DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blake's 7 R2 Question

Old 06-14-04, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blake's 7 R2 Question

I know that this set was re-pressed because of problems with the first pressing... Does anyone know how to identify on the packaging whether it is the new one or the bad one? I just bought it, but don't want to open it until I'm sure that I got the corrected version...
Thanks!
Old 06-14-04, 09:49 AM

When you get it, we'll compare.
Old 06-14-04, 10:01 AM

I was just in the UK, and wanted to pick this up, but according to friends who live there, the old versions were never pulled, so you would have no way of knowing... I examined several copies in different stores and never found anything to indicate updated copies.
Old 06-14-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bummer... I guess I'll just get it and hope for the best...
Old 09-17-04, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, I have been thinking of getting the R2 set of the first series. But, according to some Customer Reviews
on Amazon.co.uk some of the epidodes have been cut.

Those of you who have the set could you please tell me if the Customer Reviews are correct? I definitely don't want to spend my money on something that has been tampered with for whatever reason.

It IS called "The complete season one," though, so I am hoping it is.

Thanks.

Oh, and here's the link to the set.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...006318-5061435
Old 09-17-04, 09:04 AM

smokedragon: I own the Blake's 7 complete first series. The guy on Amazon is smoking something - episodes have not been cut. I wish I could remember my source for this, but it's true.

According to this
thread, the corrected discs can be identified by the first seven characters of a number on the disc. I don't know how or if you can be certain your set has the corrected discs by looking at the box, but according to Post #7 of the HTF thread, if you order from Amazon UK you'll get the corrected discs.

And YIKES! Series 2 was to be released in October. I just now looked at Amazon UK and it's been pushed to January 17, 2005! That's at least the third delay - what could be the reason this time? Whoever is in charge of Blake's 7 releases - get with the program.

Last edited by BigT; 09-17-04 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-17-04, 09:24 AM

IIRC, the bad layer changes on the first pressings would often jump forwards a bit after hanging. This had some people thinking that the episodes were cut. Apparently this is not the case.
Old 09-17-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BigT
smokedragon: I own the Blake's 7 complete first series. The guy on Amazon is smoking something - episodes have not been cut. I wish I could remember my source for this, but it's true.

According to this
thread, the corrected discs can be identified by the first seven characters of a number on the disc. I don't know how or if you can be certain your set has the corrected discs by looking at the box, but according to Post #7 of the HTF thread, if you order from Amazon UK you'll get the corrected discs.

And YIKES! Series 2 was to be released in October. I just now looked at Amazon UK and it's been pushed to January 17, 2005! That's at least the third delay - what could be the reason this time? Whoever is in charge of Blake's 7 releases - get with the program.
Thank you for the information.I appreciate it.
Old 09-18-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my S1 from Amazon.uk but didn't see anything wrong with them. If shipping wasn't so high you could keep sending back the bad ones.