for me to start saving up again

Thanks!
Old 12-02-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So how many did you end up buying, and how many DVDs do you have now?
Old 12-02-04, 11:10 AM
boe
Suspended

I bought about 20 units -5 of which are box sets so you might say I bought about 45 DVDs. My total savings for the 20% sale was about $140. What I saved up 6 months for a friend of mine buys any given weekend.

I'm still very small time compared to many of the posts I've seen here. I only have a tad over 325 DVDs - 375 if you include box sets as seperate DVDs. I'm limited in my appreciation of movie types so I probably won't own more than 500 in the next few years. I wish the HDDVDs were out so I wouldn't be tempted to double dip on some of these.

Seperate from the 20% discount I asked them do a price match for the SG1 first 3 box sets since at $30 each, that was much more of a savings than the 20% discount. They were very easy going about the process. It would have been absurdly sweet if they gave me the discount on top of that but I can understand why they don't.

Hopefully someone will PM me a code in January or February. From what I'm starting to gather, they have several secret sales/promotions throughout the year that go to different groups. Some of them even include pre-orders but the code I got this time didn't cover those which is OK with me since the DVDs I want won't be out for over a month.

Last edited by boe; 12-02-04 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-02-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by icruise
No, he should have used the 20% off coupon at DDD.

I almost lost my lunch.

Pro-B